Question Does anyone know if a Satellite L505-S5990 CPU is soldered to the mainboard or not?

Jul 21, 2024
I have this old Satellite L505-S5990 laptop that I've been using extensively recently, as I installed and activated tiny10 on it a few days ago. Upgrading RAM significantly would likely cause this Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 at 2.1 GHz to bottleneck. The same, fortunately, cannot be said for replacing the HDD with an SSD. I just want to know whether this laptop's motherboard has its CPU in a socket, so that I can more easily replace it. I've been unable to find mainboard pictures for this specific model.

USAFRet

Titan
I have this old Satellite L505-S5990 laptop that I've been using extensively recently, as I installed and activated tiny10 on it a few days ago. Upgrading RAM significantly would likely cause this Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 at 2.1 GHz to bottleneck. The same, fortunately, cannot be said for replacing the HDD with an SSD. I just want to know whether this laptop's motherboard has its CPU in a socket, so that I can more easily replace it. I've been unable to find mainboard pictures for this specific model.
Increasing the RAM is not a 'bottleneck'.

I have a slightly older level Tosh laptop, L305-S5955.

Your limitation would be what CPU is compatible with that motherboard.
Assuming the CPU is socketed (probably isn't), any CPU change would still be would still be old, and not worth the work needed to change.

Jul 21, 2024
Increasing the RAM is not a 'bottleneck'.

I have a slightly older level Tosh laptop, L305-S5955.

Your limitation would be what CPU is compatible with that motherboard.
Assuming the CPU is socketed (probably isn't), any CPU change would still be would still be old, and not worth the work needed to change.
Does this imply that the CPU on your motherboard is socketed?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes it is socketed. A quick image search for the motherboard returns dozens of images of it.

There are some slightly faster T6000 core 2 duo that would certainly work, but you are pretty close to the top of that already.

There are 1066 FSB core 2 quads and duo, but I don't know if those are directly compatible with your board. If the chips are cheap enough and you don't mind trying, not much harm.

Otherwise your time/money is better spent getting an entry level laptop from this decade.

USAFRet

Titan
Does this imply that the CPU on your motherboard is socketed?
Does not imply either way, but mine does appear to be a socketed CPU.

Celeron 900, PGA478 socket. Apparently the same as yours.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ache-2-20-ghz-800-mhz-fsb/specifications.html

This was my initial Win 10 test box. A decade ago. It was slooooow then, its not gotten any better.

The question then becomes, will the BIOS on the board accept a different CPU?
Maybe, probably, maybe not.