Question Does anyone know of a good case that is a full tower, high power supply, with no windows?

Apr 30, 2019
Does anyone know of a good cheap case that is a full tower, high power supply, with no windows?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I guess the question needs to be asked... Why the pre-installed power supply? It's the most important component of any computer build and going cheap on it is a bad idea.

Looking on PC Part Picker, they don't even have full-tower cases with power supplies that anyone of sound mind would even consider. Just get a cheap-ish case and a quality power supply, sufficient for your needs. It's four screws to install it and there's only one way it fits.

Looks like the cheapest (sans power supply) would be the Rosewill Thor V2
What power supply to get would depend on the rest of your components.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: DMAN999
Apr 30, 2019
I guess the question needs to be asked... Why the pre-installed power supply? It's the most important component of any computer build and going cheap on it is a bad idea.
Sorry, but you misunderstood because I failed to expound. I need the PSU mounting area to be high in the case, like all cases used to have. I'm trying to replace a case that has a low PSU mounting point.

Looking on PC Part Picker, they don't even have full-tower cases with power supplies that anyone of sound mind would even consider. Just get a cheap-ish case and a quality power supply, sufficient for your needs. It's four screws to install it and there's only one way it fits.

Looks like the cheapest (sans power supply) would be the Rosewill Thor V2
What power supply to get would depend on the rest of your components.
I saw the Rosewill Thor and it was looking real good, $99.00, no window, nice and tall, lots of bays, black, big fan on the side, until I saw the low PSU mounting point, which is a deal breaker.

-Wolf sends
But much thanks for your time my friend, I really do appreciate it.

Apr 30, 2019
What do you consider cheap?
Around $100.00

Do you have any parts?
Yep, been building "IBM Clone" computers (PC's) since the early 90's, So I got all kinds of parts, if you know what I mean. (still have a 486 board/cpu/mem setup). ;-)

Why does it need to be a full tower? Most mid towers can fit pretty much 95% of the parts out there.
The board is an extended ATX and I want plenty of room for additional cooling.
Thanks my friend, I really appreciate you taking your valuable time to respond! HaGO!

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks my friend, I really appreciate you taking your valuable time to respond! HaGO!
Besides the ones Wolfshadw recommended I can't seem to find others that meet your requirements but if you end up spending that much I feel it's almost more beneficial to just get a cheaper full ATX case with a new low mounted PSU especially if the system your changing out parts has a lower quality PSU or is older and out of warranty.

Apr 30, 2019
Newegg Cases

These are not cheap, but they're full towers with top-mounts for the power supply.

-Wolf sends
Thanks again, but both of those have side panel windows, which according to my OP is a deal breaker.

And that guys, is why I finally came here to ask for help. It almost seems as though older style cases have been completely abandoned. It's really a shame too, because considering security and preserving ones investment, they are a better choice.

....and to think that I cleaned-out the garage and scrapped 10, or so, full tower cases of that ilk, before Christmas; since there is no market for late-90's/early-2K computer cases.

You wouldn't happen to be interested in a few, lightly used, Maxtor HDDs, of capacities from 312MB to 30GB, too, would you?

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks again, but both of those have side panel windows, which according to my OP is a deal breaker.

And that guys, is why I finally came here to ask for help. It almost seems as though older style cases have been completely abandoned. It's really a shame too, because considering security and preserving ones investment, they are a better choice.
What about the Enthoo Pro and a different PSU?

PCPartPicker Part List
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $129.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-30 18:19 EDT-0400

Apr 30, 2019
Besides the ones Wolfshadw recommended I can't seem to find others that meet your requirements but if you end up spending that much I feel it's almost more beneficial to just get a cheaper full ATX case with a new low mounted PSU especially if the system your changing out parts has a lower quality PSU or is older and out of warranty.
I'm against low mounted PSU's because heat rises and they create a lot of it, thus putting the most expensive components in the computer at risk of running hotter, i.e., CPU, MB, DIMM's and Video Card/s. PSU's are relatively cheap, by comparison. With the ever growing use of SSD's and CPU's with smaller architectures, smaller PSU's can be used thus reducing their cost even further. With this in mind, the lower efficiency of a higher mounted PSU is of no real consequence, especially if the case is modified to dissipate heat buildup more readily.

Of course your perspective/priorities may vary, I'm simply speaking of mine.

Again, thanks for any help you may have provided in helping with my problem. It's much appreciated.

Apr 30, 2019
....and to think that I cleaned-out the garage and scrapped 10, or so, full tower cases of that ilk, before Christmas; since there is no market for late-90's/early-2K computer cases.
The market's not important to me, but sound technology is, but then I only worked in aerospace for 16 years. That and my job as an electronics technician, machinist, being a PRP member, having a secret clearance, and working with tempest approved computer systems is of no real consequence, and has left me pretty much an idiot. At sixty one years of age I pretty much have only learned my ABC's. I really wish I could have actually understood all the things I've done, but all I cold do was just do them. Oh well, there may be hope for me yet, I have a few more years in me, I think, I hope. Who knows?

You wouldn't happen to be interested in a few, lightly used, Maxtor HDDs, of capacities from 312MB to 30GB, too, would you?
Everyone has their own perspective as to what is and is not valuable. But making that point, in and of itself, really doesn't help with the question at hand. I am sorry that group think and consumerism has got you hung up. But don't mind me, some simply like to 'believe' they're stroking their ego, I understand, maybe it was psychology, philosophy, sociology, history and cultural anthropology at university? Nope, probably just a lucky guess.

Hey thanks much for your help, I really appreciate your time. I guess my support of Tom Pabst and his "Tom's Hardware Guide" for all those years back in the late ninties and early 2000's was worth it's weight in gold. But it's a shame that I couldn't log in with my old nym, something about an incorrect password, but that was created many ISP's ago. Oh well, all I could do was create a new account, looking like a newbie, but then that allows me to see the state of the current visitors. Just call me TomLife!

Apr 30, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List
In case anyone is curious as to why I care about having no windows in my case side panel, it's simply that no such computer case will ever be "tempest" approved, because windows, functionally, add nothing, and are just for those that care more about form, (aesthetics). A useless endeavor when security is at issue. Nothing personal, just a fact.

Apr 30, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List
Lower PSU mounting!

Hey thanks to all you that selflessly tried to help, I really do appreciate it. I was hoping someone might know off hand, not having to do any searching, but after all my searching I was afraid no one would be able. I found one several months ago, but lost the page. Yeah I know, that's what I get for turning my browsers history off/not saving it as a bookmark.

Thanks to all the honest people! HaGO!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm against low mounted PSU's because heat rises and they create a lot of it, thus putting the most expensive components in the computer at risk of running hotter, i.e., CPU, MB, DIMM's and Video Card/s.
Umm I just gotta say, psus do not vent heat inside the case, they vent any heat outside the case. If the low mount psu is fan up, it draws air from the case and shoves it outside. If the low mount psu is fan down, it draws air from under the case and shoves it outside. At no time have I ever heard of a psu heat affecting anything inside the case.

Top mount psus are different in that most will be fan down design, drawing air from the hottest part of any pc, right next to the cpu cooler. Which cooks the psu from the start.

This is why most cases have psus low mount, they don't affect heat outputs, but can be affected by heat outputs. A low mount psu is a win/win situation.

Apr 30, 2019
Umm I just gotta say, psus do not vent heat inside the case, they vent any heat outside the case. If the low mount psu is fan up, it draws air from the case and shoves it outside. If the low mount psu is fan down, it draws air from under the case and shoves it outside. At no time have I ever heard of a psu heat affecting anything inside the case.

Top mount psus are different in that most will be fan down design, drawing air from the hottest part of any pc, right next to the cpu cooler. Which cooks the psu from the start.
I'm sorry you've had such bad luck, my experience has been quite the opposite. MB's that I've had in cases with upper PSU's always run cooler than when placed in those with lower mounted PSU's. And like I've said, the case is only there as a box to support all the important components, and to block electronic emanations for security purposes. The MB, CPU, DIMM's and add on cards are the most important parts of any computer. All is built around them, not the other way around.

This is why most cases have psus low mount, they don't affect heat outputs, but can be affected by heat outputs. A low mount psu is a win/win situation.
Actually I don't see it that way. From my experience, that these days cases have them low, is just part of the merchandising merry-go-round. If one believes they need it, they'll buy it until merchandisers come out with the next seemingly great 'technological breakthrough.' Pushing product is the most important goal of any manufacturer. And how many times can a simple metal box really be 'improved.' The heart of the computer on the other hand, is quite different. Analyze what you're told thus how you're sold.
You're correct they do vent outside, but not 100%. The case of the PSU gets warm and effectively becomes a radiator. And for my money I don't want even the slightest increase of temperature below the most important and costly components in my case. Also I'm talking about a full tower, which has plenty of vertical space.

There is an additional issue. Because of my current case, with a lower PSU, and my MB which has crossfire capability, the first PCIe slot, if used alone is only x8. If I want x16 I have to install it in the lower PCIe slot, and since my video card takes up two slots of space for cooling, it puts it about an inch above the PSU, and thus has no real air circulation around it, so it runs hot, and it cost me more than the PSU.

Feel your PSU after it's been running for a while! Have you ever lived in a house with radiant heat? Not forced air or gravity fed. Radiant heat is actually said to be the most efficient and it's always either under the floor or at floor level, radiating upward.

Again my most important consideration is the heart of the computer, not that which merely supports it, especially if that which supports it does more harm than good.

That you have another perspective/priority, has nothing to do with mine.

Apr 30, 2019
Wolfshadw, you're the man, seemingly, no interest in using peoples questions to help yourself, just helping those with what they ask. That's my philosophy as well! Thanks very much!

No one here that actually tried has failed, I figured it would be hard to impossible to answer, becasue I've been serching for a while now. Only he who decided 100% sarcasm was in order shamed himself. That's OK, at my age I've seen all kinds. That he is also one of the ones I've sacrificed my liffe for, for 16 long years, is of no consequence, as determinism dictates, It's all he can do!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
If you're worried about a Tempest attack, the word "cheap" does not apply to your parts list.
Preventing that is much more than just the lack of window in the case.
You're assuming that I'm a newbie. Again I've been building "IBM clones" since 1994, what makes you think I don't have all else that's required already in place.

I joined the USN in 1974, learned about Tempest in 1984, was transferred to inactive status in 1991. I started a tempest program right after I learned of it, or course then I was using a Commodore 64, Commodorre 128 and a Commorore Amiga 1000.

I'm not creating such a program, I'm maintaining it! Which is why I'm so resolute on a case replacement solution.

P.S. I'm not necessarily worried, but if you're actually a retired Airforce man then you should know that maintenance on multimillion dollar aircraft, is never after the fact, it's always preventative. Same here. I have the ability to sit on your street and capture anything you type on your keyboard that's cleartext, like your credit card number, unless you have a tempest like program in place, and it only cost me a few hundred dollars and an old worn out portable TV that still works. And no, I'm not a criminal, I'm still a boyscout. I just used it as a proof of concept test. I mean, you have to test your efforts right?

Last edited: