[SOLVED] Does 8GB RAM actually hold you back?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Every comparison video I've looked up either has the 16 gb on dual channel vs 8gb on single channel. Or they don't mention if both are on same number of channels at all.

Like most people, I'm interested to see whether the extra memory can actually make a noticeable difference if both run on single channel.

My question is "Does 8GB Memory actually hold you back while gaming?"

So, comparisons/experience like these are appreciated:

2×4gb vs 2×8gb
Or,
1×8gb vs 1×16gb

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, and Yes. When it comes to gaming anyway.

Having only 8GB is not enough for some recent titles, and particularly if you wanted to multitask at all. Like also have discord, and maybe a browser open at the same time.

Single channel memory drastically reduces the bandwidth available to the CPU. You can see as much as 20% reduction in FPS in some games, which should be all over Youtube.

16GB is good, there are a few games that can exceed that, particularly modded titles.

1x16GB isn't super common yet, kind of have to go out of your way to see that happen. OEMs are still dumping 4GB and 8GB sticks (You do see a lot of 12GB systems)

Still, going to have the same bandwidth problem.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
What was wrong with the ram? I thought you were only talking metaphor of someone with bad luck.
No. The whole reason i was buying a new RAM was because my present Ram is faulty and i couldn't send it to RMA last time.
Anyway, so, what do you think? According to linus, i should not have any problems pairing the two of them at base speeds. My mobo would downclock it to 2133mhz anyway.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
If timings are same there's a good chance. Won't know for sure until they're in the machine. Even if they didn't work at first there are things to try so we'll see.
I guess I'll give it a go. Btw, I was apparently running Manual timings for my past RAM. Do i have to reset BIOS before setting up the new RAM so that BIOS automatically adjusts the timings?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
What made you think the ram was faulty btw?
Things I've tried:

1. Memtest86: Failed
  2. BIOS update: Didn't help
  3. HDD Check: Perfect Condition
  4. Erase and Re-install all drivers: Didn't help
  5. Aida64: Hardware Failure Detected error
  6. Reassemble PC: Didn't help
  7. Prime 95: Fatal Error: Rounding was X.X, expected less than 0
So, i reached the conclusion that the RAM was faulty.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Yeah sounds like bad ram then, same symptoms in another machine.

Keep us posted how the new rams go.
It may take till Monday for new RAM to arrive. And about a month (sadly) for the other ram to come back from RMA. Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated. And again, thanks a lot for how much you guys help others(like me) at Tom's hardware.

Reactions: boju

Endre

Reputable
So, I paid a visit to the shop and this time around they accepted my faulty ram for RMA. But it'll take up to a month for it to return. In the meantime i am thinking of buying another 8gb kit which I'll pair with the other ram when it comes back.

Ram i sent for RMA:
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR2400mhz Cl16
16-16-16-39
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK8GX4M1A2400C16

Ram I'm thinking of buying:
Walton Antique DDR4 2400Mhz CL16
16-16-16-43
https://waltonbd.com/ram/wdr4l0826nn3

What are the odds they'll work together?

Linus said in one of his videos,"RAM compatibility with DDR4 has come a long way to the point where basically it just freaking works"

View: https://youtu.be/bTS0ybQ3lCI

So, i guess it's worth trying?

You can try that. And usually it works.
But when mixing RAM there are no guarantees!
Please keep that in mind.
If it won’t work, you won’t be able to blame anyone else, except yourself.

Reactions: Ziadul87

DSzymborski

Titan
If you went ahead and bought more RAM, why didn't you buy RAM that was suitable for Ryzen APUs? You're worrying about single vs. dual channel memory affecting your game performance but ignoring the fact that you're just giving away performance by using very slow RAM on a platform that craves fast RAM.

If you want to maximize your performance on a Ryzen APU, cancel your order, buy a 2x8 kit of RAM clocked at a bare minimum of 3000.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
If you went ahead and bought more RAM, why didn't you buy RAM that was suitable for Ryzen APUs? You're worrying about single vs. dual channel memory affecting your game performance but ignoring the fact that you're just giving away performance by using very slow RAM on a platform that craves fast RAM.

If you want to maximize your performance on a Ryzen APU, cancel your order, buy a 2x8 kit of RAM clocked at a bare minimum of 3000.
I don't know who you're saying that to. But just to be clear. I use i3 6100 and GTX1650.

DSzymborski

Titan
Even superman gets overwhelmed haha

A bad, slightly embarrassing multi-tasking story.

About 15 years ago, I was busy modeling recipe profitability in Final Fantasy XI (I originally had a math/econ background from college) for my own nefarious ends. At the same time, I was writing a piece for the Oakland Tribune. Because of a bad copy-paste, I pasted one of the cooking items in Final Fantasy XI into my Tribune piece. I get a message from the editor a few hours later "What the hell is an Apple Pie+1?"

Reactions: boju and DRagor
So, I paid a visit to the shop and this time around they accepted my faulty ram for RMA. But it'll take up to a month for it to return. In the meantime i am thinking of buying another 8gb kit which I'll pair with the other ram when it comes back.

Ram i sent for RMA:
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR2400mhz Cl16
16-16-16-39
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK8GX4M1A2400C16

Ram I'm thinking of buying:
Walton Antique DDR4 2400Mhz CL16
16-16-16-43
https://waltonbd.com/ram/wdr4l0826nn3

What are the odds they'll work together?

Linus said in one of his videos,"RAM compatibility with DDR4 has come a long way to the point where basically it just freaking works"

View: https://youtu.be/bTS0ybQ3lCI

So, i guess it's worth trying?

I would not recommend mixing kits, even if timings and speeds are the same. Theyre not guaranteed to work properly and could just be a big waste of time and money. If you want 16gb, just buy a new 2x8gb kit and sell the old 2x4gb kit. I did this and it made my new kit only cost 40 bucks because I got 40 for my old kit.

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I would not recommend mixing kits, even if timings and speeds are the same. Theyre not guaranteed to work properly and could just be a big waste of time and money. If you want 16gb, just buy a new 2x8gb kit and sell the old 2x4gb kit. I did this and it made my new kit only cost 40 bucks because I got 40 for my old kit.
I've decided to seel one of the new RAMs if they don't work. So, worst case, maybe a 8-10$ waste. I hope it doesn't come to that though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If playing shooters best leave pointer precisions off or any enhancement related to it if want to control accuracy yourself by feel.

Those dpi macros is like having key binds to adjust different sensitivities for various tasks. Ie more or less sensitivity while sniping zoomed.

Reactions: Ziadul87

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Turned pointer precision to the lowest value. Mouse pointer won't move 1 inch even if i move the mouse a whole feet lol. Looks like it was something related to sensitivity, not acceleration.
Btw, what is that fire speed slider?