I had an old setup with the below configuration

Motherboard: Asus H81M-CS
Processor: i5-4440 3.1Ghz
Ram: Kingston hyperx fb-dimm 4GB DDR3
SSD: Kingston SSDNow 300 (128GB)
HDD: WD 1TB
Graphics Card: GTX 750Ti
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 450

I've given away the system to a family member so they can work from home.

However, I've retained the HDD and Graphics Card. Thinking of reusing them on an upgraded system.

My budget isn't very high and I'm trying to balance cost with performance. Of all the components I'm most cautious about the CPU as it's not as easy to upgrade/expand in the future.

I'll use this system for
  1. Web design and development
  2. Casual gaming
  3. Maybe learning AI/ML but as a hobby so nothing very resource intensive
Would be great to make the system future proof atleast for the next 5-7 years.

With all the above I've narrowed down on to the i5 10600KF. However given my graphics card is comparatively old, I'm not sure if it could cause any bottlenecks or compatibility issues.

Here's a link to the specific graphics card. Was purchased in 2016.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00I5ZYI5A...abc_XVB9SC0C70M1E6XHAKAZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm also open to any other processor recommendation around the same price range

Solution
Of course a 750Ti is going to limit ones FPS massively (a 750 Ti is about a GTX1030 equivalent, so, reduced settings at 1080P at best save for the oldest games), but, it is still better than integrated graphics for gaming...

At some point you'd get a better GPU, of course, but, that does not mean you should get too weak of a CPU now.

In my opinion, a 10600kF is a very nice adequate upper mid-range point...(Last thing you want is listen to bottleneck crap and get too weak of a CPU now just because your GPU is old, then be left needing a new CPU once you do get finally get a GPU...)
D

Deleted member 14196

There’s no such thing as future proofing and in these days where the graphics cards are really hard to get you better get one that you can get

D

Deleted member 14196

i guess it would depend on what resolution and settings you are playing at, what kind of monitor you will use.... there are others here with much better information. all i am saying is it's really really hard to get ANY graphics cards right now and maybe you can just use it in the meantime until you can get a better card.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you need a display output to make that system work, 750Ti is pretty decent for that. Not going to be breaking any performance records if that is what you are asking.

Of course a 10600KF will leave performance on the table with a 750Ti. Talking a six year gap and the 750Ti wasn't exactly top of the line then.

No compatibility issues.

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Didn't quite get what you're trying to say. Does it mean a GTX750Ti would bottleneck a i5 10600K?
What I think he's saying is that with GPU prices being as high as they are right now, you shouldn't worry about bottlenecks and just buy the most powerful that you can afford regardless, or else keep what you already have if you can't afford anything that would be considered an upgrade. Trying to perfectly match GPU to CPU is a pointless exercise if you can't afford the GPU that you determine to be the perfect match for your CPU.

Oh, and watch out for those Chinese fake GPU's. They are still out there fooling a lot of people.

Of course a 750Ti is going to limit ones FPS massively (a 750 Ti is about a GTX1030 equivalent, so, reduced settings at 1080P at best save for the oldest games), but, it is still better than integrated graphics for gaming...

At some point you'd get a better GPU, of course, but, that does not mean you should get too weak of a CPU now.

In my opinion, a 10600kF is a very nice adequate upper mid-range point...(Last thing you want is listen to bottleneck crap and get too weak of a CPU now just because your GPU is old, then be left needing a new CPU once you do get finally get a GPU...)

Solution

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017

I think this sums it up pretty well. Guess I'll go for the 10600KF. Thanks everyone for the guidance.