cediegamotin

Reputable
Jan 20, 2018
I researched about overclocking and come up to this question, when you OC does it downclock & undervolt when idle? or it only activates OC when gaming/load?
I have R5 3600 & Tomahawk Max and I plan to overclock it, Thanks!

Solution
OC on a Ryzen is a mad dance. The cpu will boost according to voltage, temp and current levels. So lowering all 3 can actually get better boost speeds, upto a point. Best speeds are attained with the best balance of all 3, just raising or lowering any of the 3 can drop the boost, not necessarily raise it.

PBO does the balancing for you, far easier than trying it yourself.

Current levels are by far the biggest, most misunderstood, concern. Too many are stuck on Intel thinking. Raise speeds, fix voltages, check temps, done.

Ryzens can handle upto 1.5v at idle/extreme low current loads. 1.325v at middling current loads. @ 1.2v at extreme current loads. Not so bad except where do you define exactly what an extreme current load is...
I researched about overclocking and come up to this question, when you OC does it downclock & undervolt when idle? or it only activates OC when gaming/load?
I have R5 3600 & Tomahawk Max and I plan to overclock it, Thanks!
Not if you set multiplier and voltage manually but power output and temperature with it does drop. You can manipulate voltage slightly by using voltage */- offset and/or LLC settings.

P state overclocking let's you still keep power saving features if its supported in your bios.

The thing is the 3600 really isn't worth overclocking, precision boost does a good enough job on its own if you have sufficient cooling.

The only real reason to set anything manually imo is to undervolt at higher clocks, the ryzen are prone to automatically overestimating voltages at higher clocks (not to the point of danger but still)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
OC on a Ryzen is a mad dance. The cpu will boost according to voltage, temp and current levels. So lowering all 3 can actually get better boost speeds, upto a point. Best speeds are attained with the best balance of all 3, just raising or lowering any of the 3 can drop the boost, not necessarily raise it.

PBO does the balancing for you, far easier than trying it yourself.

Current levels are by far the biggest, most misunderstood, concern. Too many are stuck on Intel thinking. Raise speeds, fix voltages, check temps, done.

Ryzens can handle upto 1.5v at idle/extreme low current loads. 1.325v at middling current loads. @ 1.2v at extreme current loads. Not so bad except where do you define exactly what an extreme current load is? Just stress tests? Or gaming? Which games? Just CoD or BF5 or is CSGO and minecraft included?

So ppl are running high speed OC, with what they think is a safe 1.3+v, and burning out the cpu completely in less than 2 years.

Personally, I don't recommend manual OC on a Ryzen. Far better to set PBO, PBO1 or even PBO2 and let the cpu give you its best speeds according to how much cooling you can give it.

Solution