[SOLVED] Does an antenna disrupt an ethernet cable

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I have an ethernet cable running outside and the cable runs right behind our antenna. I have been getting timed out while gaming and its getting annoying. It only lasts a couple of seconds but in a lot of games its enough to kick me out of the game. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the antenna or if the cable is just broken.
The cable im using is meant for outside use and is UV-shielded, however it is U-UTP.

Solution
I have an ethernet cable running outside and the cable runs right behind our antenna. I have been getting timed out while gaming and its getting annoying. It only lasts a couple of seconds but in a lot of games its enough to kick me out of the game. I was wondering if it might have something to do with the antenna or if the cable is just broken.
The cable im using is meant for outside use and is UV-shielded, however it is U-UTP.
A TV or satellite antenna feed will not interfere with an ethernet cable. Do you have an ethernet cable tester? Timing out is not a typical symptom of a bad cable.

Ralston18

Titan
What type of antenna?

What is that particular Ethernet cable connecting? E.g, modem to router, router to wall outlet, direct to PC?

What is the full network connection path being used? ISP to computer?

What type of Ethernet cable is being used and where was it purchased?

Take a look in the router's logs. The router's logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue about the timeouts.

Who has full admin rights to the router. You will need help from that person.

It is not likely unless maybe you are running something high powered like a ham radio.

Coax antenna cable is designed to keep the signal inside the cable as well as keep outside stuff from getting it. So it is highly unlikely it will cause any interference on ethernet.

You need to do some testing before you just blindly jump to conclusions. Ping the router IP and see if you get packet loss. If not then your ethernet cable is likely good. If you do get loss it is much more likely just a defective cable.

This more sounds like your internet itself is dropping.

You need to test to narrow down where the issues is occurring.

kanewolf

Titan
A TV or satellite antenna feed will not interfere with an ethernet cable. Do you have an ethernet cable tester? Timing out is not a typical symptom of a bad cable.

Solution