does having two graphics cards in a computer increase performance even if a monitor is not plugged into the other gpu?

voyager11011

Prominent
Aug 1, 2018
A little while ago I bought a gaming pc and I have been thinking of upgrading to a gtx 1060 although I would like to know if leaving the other graphics card in my computer will give me more performance even if a monitor is not connected to it.

Solution
In this, yes and no. If the old card is nvidia, it can be used as a dedicated physX gpu, which will be used instead of the main gpu for anything physX related, alleviating the performance draw on the main card. For anything else, a second card does only one thing. Suck more juice from the psu.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
In this, yes and no. If the old card is nvidia, it can be used as a dedicated physX gpu, which will be used instead of the main gpu for anything physX related, alleviating the performance draw on the main card. For anything else, a second card does only one thing. Suck more juice from the psu.

Solution

voyager11011

Prominent
Aug 1, 2018

thank you very much for your answer and explanation.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Welcome. If it's an actual gpu you are replacing use DDU from guru3d.com to remove any and all old drivers. Then install the new ones for the new card. If it's the igpu and you are adding a gpu, do not erase the drivers, they will work separately, so no conflicts. That and they are a pain to find and install correctly.