Question Does anyone know where to get an old network card?

daniel12331

Commendable
Oct 4, 2019
I have an old windows 98 pc and looking to get a network card for it. Does anyone know what I should get. It was made in 1998 and i need a pci network card compatible.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
According to your location there well may be a refurbisher or "collection house" (for lack of a better word) selling old systems and parts like this. Apparently there is a big enthusiast demand for retro stuff like this (along with others) among buyers today.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree, a used computer parts shop might have one. Or maybe you can find a place that is an electronics recycling depot that accepts old computers and may strip out of them used parts to sell.

If you want new, though, this is a 10 / 100 Mbps NIC for PCI slot (not PCIe)

https://www.newegg.com/rosewill-rc-402/p/N82E16833166004

From the same page, for a couple bucks more you can get one that also can do Gigabit ethernet, IF you have such a network in your place.

daniel12331

Commendable
Oct 4, 2019
I agree, a used computer parts shop might have one. Or maybe you can find a place that is an electronics recycling depot that accepts old computers and may strip out of them used parts to sell.

From the same page, for a couple bucks more you can get one that also can do Gigabit ethernet, IF you have such a network in your place.
Well it would be much better if I had an exact model. And I don't know if this slot is pci because when I plugged a modern pci network card the PC wouldn't boot. I plugged a Sound Blaster ct4790 into it which I may be mistaken is a pci 512. But the card has less pins in it. The newer ones have more pins. Does anyone know of an exact model of network card with the less pins?

daniel12331

Commendable
Oct 4, 2019

The motherboard is a p5a-b

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Checking through that I see that only PCI slots are avaibale, not PCIe as you said. Further, the only network card ehty cite can deal with 10 and 100 Mb/x data rates, but not Gigabit Ethernet. So you need not bother looking for the faster NIC version. (I doubt plain PCI can deal with that data rate.)

Reading that manual brought back old memories of systems I had in the 1990's. A long time ago in computer years!

mact

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Amazon has a pci StarTech PCI Ethernet card for about $11 new. Why mess around with something used?

StarTech.com 1 Port PCI 10/100/1000 32 Bit Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter Card (ST1000BT32)

According to your location there well may be a refurbisher or "collection house" (for lack of a better word) selling old systems and parts like this. Apparently there is a big enthusiast demand for retro stuff like this (along with others) among buyers today.
I have an old windows 98 pc and looking to get a network card for it. Does anyone know what I should get. It was made in 1998 and i need a pci network card compatible.