Does my PSU meet the requirement for GTX 470?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bydyn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Guys I want to ask you... is there any solution for me...

my evga gtx470 just bought 2 months ago... I've got problem...

My monitor turns black screen and hang. and I should hard reset my computer. All my tower light is on... and the fans are still working but I can't operate anything even my keyboard is not functional. I've never oced my hardware not even a hardware, I have tried to reinstall my OS, driver, clean installing driver... nothing works

it only happens in 2d mode and work... such as Browsing, watching videos, YM, winamp....

don't know how to fix it... any solution for me? or should I RMA my card?

my specs is:

AMD Phenom 4x 9950
ECS A790GXM-A
APOGEE PC7300 2 x 2gb
AOPEN Prima power AO700-12ALN 700watt

plz help me... if you know the solution tq

Bydyn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
?? Are u sure... I got a email from evga technical support... but I still doubt if it's caused by the PSU... ~~ look down here

The_Bullet

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:36 PM
I also suffer from this black screen issue. This happens to me "occasionally" and it seems to occur when the gpu core clock changes from 608 to 405 mhz. As for trying my gtx 470 in a different machine - my old system was a core2duo build. I had a gtx 260 that ran perfectly, then I bought the gtx 470 and got this problem. A couple of months later a did a new i7 build - everything except peripherals (including new corsair 850 hx psu)was upgraded. I still get the same problem. Absolutely no crashes during benchmarking, stress testing and gaming, just the occasional black screen freeze shortly after boot, or even more rarely, after exiting a game when the clocks reduce. This is why an RMA is waste of time because of the apparent randomness of the thing. :wallbash:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=187455

Now I try to change the seat... my card is sitting on the second PCI-E see for a month.. if it happens I will change my PSU... if it doesn't I will change my Mother board ~~

hamlet_jones

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I read a review of 2D performance over at Tom's, where 2D is crap on the GTX 460. ATI was called out on it, and they didn't have an answer, but the new drivers were forthcoming... Maybe some knows this review? My browser is getting ready to crash, or I'd look for a link...

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
try the beta drivers... the gtx 470 is a pci-e 2.0 card thats backward compatible with pci-1.0...
so the pci slot is not a prob.. but i would blame either psu or mobo i have had similer problems but that was on win 7 im using xp now... ( i have a gtx 460)
mostly the mobo .. give it over to the computer shops and ask them to test the psu and mobo

vada

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
wierd ..totally... man im smellling driver and os problems... try giveing it to some comuter dealer and ask them to test it... i did that and it turned out my mobo was bad.. it was 5 years old.. i got a Asus P5G41C-M-LX 8GB DDR3 mobo with was backward compatible with ddr2 and i overclocked everythin like *** my c2d from 1.8 all the way to 3 ghz... and my 460 from 700 - 775 without tooo much of a significant temp rise...