Does hitachi make reliable hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I am probably going to make a gaming desktop in like a year or more (once i save up the 1200$ or so it will cost me) and im trying to find a desent hard drive at 7200 rpm, 1tb , and 6gb/s , i have found a hitachi for around 70$ and was wondering if the brand is known as reliable, my sisters laptop was like brand new and the hard drive broke (im not sure what brand that one was the computer was a toshiba) so i woul drather not have to deal with purchasing a new hard drive on my to-be desktop any time soon.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Here's my two cents, Hitachi is as reliable as any of the other big names. I got a 2TB internal drive over 2 months ago, and I got a 500GB internal drive from them over 3 months ago for another system. Hard Disk Sentinel gives both %100, no problems thus far.

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

ya 3 months.

I've had three Hitachi drives and they've all been dead on arrival.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
usually when u get something ALREADY broken that means the shipping company you used didnt do a good job, just saying, but i chose to probably go with a samsung, also i looked at my old desktop thinking maybe when i get around to making the computer i could canibalize the hard drive and optical drive from that, the optical drive, maybe, the hard drive, 20gb.... no thanks. lol so ill have to drop maybe 80 bucks into a hard drive but that isnt a big deal really in the bog picture, the total cost of the configurtion i made came to about 1500$ :/

tomm174

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

How could you possibly believe that this is a big enough sample to come to any conclusion whatever ??
I never understand this about people - confident statements on the basis of blatantly inadequate evidence.
I guess some people don't mind looking like a fool
Their past record is not impressive (http://web.archive.org/web/20060315210819/http://www.ibmdeskstar75gxplitigation.com/) and I have personally had a couple of TB hitachi drives fail within 2 years - out of 3 I've bought.

jsanthara

Distinguished
May 17, 2011

I said my two cents. Two cents being a relatively small amount of money, this indicates (to most people) that one is giving a little advice to be taken in to consideration, not worshiped and held as scripture. He asked what people thought and multiple people answered (which is basically the point of a forum). Most people wouldn't take my statement and think it means "you should definitely purchase the drive".

By the way, I noticed that this is your first post and you joined Tom's Hardware today. Nice job joining Tom's in order to revive a year old thread and insult someone. You totally win the internet.

Welcome to the forum.

tom42

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
Company attitudes change over the years. Having had an xyz brand hard drive from 2 or 3 years ago that was wonderful doesn't mean that today's is just as good.Companies are bought and sold, location of manufacture changes, and attitudes of management change, all affecting the product, and many sullying a once proud brand name.

John7128

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Keep in mind there are only 3 manufacturer left (WD, Seagate and Toshiba)...Hitachi belongs to WD, like Lacie belongs to Seagate now...Furthermore, those 3 actors share some factories where some parts of HDDs are produced and shared...I think it is about 70 different parts or so....

cadillacmike

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I have dozens of laptop HDDS, mostly Hitachis and some of them are nearly 20 years old. The hitachi drives have performed very well for me over the years. Yes a few have died, but on laptops that travel a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.