Question Does anyone know why an intel core i5 11400 would stop boosting past it's base frequency of 2.6Ghz?

Mar 13, 2023
I just notice yesterday (03-12-2023) that my cpu isn't boosting to it's specified boost frequency once windows is fully done loading. I noticed that if I get into task manager fast enough I can see it boosting for just a few seconds, but it will NOT boost anymore afterwards. I have checked in the bios for any options that may have changed that have to do with the cpu limits but I never changed anything having to do with the cpu limits or voltage. I have used hardware monitor and watched clock speeds and thermals while running Cinebench R23 and it never gets over 2.6Ghz the entire time and the thermals are at 42C in the package and on the hottest core. I just don't get it. Please help!!

Hey there,

HWInfo (with sensors) is better to watch your clocks on the fly.

There could be a number of reasons it's only at it's base clock.

1. Power plan setting.
  2. Application preventing boosting.
  3. BIOS has been changed.
Check in your bios, and reset to bios defaults. Save and reboot and test again.

Check your power plan and make sure it's not on battery saver or something like that.
Are you using any software to manage voltages?

Download and install Throttlestop. Run it a long with TS Bench and the 'Limit' reasons box open. It will tell you what is happening with the CPU and why it is throttling at it's base clocks.

Mar 13, 2023
I have already installed throttlestop and checked the settings in there. According to what I read my settings are fine in there. I looked in my bios after checking and testing different power plan options (which had no affect). I check my C states and they looked to be correct but 'm not an expert on that. I just did what the forums suggested but to no avail. I can't change my cpu frequency itself in the bios, I can just change the other multiplier but that affects my ram clock speed as well which I don't want to change. It's really strange that this just so happened to start after installing and then uninstalling McAfee total protection. For some strange reason, like I mentioned in my first comment, if I can get into task manager fast enough, I can see it turbo up to it's normal boost frequency of 4.4ghz but then after maybe three seconds later it drops to it's base frequency of 2.59ghz. I have no idea how an install and then an almost immediate uninstall of the McAfee software could cause this but it's the only change I've made to my pc in the last few days.

@brisdad

Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop while the CPU is loaded. Run something simple like the TS Bench 1 Thread test so I can see if your CPU is boosting while it is lightly loaded. You can post another screenshot while Cinebench is in progress. Open the Limit Reasons window and watch for any boxes lighting up red which would indicate the reason for throttling.

Also post the FIVR and TPL screenshots. If you are not sure about the C states, post a screenshot of that data while your CPU is idle.

The more information you post, the better chance of solving this mystery. No need to post any Task Manager screenshots.