Does AMD Radeon GPU Mean AMD CPU?

stosterud

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hello,

If I get a motherboard with PCI-E 3.0, then I'll probably want to buy a graphics card to go with it, which proably means going with AMD.

If I buy a high-end AMD GPU, is there any benefit to buying an AMD CPU to go with it?

I had been leaning toward the i7-3930k with an nVidia card, but now I'm not so sure about the graphics card.

Thank you,
~Steve

Solution
doesn't matter if you mix cpu and gpu brands.
PCI-E 3.0 has only just got a bandwidth benefit for modern cards. This may change to a bigger benefit on the GTX680.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

it doens necessarily beat it hands down

if a task could use all the cores then the 1100t would be faster but and i5 would be better for games and things than the 1100t

and the socket 1155 is regarded as the best platform for games at the moment

especially as the soon to be released ivy bridge cpu's are going to use the same socket

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
thenerdal, that depends on the task as well, i3 doesnt beat amd in everything, also a slightly overclocked phenom x4 cand outgame a stock i3, but remember the good AMDs, like phenom II and athlon II, are much older than a sandy bridge cpu. lik, i think they came out just a little while after core 2's and a bit before the lga 1156
core i's. anyone have a bit more exact time frame than that?

mitunchidamparam

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
AMD CPU are cheap and they may not be as good in bechmarks as intel but AMD CPUS are the best all rounders.
IF you go with AMD cpu, you can get a motherboard with pci 3 for a price much lower than the intel ones.
And AMD cpus can over clock like a beast.

The Intel i5-2500K, at $200, is by far the best deal that exists for a gamer.

You can of course spend a little more but I wouldn't go with AMD or get a cheaper CPU.

As for the GRAPHICS CARD there are several choices. NVidia's new GTX6xx series still isn't released but IMO the following is the card to beat at the high end:

Sapphire Tech HD7950 OC

(this card is about $490, has a dual bios for overclocking, a really awesome and quiet cooling solution and has been overclocked by up to 45%!! I recommend no more than 25% though and do your research on BOTH the Wattage requirement for the system and the AMP requirement for an OVERCLOCKED version of this card. A slightly overclocked HD7950 OC needs about 50Amps but I'd get at least 60Amps on the +12V rail).

SUMMARY:
- Intel CPU's for gamers only
- Graphics Cards (recommend HD7xxx or GTX6xx)
- PCIe 3.0 for new motherboards (does not require Ivy Bridge. I saw a great Asus 1155 board for $180 with PCIe 3)
- BALANCE FOR GAMING (too cheap a CPU and it's a bottleneck. Too much money spent on a CPU and you're not spending that on Graphics).

*High-end CPU/GPU balance for price:
- Intel CPU $200 to $350
- AMD/NVidia Graphics $200 to $500

**It's okay to buy a $300 Intel CPU and "ONLY" a $200 graphics card. Many games will still be maxed out. This CPU will be used for video conversion but it also means you CAN buy a much better graphics card in the future.

So building a balanced system is not just about what you want to do with it NOW but also in the future (so don't buy a cheap CPU that you will end up replacing soon).

mitunchidamparam

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Man o man, How the hell can a intel i5 2500 k which costs 200 $beat a 8 core AMD 8120 which costs 150$
Guys did u look at the bechmarks , all these CPU give you a frame rate of more than 50 FPS, what else do u need.
Those 50 $ + 50 $ cheaper motherboard can be spent on a Graphics card and will give you much better performance.
This is a fact. Please explain me if I am wrong.

"Intel i5 2500K did beat the FX-8120 with more than three times better results in some tests and throughout our tests it showed better or similar performance. As they are both priced similarly around 200USD, it may be hard to justify a reason why you should buy the FX-8120."

*I also believe that there is an issue with Windows not yet properly supporting 8 physical cores. This shouldn't affect gaming benchmarks.

Hi :)

Perhaps you should look at this....

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

All the best Brett :)

You can buy motherboards that support both Crossfire and SLI.
(Until they solve micro-stuter and the periodic frame rate drop issue I'll never invest in two cards.)

Basically gamers should get Intel CPU's such as the i5-2500K or the i7-2600K. There are no gaming benchmarks for good gaming systems that are better with AMD.

If I was building a system today, I would personally build like this:

1. Motherboard:
1155 motherboard (P8Z68-V Pro Asus) that supports PCIe v3 (it's not Ivy Bridge)

2. CPU:
Intel i7-2500K

3. Graphics:
- Sapphire Tech HD7950 OC, or
- GTX680

For #3 we're still awaiting benchmarks. Will also have to factor in overclocking (HD7950 got unofficial 45% over stock), CUDA, PhysX v3 etc.

*NOTE: NVidia has a new PhysX v3 coming. Only the GTX6xx (and higher) support this fully. No PhysX v3 games have been created yet. This simply means more physics calculations. I'm not sure how big a deal this is.

NVidia or AMD?
I have an HD5870, but I'm leaning towards an NVidia GTX680. I'm going to compare it to the HD7950 OC from Sapphire Tech but basically NVidia has my nod for driver support, PhysX and CUDA. However, that was the deal when I bought my HD5870 and the GTX4xx series ran so hot I didn't go with NVIDIA.

(so I'm buying NVidia unless the screw up somehow)

"SLI and CF are actually really great bro IMO experience with them the only difference was allot more performance and the need to DL some hot fix drivers to enable the dual cards in some Brand new games when they first came out. PS would you even use CUDA if going to Nvidia ? and how many games that you own actually have Physx ? and AMD drivers are really solid I have just as many issues with my Nvidias. "

- SLI/Crossfire. It can work okay but just be aware there are PROS and CONS to this. For myself the Cons outweight the Pros. Here's a really great article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stutter-crossfire,2995.html

*Note that the new HD7xxx cards can turn off almost 100% of the second card (or the second GPU for a dual-GPU card).

- DRIVER SUPPORT. The general consensus appears to be that NVidia is quicker for new games and in general is a little better. I've been very happy with my HD5870 so, I guess... whatever. They are both pretty good.

- PHYSX.
No. I don't use it (I have an HD5870). In fact, since PhysX has a big hit on performance I wouldn't have used it in any game that brought my frame rate below 60FPS. If I can get 60FPS and PhysX adds a little eye candy then sure, I'd then use it.

Basically, everything being equal, PhysX would tip the balance. (I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.)

- CUDA:
I convert a lot of videos. I have several thousand of raw conversion hours of work left to do and my CPU (i7-860) uses all 8 threads at 100% when converting. So I'm hoping a GTX680 will be a huge help.

FYI, the OPENCL initiative is still progressing (basically about using both the CPU and GPU for processing at the same time). I've seen no indication that a good video conversion program will be ready in the next two years using OpenCL so the main option still seems to be CUDA (and Kepler supports OpenCL as well).

double-facepalm.jpeg

stosterud

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Thank you all for your comments.

I didn't mean to start any arguments over AMD v. Intel, but I suppose that's bound to happen. I just wanted to know if getting an AMD GPU means I should get an AMD CPU and I think I have enough information to go on. So, again, thank you all.

~Steve