Question Does hard drive warranty length still indicate quality (if it ever did)?

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I'm considering several 2TB hard drives for an upcoming build. It will be a secondary storage drive, with the system and any files that need fast access on a 1TB M.2 SSD.

There seem to be three consumer-level drives with a five-year warranty: WD Black, Seagate Barracuda Pro, and Seagate FireCuda. Right now I'm favoring the FireCuda because it's the cheapest of these, even if the small SSD cache doesn't provide a significant performance advantage.

Since performance isn't critical, I'm wondering whether the 5-year warranty on these "performance" drives actually means they're better designed, better engineered, and more reliable than cheaper "mainstream" drives that have only two-year warranties.

Another possibility is the WD Red, priced between the "performance" and "mainstream" drives, with a 3-year warranty. I'm actually using one of them as a single desktop drive in my current system. I got it 4 years ago because it had a 3-year warranty, and the WD Black was quite expensive at the time. It's not the fastest drive I've owned, but it is cool and quiet.

Opinions?

popatim

Titan
Not in my opinion. The cost reflects the warranty length to me. Many drives appear to be the same drives with slightly different firmware to optimize it for it's intended market. Blacks get optimized for performance, Reds for use in raids & mixed i/o, Green for reduced energy consumption, Purple for video camera recording...