Does a IPS monitor have a higher input lag than a TN panel monitor when used for FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer501

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
I am looking at getting off my tv for gaming and using a monitor with my ps4. I mostly play FPS like call of duty. I am looking at the BenQXL2420TE(144hz) and the BenQRL2455HM(60hz). I know that the ps4 only runs at 60fps. But I was wondering if the input lag would be greater on 144hz.

Solution
Just wanted to clarify, response time is not input lag (or input response), and the term "lag time" is not used to refer to anything simply because there are different types of lag and that would be a broad term. Response time is usually gtg, the time it takes for pixels to change from gray to white to gray. Input lag is the time it takes from the moment of input til the time the pixels change on screen. Response time factors into input lag. There is no standard of testing input lag and you will see different review places using different methods.

If it's 120hz it's going to be tn. There are very few ips 120hz+ and that pretty much only includes the oc korean monitors.

...what.

No. Just no.

IPS monitors are significantly slower to respond, which means that they have a higher input lag.

Rereading your sentence, I'm not really sure what you were meaning to say, so just to clarify your point:

IPS panels are slower. TN panels are faster. High refresh rate TN panels beat everything else.

You won't notice the difference in input response. You will however notice the awesome colour depth that is a mainstay of IPS panels.

Tn and higher hz is generally faster but this doesn't mean it will be on every tn or 144hz. It's specific on the monitors being compared. Those both are tn though so I'm not sure why ips was mentioned. Anything I find on google shows those 2 monitors are similar input lag.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the TV gameer501 is using would count for a lot comparing input lag to either an IPS or TN panel monitor.

Try your luck turning off additional post processing effects in the tv menu or select game mode option if it has one which will turn a lot of those processes off and may be more acceptable to you.

I'm not sure what the Ps4 can do exactly because don't think noone has said anything regarding it's ability to do 144hz, i would guess not. The monitor wouldn't be doing what it's designed for or taking advantage of if not used correctly i would have thought, could be wrong. Does 144hz monitor still perform silky smooth when the source is doing 60hz?

Imo would stick to at most 5 ms IPS 60hz panel or the best looking TN panel you can find since TN panel you're pretty much guaranteed good response times with reduce image quality. 5ms IPS monitor Vs's your TV (Assuming it has terrible input lag which most do even if post effects are off) would be day and night difference in input lag.

Another suggestion is try a friends monitor if possible, Hdmi to DVI adapters are available if needed.

gamer501

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

Ok we are both on the same page. Your reply is how I interpreted everything I have read on monitors. Just wanted some confirmation. Like everything on the internet I have found conflicting post. The other question would be, are their 120hz and 144hz TN panel monitors. I have seen plenty of 120hz and 144hz, but they all seem to be IPS monitors.

gamer501

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

ouch now I am showing that I am a noob when it comes to monitors, I thought that the XL model was a IPS. My bad

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If the monitor has the connections i dont see why not. The op wants a monitor for his PS4, hes currently using a TV which obviously has bad input lag. Any monitor will fare much better :) and cheaper if 60hz too. Like i said, comparison will be night and day to what he's used to from the TV.

gamer501

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

Yea that's what I am trying to figure out. I was looking at the 60hz model because of that. I just wasn't sure if I went with the other model that is 144hz, does that mean I will see no improvement in the picture since I am using it on a ps4 that runs at 60fps?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
gamer501, whats your audio setup? If you have an A/V receiver never mind this but if you're using the TV speakers or optical out from the TV to additional speakers then using a monitor will disrupt this if it doesn't have speakers so keep that in mind as well.

The ps4 has an optical out (just need to set that instead of hdmi) if required.

gamer501

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

True the input lag on the TV is bad. And both models do have HDMI connections on the monitors for the ps4. Which is a problem in itself because of limitations of HDMI. But I do believe switching to the monitors will make a world of difference

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There will be no visual improvement using a capable 144hz monitor compared to 60hz on the PS4 unfortunately. But that doesn't need to be bad thing, you need a low input lag monitor for your fps games and a 1ms 60hz monitor will do that for you. Research on best 60hz monitor.

There is plenty of 60hz monitors out there but if it does happen and there's only a 120hz monitor available where you shop for roughly the same price as a 60hz then that would still be ok at 60fps. Not sure if Ps4 is only limited to a Vsync of 30 and 60 albeit 144hz monitor is odd numbers, and when not sustainable at 144hz, Vsync will default to 36/72/144hz and not 100% sure what the ps4 would do there. Safest way is to stay 60 or 120 - if you cant get a 60 for whatever reason

boju

Titan
Ambassador
if you haven't thought about it yet, getting your self an A/V Receiver package would solve a lot of hassle with visual and audio connecting to Ps4.

Something like; http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3500-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88V8/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1413092467&sr=1-1&keywords=5.1+surround

If your good with monitor speakers or monitor headphone jack to set of speakers thats good. The above Receiver and many others have a hdmi out video pass through for displays while still playing sound :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure if you seen my first post or skimmed through it briefly but have you tried turning off effects filters on your tv? Tv's will have some options for this, turning of image enhancers might result in improved input response.

Just wanted to clarify, response time is not input lag (or input response), and the term "lag time" is not used to refer to anything simply because there are different types of lag and that would be a broad term. Response time is usually gtg, the time it takes for pixels to change from gray to white to gray. Input lag is the time it takes from the moment of input til the time the pixels change on screen. Response time factors into input lag. There is no standard of testing input lag and you will see different review places using different methods.

If it's 120hz it's going to be tn. There are very few ips 120hz+ and that pretty much only includes the oc korean monitors.

Solution
Jul 28, 2020

You won't notice the difference in input response. You will however notice the awesome colour depth that is a mainstay of IPS panels.
Not true (for me) i notice A HUGEEE difference maybe its because im into competitive but if u are casual then go for ips maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.