Question Does AMD Ryzen 5 3600 need additonal cooling for continuous usage?

Apr 28, 2020
I am planning to get a Ryzen 5 3600, and I intend to use it for research purposes so I will be running programs on GPUs almost all the time (it could be running 3-4 days straight). I know 3600 comes with Wraith Stealth, however, I am not sure if I would be needing an additional cooler. I do not plan to OC at all. My CPU compute would be pretty limited mostly. So, I was wondering if I could get away with using the stock cooler?

I am planning to get a Ryzen 5 3600, and I intend to use it for research purposes so I will be running programs on GPUs almost all the time (it could be running 3-4 days straight). I know 3600 comes with Wraith Stealth, however, I am not sure if I would be needing an additional cooler. I do not plan to OC at all. My CPU compute would be pretty limited mostly. So, I was wondering if I could get away with using the stock cooler?

You should be fine - you might want to consider the 3600X as it comes with a stronger stock cooler than the base model but even then the 3600 is very power efficient so doesn't need much cooling.

The only thing to keep in mind is heat build up in the case - you need to make sure your case has decent airflow and at least 1 exhaust fan to stop heat buildup and you should be fine.

I run a Ryzen 7 2700 on the stock cooler (the Wraith Spire, same one that comes with 3600X) and that has completed several multi day render jobs with no problems.

Reactions: RodroX and Somjit77
Apr 28, 2020
As far as CPU cooling goes, I agree with the reply above. However you have not addressed cooling of the CASE and the mobo it contains. Do you have that all figured out already?
More or less. I have a case with fully meshed front with 3 120mm fans in front and 1 at the back for front to back airflow. Only a bit confused about the motherboard. Can't decide between B450 Tomahawk (expensive), ASrock steel legends, and Gaming Plus (slightly cheaper).

Just to add to the above, whatever motherboard you pick try to find out if it already have out of the box compatibility with Ryzen 3xxx support (I would guess most of them have since its been almost a year since its oficial launch, unless you have really bad luck and get a really old stock one). All MSI "MAX" mobo have Ryzen 5/7 3xxx support (you may need to update your BIOS to get the latest AGESA but it will work out of the box).

As for the X570 suggestion, yeah there are some budget friendly choices like the Asus PRIME X570-P (which have very decent and good VRM for its price) or the more expensive Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (with or without WI-FI) another example of great VRM.

Keep in mind that around half of June, motherboard partners will have the new B550 motherboards out, so depending on how in a rush you are, I would either pick the B450 now or just wait for the B550 release and see which brand have good VRM and features and go with that. For motherboard review I would pay attention to TomsHardware, Hardware Unboxed and Gamer Nexus.

Cheers

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Need? No. The included Wraith cooler is adequate.
Want for better temps?, less noise?, higher PBO and performance? Absolutely yes.

The B550 is the love-child of a B450 and a X570. The B550 has pcie 4.0 capability like the X570, but in a limited capacity. Storage moves up from the B450 Gen2 to Gen3, but don't equal the X570's Gen4. VRM capabilities should also move up a grade, and be somewhere in between the B450 50/60A and the X570's 80/90A.

Not really any bonus for a 3600, nor if using the cheaper Gen3 NVMe vs the higher priced Gen4 NVMe etc. The largest benefit will be to users of the 5600XT-5700XT who will get full pcie 4.0 on the gpu instead of the B450 at pcie 3.0

Last edited:
The Asus prime x570-p is a great budget x570 board with a 3600.
Been running one 2 months now.
Basic good board for those who prefer a more toned down RGB . But has ports if you like RGB.
My only complaint is the placement for the main M.2 just below the video card which keeps it warm.
Not hot but warm.
I opted for a hyper 212 EVO.
the oem cooler is OK but a little noisy for my taste. My computers fold 24/7/365 so one core is usually at max boost and a couple cores between 1-2 ghz mostly.
Edit
Did not even see the date until after my post.