Question Does anyone have a usb Wi-Fi adapter that doesn't overheat?

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
I got this $12 USD one yesterday. It worked great for awhile, but it conked out. I tried it again today (after it cooled down overnight). It worked well for a very short time, and probably overheated, So, I'm returning it.

511RfND9qxL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Maybe the solution is a PCIe version with heat sink technology?

512+Ii9qdgL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
I got this $12 USD one yesterday. It worked great for awhile, but it conked out. I tried it again today (after it cooled down overnight). It worked well for a very short time, and probably overheated, So, I'm returning it.

511RfND9qxL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Maybe the solution is a PCIe version with heat sink technology?

512+Ii9qdgL._AC_SY300_SX300_.jpg
If you are going to get a USB adapter, get one with external antennas. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5YPK9L1

Reactions: Jay_34

Jay_34

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2016
Thanks to those who tried to help. I finally got one that worked and has performed well----so far. The other two (TP Link brand), didn't perform to spec.

It is sensitive to where it is positioned. I have it on my desk, near a window.

dGI8RMF.png

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Most TP-Link WiFi adapters use Realtek chipsets, which are inferior to AXxxx Intel based wifi adapters

Intel ones usually are more expensive, you get what you pay for.

Forgot to mention that many Realtek chipset wifi adapters don't work under Linux.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay_34
https://www.amazon.com/Superwang-US...37-a42c-61bca49db8d2&pd_rd_i=B01I191N48&psc=1

Like Ralston18 said I to put mine on an extension cable and I go through these like tic tac's not because they fail but because they work and when I need another one to bring another PC into service these are great.

My main computers are wired + the kids but I also have a handful of computers all working fine off that little cheap $4.00 wifi dongle.

I have bought 18 since 2020 and one was DOA that the seller replaced.

Mine only warm up if I install something like Cyberpunk or Doom 2016 off them but that's a lot of gigabytes being transferred.

My 5g duel band one I bought that was expansive cooked itself stupid AKA work , not work. It was awesome when it worked but those $4.00 generic have never let me down. YMMV