[SOLVED] Does Corsair link USB cable use all 10 pins on the PSU side?

Jul 14, 2020
Hi all

I've just found a really good trade option and will get myself a 1-year old HX1000i today (passing on my G3 650W and a bit of cash).

The PSU doesn't come with all of the cables however, since it was harvested from a system integrator pre-built machine. This is not as issue since I have enough power cables for my current use, and plan to get custom cables later.

However, the link cable is missing - my initial thought was that it would be super easy to find a usb-mini to 9-pin 2.0 internal cable, but it turns out that's very hard to find here in Denmark.

I can understand that an internal 9-pin header is actually two individual USB header pinouts put together (with an extra ground wire of some sort), so I'm wondering if the USB connector on the PSU side needs all 9 pins to function, or just the pins from a single connector. My best bet at getting a cable for a decent price is getting a splitter like the one seen here: https://www.av-cables.dk/usb-2-0-adapter-kabler-2/usb-2-0-adapter-kabel-2-x-usb-a-hun-til-bundkort-0-60-cm. and then plugging a USB-A to USB-mini cable from one of the female connectors and into the PSU.

If that doesn't work I guess I'll have to track someone down that has a spare corsair link cable from a PSU, cooler, lighting node, or similar that they don't use. I'd love to get access to the iCue features of the PSU :)

Solution
It only uses one row of the wires, not both rows from the connector:
6996_18_corsair-hx1000i-1000w-80-plus-platinum-power-supply-review.jpg

I would however ask you to not invest in a second hand PSU since you will need to also know the sort of environment the PSU was used in(overclocked, hot/humid environment, mining) since they will play a part in reducing the effective power output from the PSU.

Why not invest in a reliable lower wattage unit with 650W at your disposal? Assuming your system doesn't even need more than 550W of pwoer.

Lutfij

Titan
It only uses one row of the wires, not both rows from the connector:
6996_18_corsair-hx1000i-1000w-80-plus-platinum-power-supply-review.jpg

I would however ask you to not invest in a second hand PSU since you will need to also know the sort of environment the PSU was used in(overclocked, hot/humid environment, mining) since they will play a part in reducing the effective power output from the PSU.

Why not invest in a reliable lower wattage unit with 650W at your disposal? Assuming your system doesn't even need more than 550W of pwoer.

Solution
Jul 14, 2020
Thanks for the answer - seems I can use the intended cable then.

And thank you for your considerations regarding used PSUs. I was definitely taking that into consideration, but given that the PSU is only a year old, was used in an SI build (which explains the missing cables and would be a good indicator that the original owner did not overclock), that electricity prices in Denmark are too high for mining to be worthwhile, and the price I get it for (due to the owner wanting a smaller PSU that fits in a smaller case) means that I'm okay with taking that risk. I will obviously try to get a feeling of the guy and ask about previous use, when I'm there later today. He has the receipt and is registered on the second hand sales platform with his civil registration number (which is a policy from their side so they can cover any products with issues better).

Edit: I was already looking to buy an 850W PSU to prepare for upgrades later this year, and had set my eye on the HXi model due to noise and generally great reviews, so I figured I can live with the extra Watts.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020
Just wanted to give a follow-up since you were so kind to worry on my behalf.

I feel like I struck gold. This guy was 65+ year old gentleman and lived in a lovely neighbourhood, he had made a little hobby / side gig of buying complete and new high end systems from people that had bought more than they could handle and then regretted for some reason, and then selling the individual parts on. In this case the previous owner had just gotten divorced and had this PC he barely had a clue about how to use. I got the receipt and all - and it's bought from my preferred retailer here in Denmark which has been very helpful with any RMA claims I have previously had.

He had gotten himself a nice 2080Ti Trio X (the crazy 3x 8-pin one), and was selling on the PSU, NVME and his own old more regular 2080ti, among other stuff. Basically it sounded like he had found a really nice way to spend a lot of time fiddling with computers while making a bit of profit from it.

He wanted a smaller PSU since he was building an ITX system for a family member - hence I got the HX1000i for my old EVGA and around 60$.

I've also ordered myself a regular USB-mini to 5-pin internal, and have made sure to check the pin-out so I don't plug it in the wrong way :)

Thanks for your help and concern again!