Question Does anyone know a trustworthy professional testing software?

Oct 3, 2019
I am working in a project about testing workstations performance. First, I have to change different RAMs configurations (8GB, then 16GB, then 32GB ans so on) keeping all the other components ( CPU, GPU, SSD) unchanged. So, I need a proffesional software in order to test the workstation performance, make comparisons and finally conclude what configuration is better. I wanto to test general performance, no just Memory.
Thanks in advance and sorry about spelling mistakes, my native language is spanish.

Oct 3, 2019
Now I am working with SPECworkstation 3, but I would like to use another option to compare and be sure of the results. SPECworkstation uses benchmarkings to test performance divide by categories (like Media and Entertainment; Financial Services; GPU Compute; etc) and I was wondering if there was another similar Testing Software

Yes, but what do these workstations actually DO?

What, specifically, are they used FOR? Primarily, what applications do they run? What services do those using them NEED to be capable of providing?

Do they run office? Spreadsheets? Graphics applications? Rendering video? Customer service? Are they used for data input and use database applications? Local or remote?

Is the software used on these machines installed locally, ON the client, or do they access applications on a server somewhere?

Do they run their own backups, automatically? Are they manually backed up? Are they backed up automatically through a remote service?

These are all things that might be relevant.

You can test a machine on all kinds of benchmarks, but if the benchmarks are not ones that are relevant to what the machines will actually be DOING, then it's almost irrelevant.

Sep 28, 2019
The best approach is doing benchmark by your own. It depends on many factors. Don't get fooled by online results!

First, the way benchmark codebase was coded would affect the result TOO MUCH! For instance, compiling a generic -i368 with MS VC++ compiler, over -native AMD C-compiler on a Ryzen CPU! COuld be too much!

Checking micro benchmark of different compilers could elaborate it very clear, for instance check outputs of GCC, Intel C Compiler, C-lang, Portland C compiler, etc.. and you will find out.

I suggest grab an instance of open source apps like OpenSSL, and compile it with a well known compiler(I suggest Clang/GCC, but if you have some money, try Intel over intel CPUs for sure). OpenSSL has some benchmarking codebase for good.

At the end, I would mention again, have your dedicated codebase to perform benchmark. Also mind, not always HW benchmark important, sometime a good software patch/update brings lots of promising performance points!

Hope it helps, good luck.