Question Does Intel Arc GPUs have native support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11?

vikaskumar2299

Commendable
Mar 31, 2022
I've read some old posts where people are saying Intel Arc only supports DirectX12 natively. For older ones like 9, 10 and 11, it uses some "DXVK" thing which isn't like native DiretX12. It's like some emulation.

I also read some article saying that Intel is dropping support for DX9 so the developers have to contact Microsoft instead as it uses Microsoft D3D9On12 interface .

So I want to know the things better. Does only DirectX12 work natively?

Does it really use some emulation for DX9, 10 and 11?

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I've read some old posts where people are saying Intel Arc only supports DirectX12 natively. For older ones like 9, 10 and 11, it uses some "DXVK" thing which isn't like native DiretX12. It's like some emulation.

I also read some article saying that Intel is dropping support for DX9 so the developers have to contact Microsoft instead as it uses Microsoft D3D9On12 interface .

So I want to know the things better. Does only DirectX12 work natively?

Does it really use some emulation for DX9, 10 and 11?
Yes it does, performance initially was very bad for DX 9 10, and 11 games. it has improved drastically since.

vikaskumar2299

Commendable
Mar 31, 2022
Yes it does, performance initially was very bad for DX 9 10, and 11 games. it has improved drastically since.
Good to hear. So the "emulation" thing is not used now? Even for DX 9? There is an article saying "Intel is removing native support for DirectX 9 (DX9) from its new Arc graphics cards and Xe integrated graphics on 12th Gen processors, with support now coming from emulation thanks to DirectX 12."

As far as I'm aware nothing has changed with DX9 in that they're using DXVK for pretty much everything. DX11 requires per title optimization in several cases so this is going to be a results may vary situation. They've improved performance across a lot of currently relevant titles still using old graphics APIs but this is by no means universal. DX12/Vulkan titles for the most part should just work, but anything older would require making sure.