Question does a Ryzen 2600x need bios update to work with b450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2021
hello I'm building my first PC and I got a ryzen 5 2600x for Christmas and a b450 motherboard but when I tried to boot it nothing happed no post or anything then a few seconds later the PC turns off by its self so I was wondering if I need a bios update or something to do with the motherboard

hello I'm building my first PC and I got a ryzen 5 2600x for Christmas and a b450 motherboard but when I tried to boot it nothing happed no post or anything then a few seconds later the PC turns off by its self so I was wondering if I need a bios update or something to do with the motherboard
On a piece of cardboard.
Psu.
Mobo.
Cpu/hsf.
One stick of ram.

Nothing else connected.

Does it power on and stay on?

ya sorry it doesn't post or anything it just turns on then off after a while
Be sure to do a CMOS reset.

It sounds like you are bench-testing it. Are fans hooked up to it? especially the CPU cooler fan, not just the heatsink, and connected to the CPU fan header.

It will fail POST with no GPU attached and probably just shuts off after a while because....why waste energy?

Dec 31, 2021
Be sure to do a CMOS reset.

It sounds like you are bench-testing it. Are fans hooked up to it? especially the CPU cooler fan, not just the heatsink, and connected to the CPU fan header.

It will fail POST with no GPU attached and probably just shuts off after a while because....why waste energy?
I tried with and without the graphics card even with the CMOS reset but it still turns of after a while and everything is plugged in

I tried with and without the graphics card even with the CMOS reset but it still turns of after a while and everything is plugged in
I don't think that board has troubleshooting LED's to tell you where it's failing POST. You'll need a system speaker to get beep codes. Or just swap parts until you find what's bad. I'd suspect the GPU first since it could be rather old.

Dec 31, 2021
I don't think that board has troubleshooting LED's to tell you where it's failing POST. You'll need a system speaker to get beep codes. Or just swap parts until you find what's bad. I'd suspect the GPU first since it could be rather old.
I was thinking to maybe take it to a computer/ electronic store to see it they could do anything but most places around where I live charge 30 dollars plus so I thought I would ask here

Wolfshadw

Titan
You can disregard attempting to boot without a graphics card. Neither your motherboard nor your CPU has integrated graphics so your system absolutely will not boot without a graphics card installed.

You have the GPU installed in the top PCI-Ex16 expansion slot (closest to the CPU Socket)?
Does the graphics card have external PCI-E power ports and if so, are they connected to your power supply?

-Wolf sends

I was thinking to maybe take it to a computer/ electronic store to see it they could do anything but most places around where I live charge 30 dollars plus so I thought I would ask here
30 dollars actually seems a good price. But he might find it in 5 min's, or simply looking at it on his counter while taking your money. But the way this is going is like playing 20 questions....I'd suggest going through the troubleshooting bench checks below. It helps you find small things you may have overlooked...like PCIe connections to GPU.

Dec 31, 2021
You can disregard attempting to boot without a graphics card. Neither your motherboard nor your CPU has integrated graphics so your system absolutely will not boot without a graphics card installed.

You have the GPU installed in the top PCI-Ex16 expansion slot (closest to the CPU Socket)?
Does the graphics card have external PCI-E power ports and if so, are they connected to your power supply?

-Wolf sends
yes, I had everything plugged in and in the right pcie slot I just don't know whats wrong

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Plug the gpu into the second gpu slot. Most times that works to get the gpu recognised by the bios and the correct settings and voltages and links applied. After it boots, a couple of times, then you move it back to the primary slot.

The other thing that sometimes happens is there's a pin#20 issue with DisplayPort. It hangs up the boot process by refusing the handshake and you get a no boot vga error. Thays easily fixable by using hdmi temporarily until the gpu is fully recognised by bios.

And to answer the original question, yes and no. The bios on the board is whatever it was at the time of manufacture, which if it's a B450 was quite some time ago possibly. So it should work with any ram etc that was out at that time. Since then there have been farther updates and Agesa updates and fixes for newer ram and other bug fixes, which you won't have. So while ypu may not Need a bios update, it is Advised you do update to the latest non-beta as that'll have the bug fixes and broadest compatibility.

Dec 31, 2021

-Wolf sends
by any chance could my power supply be broken or have any problems ??

Status
Not open for further replies.