Question Does 16gb non dual channel ram performs better than 8gb dual-channel ram?

Jul 1, 2020
I have a Ryzen 3 3200g with an 8gb single-channel RAM. And i notice that dual-channel RAM improves gaming by a big difference.

My only upgrade option is either to buy another 8gb single-channel ram of the exact brand or an 8gb dual-channel kit.
Here's my confusion:

Does 16gb non dual channel ram performs better than 8gb dual-channel ram? Which option should I go with?

P.S: this is my first time posting here so please take it with a grain of salt. Thanks!

Buying another stick is still dual channel but the issue is that it wasn't tested together so not guaranteed to work. It's not that dual channel won't work, but rather the pc could not be run with both sticks in. It most likely will work assuming you get the same exact stick but you have been warned. There is no difference vs buying a pair of sticks other than them being tested together.

Jul 1, 2020
Buying another stick is still dual channel but the issue is that it wasn't tested together so not guaranteed to work. It's not that dual channel won't work, but rather the pc could not be run with both sticks in. It most likely will work assuming you get the same exact stick but you have been warned. There is no difference vs buying a pair of sticks other than them being tested together.
Assume I buy another stick of the exact same brand of the exact same series, will it performs as if it was 2x8gb kit?

Pardon my confusion.

kanewolf

Titan
Assume I buy another stick of the exact same brand of the exact same series, will it performs as if it was 2x8gb kit?

Pardon my confusion.
Unknown. Vendors sell "matched" sets and guarantee them to work as a set. "The same" is not guaranteed to be actually the same. The manufacturer can change parts without changing model or name. Even if the same parts are used there is variation. Two "of the same" might work together or might not. It is not a predictable behavior.

Jul 1, 2020
Unknown. Vendors sell "matched" sets and guarantee them to work as a set. "The same" is not guaranteed to be actually the same. The manufacturer can change parts without changing model or name. Even if the same parts are used there is variation. Two "of the same" might work together or might not. It is not a predictable behavior.
So should I choose 16gb but risking it to not work symbiotically, or 2x4gb and have a guaranteed performance? Also I don't have a discrete graphics card so every gig of ram matters.

P.S Buying 2x8gb is not an option. I'm still broke AF

TRENDING THREADS