[SOLVED] Does my Motherboard/bios support NVMe ( PCIe) boot?

Feb 18, 2021
I got an old computer that i want to upgrade and gain some speed starting up and improve the general usage(work and low specs gaming). to achieve what i want i was thinking about a new ssd. i got two options in mind :

SSD 2.5" Samsung 870 EVO 250GB MLC V-NAND SATA
or
SSD M.2 2280 Western Digital Black SN750 250GB 3D NAND NVMe

the prices are almost the same.
i think the NVMe will be better but im not sure if i will be able to boot the system with him in my old pc because i will need to use the PCIe port.

my motherboard is the Asus H81M-A dp/m11ad (Asus h81m specs)

Asus-H81M-A-dp-m11ad-h81-pc-placa-m-e-M-ATX-1150-pinos-suporta-4590.jpg_q50.jpg

which option should i go for?And if my board/bios is not compatible with NVMe boot there is one way to make it work anyway?

thank you guys.

Solution
there is no way to use the one PCIe adaptor? i thought my only problem would be the bios but i heard about ways to mod the bios to be able to boot from a PCIe port. How much complicated it will be or even it will be possible at all?

about speed, wouldn't the NVMe be much faster?

thank you!
You could use a pcie adapter,but that would only make things more complicated and expensive.
For a normal user,who just games,operates on his pc,there is no difference between a good sata ssd and a m.2
Unless you are constantly extracting files,there is no point in getting a m.2 on a budget.
D

Deleted member 14196

Just look at the specifications that you linked to it says that storage is sata only

You can order and install NVME expansion cards but you will not be able to boot from them. You are better off with that SSD or a few of those at least

Feb 18, 2021
Your motherboard doesnt support m.2 nvme drives.
Get that SAMSUNG SSD instead,you wont lose any performance.
there is no way to use the one PCIe adaptor? i thought my only problem would be the bios but i heard about ways to mod the bios to be able to boot from a PCIe port. How much complicated it will be or even it will be possible at all?

thank you!

thank you!
You could use a pcie adapter,but that would only make things more complicated and expensive.
For a normal user,who just games,operates on his pc,there is no difference between a good sata ssd and a m.2
Unless you are constantly extracting files,there is no point in getting a m.2 on a budget.

Solution
Feb 18, 2021
Just look at the specifications that you linked to it says that storage is sata only

You can order and install NVME expansion cards but you will not be able to boot from them. You are better off with that SSD or a few of those at least
which part xD? i know that the board doesn't have NVMe ports but i was thinking about the PCIe adapters and some bios mod.

thank you!

Feb 18, 2021
i understand what you say. The way the pc is now its to slow to boot up and take some time to load all the apps in the startup to be "operated", talking about percentage how much speed do you thing i will gain using that sata ssd?

thank you!

Feb 18, 2021
Reactions: Dj0gany
Feb 18, 2021
Abnormal amount if you were using a hdd as your main windows drive.
Its a complete different machine,you will 100% feel it.
yes, im using an hdd with probably low rpm. i will get the ssd this month and maybe next month a better CPU or RAM.
I just don't want to spend a lot of money on this old PC because otherwise it would be better to build a new one.

Feb 18, 2021
If you intend to use it for gaming, then you'll need discrete graphics card.
Then there are no free pcie slots left for PCIE M.2 adapter card. Forget about using nvme M.2 SSDs on this pc.
yeah the GPU that comes with the pc is really bad, i thought about upgrade the GPU but for that i will need a new power supply and that rise the amount of money i'm putting in this old piece. And im not sure if it will worth it or maybe it will be better save for built a new one (updated)