mexico_man_2000

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Hello,
I have a two-computer home network (wired). Computer A hosts the printer (shared). Computer A can print to printer. Computer B can see printer, can submit a job to the queue, and the print job can be seen in the printer queue on computer A, but then it simply disappears without printing. New problem since installing Sophos AV and latest XP updates (still at SP2 since SP3 won't load). Why does the job make it to the queue only to disappear w/o printing? How to fix?

No, installing updates NEVER affects XP computers adversely, just ask anyone in this forum,except for me because I MUST be crazy.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com /forum/247664-45-important-turn-automatic-windows-security-updates#t897649
take the spaces out of the above link before copy paste to browser window

But in the meantime,
. Have you tried to run system restore, setting the drive back to a time before the computer started having problems? Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible. And you will like this because Sophos AV and your latest updates will be un-done and will disappear, as if to turn back time.
Now hold on a sec, you can still load sophos AV back in later to experiment, to see if it affects the printer function.
And you can still load the updates back in later to see if it affects the printer function.
But one at a time please, so you can narrow down the actual cause.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

Ali Zeeny

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Press your Windows key and R together then into the Open box, type services.msc and hit Enter. Scroll through the list to Print Spooler Service and double click it. Click on the Stop button then on Apply and OK and restart the machine. Closing that Service should have purged the print queue and the Service will automatically start as normal after the restart.