[SOLVED] Does i5-9600K is more superior to i7-7700 (non K) ?

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
I think that i5 is better yea? but I'm confuse because i5-9600 is way more cheaper than i7-7700
My PC use i7-7700, I bought it like 3 years ago and I don't have a good knowledge on PC part at that time...Am I make a mistake to buy that CPU?

I check on pcbuilds website and it recommend me to use i7-8700K for RTX 2060 super...i7-8700K literally almost 2 time more expensive than i5-9600K in my local store...but If I input RTX 2060 Super + i5-9600K manually, it shows that I won't have bottleneck but if I input i7-7700, it show I will enconter bottleneck

I still confused why my i7-7700 is more weaker than i5-9600K? i7-7700 price is around 50% more expensive than i5-9600K

I'm still a newbie on PC part knowledge so any input would be appreciated

Solution
The new i5 are faster than the old i7 thanks to AMD bringing competition back the the mainstream CPU market with Ryzen and forcing Intel to increase core count across its product stack to remain competitive.

Old Intel CPUs remain expensive because Intel usually discontinues CPUs before it ever has to drop prices to clear inventory, so there rarely is any surplus inventory for stores to dump at discounted prices to clear shelves.

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
7700 is older/weaker.
it more expensive because intel don't make them anymore, supply and demand

I buy it 3 years ago, the price was around $342 if converted to usd at that time
and i5-9600K price today is $214

I live in indonesia, I converted the price from my country to USD

InvalidError

Titan
The new i5 are faster than the old i7 thanks to AMD bringing competition back the the mainstream CPU market with Ryzen and forcing Intel to increase core count across its product stack to remain competitive.

Old Intel CPUs remain expensive because Intel usually discontinues CPUs before it ever has to drop prices to clear inventory, so there rarely is any surplus inventory for stores to dump at discounted prices to clear shelves.

Solution

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020

how about i7-8700K? In here i7-8700K price almost twice more than i5-9600K....But I do research and I think i5-9600K is very good already yeah? Not sure why i7-8700K is very expensive

InvalidError

Titan
Not sure why i7-8700K is very expensive
As I already wrote, Intel's chips remain expensive because Intel discontinues them before ever needing to drop prices to sell them, so old parts prices stay high.

If you are concerned about price to performance ratio and will need a new motherboard to use newer Intel CPUs anyway, you may want to consider the Ryzen 2700 or 3600 instead.

your i7 had 4 real cores (8 virtual w/HT), the i5-9600K has 6 (real) and runs at a higher base clock. so newer design + faster clock + more cores all favor the new chip.
plus it's unlocked so can be further OC'ed

you didn't make a mistake, it was just what was available
every generation of chip will have improvements - you had no way of knowing what was to come and the newer chips require a more expensive 300-series motherboard (sort of offsets the price difference)

I think that i5 is better yea? but I'm confuse because i5-9600 is way more cheaper than i7-7700
My PC use i7-7700, I bought it like 3 years ago and I don't have a good knowledge on PC part at that time...Am I make a mistake to buy that CPU?

I check on pcbuilds website and it recommend me to use i7-8700K for RTX 2060 super...i7-8700K literally almost 2 time more expensive than i5-9600K in my local store...but If I input RTX 2060 Super + i5-9600K manually, it shows that I won't have bottleneck but if I input i7-7700, it show I will enconter bottleneck

I still confused why my i7-7700 is more weaker than i5-9600K? i7-7700 price is around 50% more expensive than i5-9600K

I'm still a newbie on PC part knowledge so any input would be appreciated

Last edited:
Since you already have a I7-7700, do not think about changing it out unless your apps/games are not performing as you want.
i7-7700 is still a very good processor.
Yes, I5-9600K or I5-9600 are stronger performers.
They have 6 vs 8 threads to do work, but the individual threads are more powerful.
The 9600K can be overclocked for more performance
But, your current motherboard is not suitable to install a 8th or 9th gen processor.

Bottleneck web sites are junk science; do not rely on them.
What counts is how YOUR games perform.

If you are considering upgrading your graphics card for gaming, try this simple test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Yes, your I7 7700 will be fine for an RTX 2060 Super.

To upgrade to ANY new CPU you would need a new motherboard. 8th and 9th gen intel, and Ryzen ofc are not compatible with your motherboard.

If you feel the need to upgrade, I wouldn't go with an i5, I would go with at least an I7 8700k/9700k from intel or a Ryzen 5 3600 from AMD. A lesser upgrade may not be worth the investment.

Yeah, as was said, your existing CPU should be fine, and it probably wouldn't be worth upgrading to a current-generation i5. Those CPUs will be a little faster, but not much more than what you have. Unless you are specifically targetting the highest possible framerates on a 144+Hz high refresh-rate screen, it's probably only worth upgrading the graphics card at this time.

Perhaps worth asking, what graphics card do you have now, and what are your computer's other hardware specifications?

Vayne77

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
Yeah, as was said, your existing CPU should be fine, and it probably wouldn't be worth upgrading to a current-generation i5. Those CPUs will be a little faster, but not much more than what you have. Unless you are specifically targetting the highest possible framerates on a 144+Hz high refresh-rate screen, it's probably only worth upgrading the graphics card at this time.

Perhaps worth asking, what graphics card do you have now, and what are your computer's other hardware specifications?

CPU : Intel Core i7-7700 3.6Ghz - Cache 8MB
GPU : GALAX Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 OC
Motherboard : MSI B250M Gaming Pro (LGA1151, B250, DDR4)
RAM : GEIL DDR4 EVO X RGB LED PC19200 Dual Channel 16GB
HDD : WDC 2TB SATA3 64MB - Blue
PSU : 1STPLAYER Gaming PSU Black Widow 600W PS-600AX

I'm planning to upgrade my GPU to either RTX 2060 or 2060 super and change my PSU to Seasonic Focus Gold GX 550