[SOLVED] Does a blu-ray reader perform better at recovering faulty CD-R / DVD-R's?

zrx8

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
I have some old, partially unreadable CR-R's and DVD-R's. I tried many CD and DVD drives using recovery tools like isopuzzle and so on, but unfortunately there are still missing sectors mostly at the end of the volume. Back in the days I verified all of them after burning, but I didn't foresee the aging of the discs. My question: would it worth trying a BD-reader for CD-R/DVD-R recovery purposes? I mean, as BD has a much higher data density, perhaps these drives perform a higher oversampling at reading legacy formats, thus rising the probability of a successful error correction. I may be wrong. I'd be mostly interested in real hands on experiences. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Blu-ray lense is different and used only for Blu-ray discs. Blu-ray players with cd/dvd compatibility use a different lense that is also built in.

Suggestion. If there are scratches, go to a movie or games rental franchise and ask if they can buff your discs. Buffering may help but yeah, discs do degrade. Takes a long time though.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Blu-ray lense is different and used only for Blu-ray discs. Blu-ray players with cd/dvd compatibility use a different lense that is also built in.

Suggestion. If there are scratches, go to a movie or games rental franchise and ask if they can buff your discs. Buffering may help but yeah, discs do degrade. Takes a long time though.

Last edited:
Solution