[SOLVED] Does inserting an AMD CPU the wrong way and locking it in place bend the pins?

blighteous67

Reputable
Jul 2, 2018
I inserted my R5 3600 the wrong way initially and locked it in place. Then while installing the CPU cooler, I realized my mistake and did it correctly. Is there any damage I could have done? Motherboard is B450 Carbon Pro Max.

Solution
One socket corner has one less hole than the others. If you inserted the CPU the wrong way all the way, you should have a crushed pin there. There are also four pin/hole-less areas around the middle and one of them is offset by one pin, you should have a crushed pin in one of those too.

If there is no sign of damage in either of those locations, then the CPU didn't go in at all.

blighteous67

Reputable
Jul 2, 2018
Are any of the CPU pins visibly bent? (we will hope you got lucky!)
(It was likely not AMD's best move to make the logo on the heat spreader sideways when the CPU was mounted correctly)
Not when I looked at it with the naked eye. I know that you need a magnifying glass to see it reliably. I'll try to boot it later today.

InvalidError

Titan
One socket corner has one less hole than the others. If you inserted the CPU the wrong way all the way, you should have a crushed pin there. There are also four pin/hole-less areas around the middle and one of them is offset by one pin, you should have a crushed pin in one of those too.

If there is no sign of damage in either of those locations, then the CPU didn't go in at all.

Solution

blighteous67

Reputable
Jul 2, 2018
How is that even possible?!
By locked it in place, I mean pulled the CPU latch down.

Thanks. I don't think the CPU went in actually. The CPU attached itself to thr bottom of the cooler and fell onto the motherboard (outside the CPU socket, luckily) while I was readjusting and landed on the non-contact side, lol.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021
I managed to do the exact same thing and have just opened a thread for this because I now have a VGA solid white light. I'm not sure if my Ryzen 9 is now knackered but it's very easy to do if distracted and it doesn't require much force. I'm using an Asus B550-F and it seems to be a common complaint...