[SOLVED] Does 8GB RAM actually hold you back?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Every comparison video I've looked up either has the 16 gb on dual channel vs 8gb on single channel. Or they don't mention if both are on same number of channels at all.

Like most people, I'm interested to see whether the extra memory can actually make a noticeable difference if both run on single channel.

My question is "Does 8GB Memory actually hold you back while gaming?"

So, comparisons/experience like these are appreciated:

2×4gb vs 2×8gb
Or,
1×8gb vs 1×16gb

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, and Yes. When it comes to gaming anyway.

Having only 8GB is not enough for some recent titles, and particularly if you wanted to multitask at all. Like also have discord, and maybe a browser open at the same time.

Single channel memory drastically reduces the bandwidth available to the CPU. You can see as much as 20% reduction in FPS in some games, which should be all over Youtube.

16GB is good, there are a few games that can exceed that, particularly modded titles.

1x16GB isn't super common yet, kind of have to go out of your way to see that happen. OEMs are still dumping 4GB and 8GB sticks (You do see a lot of 12GB systems)

Still, going to have the same bandwidth problem.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Having only 8GB is not enough for some recent titles, and particularly if you wanted to multitask at all. Like also have discord, and maybe a browser open at the same time.

Single channel memory drastically reduces the bandwidth available to the CPU. You can see as much as 20% reduction in FPS in some games, which should be all over Youtube.

16GB is good, there are a few games that can exceed that, particularly modded titles.

1x16GB isn't super common yet, kind of have to go out of your way to see that happen. OEMs are still dumping 4GB and 8GB sticks (You do see a lot of 12GB systems)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
every comparison video? maybe you need to search better?

depend, if the software/os need more than 8GB, on today system. 8GB is fine for web browsing
I've searched quite a lot. Types I've found:
  1. 2×8gb vs 1×16gb
  2. 1×8gb vs 2×8gb
But haven't found a video where it's clearly mentioned that it is 1×8gb vs 1×16gb.
I'll search for more on my next time off.

kanewolf

Titan
I've searched quite a lot. Types I've found:
  1. 2×8gb vs 1×16gb
  2. 1×8gb vs 2×8gb
But haven't found a video where it's clearly mentioned that it is 1×8gb vs 1×16gb.
I'll search for more on my next time off.
1 DIMM vs 2 DIMMs will ALWAYS have a performance penalty. Desktop CPUs have two channel memory controllers. They will always perform better with two DIMMs compared to one.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED

I see. The thing is, I'm buying a RAM soon. But there's no dual kit ram available around. So i was wondering if 1×16gb would actually be beneficial or it only performs noticeably better when in dual channel. (If the difference is like ~10% when both are on single channel, I'd buy a single 8gb stick for now)

And i was also wondering if there are any games i can never play if I go for the 8gb. (Would be a great help if you knew such titles)

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
1 DIMM vs 2 DIMMs will ALWAYS have a performance penalty. Desktop CPUs have two channel memory controllers. They will always perform better with two DIMMs compared to one.
Sadly, i could not find a single paired kit available in my country. NOT A SINGLE ONE. So, I'm stuck with single channel unless I go for the "buy two RAMs and pray that they pair well" route.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can't think of any games that won't run on only 8GB off the top of my head, they'll just run a lot slower, have load in glitches, etc. It will default to using the hard drive/SSD for any overflow. Some games might default to lower settings if less than the desirable amount of memory is present.

Buying two single sticks isn't ideal, but chances are pretty good when you buy them at the same time. Very likely they came from the same batch.

Reactions: Ziadul87

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
It may affect the maximum performance, as the CPU won't be able to get the data it needs to crunch as fast as it possibly can. But if your target is 60 FPS? It's likely not going to be a problem to achieve that if the CPU runs on a single channel.
going for more than 60fps will require both GPU and monitor upgrade. Not happening when 1050Tis are selling for 400$

Every comparison video I've looked up either has the 16 gb on dual channel vs 8gb on single channel. Or they don't mention if both are on same number of channels at all.

Like most people, I'm interested to see whether the extra memory can actually make a noticeable difference if both run on single channel.

My question is "Does 8GB Memory actually hold you back while gaming?"

So, comparisons/experience like these are appreciated:

2×4gb vs 2×8gb
Or,
1×8gb vs 1×16gb
If you want to play modern games your looking for 2x8GB.
That should give you enough ram to keep the swap file quiet and enable dual channel.
These folks ship to many countries just click on the flag.

Reactions: Ziadul87
Buying two single sticks isn't ideal, but chances are pretty good when you buy them at the same time. Very likely they came from the same batch.
If you buy two 8GB sticks, at the same time, that are exactky the same model, you'll have a very good chance (75% or greater) of them working fine in dual-channel mode.

Issues crop up when someone has a single stick from 2 years ago and tries to double their RAM by finding the exact same model stick now. Even though the model will be exactly the same, the underlying SMDs are probably different today than the one from 2 years ago, which will cause issues when they try to run them in dual-channel. This is why people, like myself, always recommend buying together in a kit.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
If you want to play modern games your looking for 2x8GB.
That should give you enough ram to keep the swap file quiet and enable dual channel.
These folks ship to many countries just click on the flag.
Ships to india but doesn't ship to bangladesh :(

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
If you buy two 8GB sticks, at the same time, that are exactky the same model, you'll have a very good chance (75% or greater) of them working fine in dual-channel mode.

Issues crop up when someone has a single stick from 2 years ago and tries to double their RAM by finding the exact same model stick now. Even though the model will be exactly the same, the underlying SMDs are probably different today than the one from 2 years ago, which will cause issues when they try to run them in dual-channel. This is why people, like myself, always recommend buying together in a kit.
and about latency,
my mobo max speed is limited to 2133mhz for ram. how much difference will there be between CL15 and CL19 at 2133mhz? (paired with i3 6100)
here it says, difference in CL is only noticeable through certain synthetic benchmarks but users can't even feel them.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just to comment on a couple of games. For Warzone, you really would want 16gb. FC6 not sure but would suspect it'll be quite memory intensive as well.

Would be worth taking a risk pairing single bought sticks of same specs for dual channel to give your hyperthreaded dual core processor the best chance it can because it's going to be thread challenged extensively. Can you return ram in case mixing doesn't work?