Question Does Motherboard size affect performance?

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
Yeah so, I'm planning to buy a X370M Pro4, but in the same retailer I also found a X370 Pro4. I know that one with the M means it's a Micro-ATX, but the price range are pretty far between those 2 motherboard, that ones also smaller. Does size matter? Does it affect Overclocking? Performance?

*Any Advice would be appreciated ;)

Yeah so, I'm planning to buy a X370M Pro4, but in the same retailer I also found a X370 Pro4. I know that one with the M means it's a Micro-ATX, but the price range are pretty far between those 2 motherboard, that ones also smaller. Does size matter? Does it affect Overclocking? Performance?

*Any Advice would be appreciated ;)
Functionaly, only if you need a number of add-in cards to adequately do what you need since larger ATX boards offer more slots. But then pay attention also to the chip-set since that affects how many PCIe lanes are available to the slots.

But one other benefit of ATX vs. mATX, as a form factor, is that more ATX cases have provisions for vertical mounting of the GPU so you can show-case it behind a tempered glass side panel. An ATX board in such an ATX case just looks better than mATX would as it fills up the case.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Last edited:

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
^ I agree, you lose features (RAM slots/wifi/etc) with the smaller boards but performance should be very similar (unless they skimp on the VRM of the smaller board).

I suggest you read these review:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASRock/AB350M_Pro4/13.html

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8549/asrock-x370-pro4-amd-motherboard-review/index11.html

from those reviews it appears the X370 Pro4 is better suited to overclocking.
So, overall it's the same performance either it's an matx or not? Is there anymore reviews for the x370m Pro4? Or I could call it very similar?

Spirals

Prominent
Mar 8, 2019
There is no inherent performance diff, but a larger Mobo has more SATA ports? more USB? more PCIe slots, can accommodate larger heatsinks which in turn allows better ventilation=can run hotter=pushed harder.
Ooh ok, but how far can I push on overclocking 2200g? I mean I have an adequate cpu cooler (mine is Deepcool Gammaxx 200T) can it at least reach 4ghz without the temperatures being on 70-80°?
Nor my processor melting?

Ooh ok, but how far can I push on overclocking 2200g? I mean I have an adequate cpu cooler (mine is Deepcool Gammaxx 200T) can it at least reach 4ghz without the temperatures being on 70-80°?
Nor my processor melting?
2200g has only 4 cores/4 threads which isn't much of a load for VRM. Overclocking any gen 1 Ryzen (which 2200 CPU cores are) to 4Ghz is far more dependent on the specific processor (silicon lottery) than the motherboard.

Overclocking the Ryzen APU is different from a CPU. Overclocking the GPU and especially memory usually benefits games more but also tends to limit how much of overclock you can get on the CPU.

Last edited: