[SOLVED] Does PC gaming TVs exist? I need one.

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hi there people!

While I was thinking about the PC build I'm currently trying to figure out, I realized that I have two TVs, but no gaming monitor. For now, that was completely fine, because with my 1080 Ti and nearly all settings set to ultra and 1080p / 1440p I was never able to see much more FPS past 60. But now, with this 3080, I'll see more than double the FPS and my poor TV could not show it. And because my budget is stretched to it's maximum, I need to buy a TV, not a gaming monitor. For the past 10 years I've been playing all my games (both console and PC) on TVs around 40"+ and gaming monitors are extremely expensive past 27''...or even at 27''. I kinda don't want to switch to 27'' from 43''. I also don't play anything Esports and I don't care about reaction time. I know that many new TVs support 120Hz and above, but it's nearly never shown on specs. You can find out in advanced settings and switch from there OR just overclock the TV through nVidia Control Panel. I tried it on my old Sony TV and it worked, but the display is little bit glitching and flickering aaand that's not good. The TV in the living is a lot newer and 4k HDR, but I have to take it to my PC and try with it. Even if it works...I'll need to buy a second one for my PC (cuz I keep the other one for consoles).

So my question is...does something like a gaming TV exist? How much it costs and so on. I just need it to have 4k HDR and to be able to overclock to 120hz, that's it. Oh and the information on how to overclock it and stuff I found on blurbusters.com

EDIT: I took the 4k TV upstairs and tried it, it does have a 120Hz mode on the scroll down menu, but when I switch to it, resolution goes down to 1080p. I guess 4k 120hz TV is not possible?

Last edited:
Solution
I did not know it was not possible. Like I said, in sites like blurbusters.com, people are discussing monitor and TV overclocks and have guides to everything including this. I tried it on two TVs, one is 3 years older and glitched, the other didn't glitch, it worked, but the resolution was 1080p. Also, Windows detects the TV can run at 120hz, because it's an option when I go to System/Display/Advanced Display Settings/ Display Adapter Properties for Display 1/ Monitor and on Monitor Settings I can select refresh rate 120hz on the newer TV. On the older, it's 60 only. So, if I want to play at just 1080p...it's possible. The TV also has HDR. Thing is...with a 3080, it would be a damn shame to play at 1080p.
All of that makes me think...

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Yes it exists, its called a Monitor.

Gaming monitors use much higher end panels than TVs do. There is a reason 55 inch TVs are $300 and monitors cost a lot more.

There are 120hz 4k tvs, they are significantly more expensive.

Yes, I know, but like I said, they are too expensive for my budget right now, so I was asking if there is an alternative, because I know TVs can be overclocked to 120hz or just have a 120hz mode. The TV in my living room has 120hz mode, but just 1080p. I was asking if there is a 4k 120hz option so I can buy it. You're telling me there are, but are too expensive. So I guess I have no option. Even if I had the money, I don't want to use a small 27'' screen even if it's 4k HDR 144hz, I want something near 40''. Such monitors exist, like the Acer Predator CG437K, but are waay above my budget right now. I did not consider a new TV / monitor for my upgrade. So I'll just stick with 4k HDR 43'' 60hz TV for now, until I save enough money to buy that 37'' Acer or another. In the meantime, I'll still be searching for a 4k TV that can be overclocked to 120hz and keep the resolution.

Thanks for replying.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes, I know, but like I said, they are too expensive for my budget right now, so I was asking if there is an alternative, because I know TVs can be overclocked to 120hz or just have a 120hz mode. The TV in my living room has 120hz mode, but just 1080p. I was asking if there is a 4k 120hz option so I can buy it. You're telling me there are, but are too expensive. So I guess I have no option. Even if I had the money, I don't want to use a small 27'' screen even if it's 4k HDR 144hz, I want something near 40''. Such monitors exist, like the Acer Predator CG437K, but are waay above my budget right now. I did not consider a new TV / monitor for my upgrade. So I'll just stick with 4k HDR 43'' 60hz TV for now, until I save enough money to buy that 37'' Acer or another. In the meantime, I'll still be searching for a 4k TV that can be overclocked to 120hz and keep the resolution.

Thanks for replying.

You're not going to find a TV that can be overclocked to 120hz, you tried it and as you said it was glitchy and flickered, because again 60hz TVs use cheap panels that can't handle being pushed like that. As mentioned above a true 120hz 4k tv will cost quite a bit more than you want to spend. Many "120hz" tv's aren't even a true 120 they are faked using motion smoothing.

If it were that cheap/easy everyone would be doing it. The fact that no one is should tell you something.

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
You're not going to find a TV that can be overclocked to 120hz, you tried it and as you said it was glitchy and flickered, because again 60hz TVs use cheap panels that can't handle being pushed like that. As mentioned above a true 120hz 4k tv will cost quite a bit more than you want to spend. Many "120hz" tv's aren't even a true 120 they are faked using motion smoothing.

If it were that cheap/easy everyone would be doing it. The fact that no one is should tell you something.

I did not know it was not possible. Like I said, in sites like blurbusters.com, people are discussing monitor and TV overclocks and have guides to everything including this. I tried it on two TVs, one is 3 years older and glitched, the other didn't glitch, it worked, but the resolution was 1080p. Also, Windows detects the TV can run at 120hz, because it's an option when I go to System/Display/Advanced Display Settings/ Display Adapter Properties for Display 1/ Monitor and on Monitor Settings I can select refresh rate 120hz on the newer TV. On the older, it's 60 only. So, if I want to play at just 1080p...it's possible. The TV also has HDR. Thing is...with a 3080, it would be a damn shame to play at 1080p.
All of that makes me think it's possible to do...even if not now, in the near feature. I'll keep researching and if I find any results about solid No or Yes, I'll post them here.
You said everybody would do it if it was possible, well no, because 99% of the people I know don't even have the concept of using a 43'' TV as a monitor 1 meter / 3 feet from your face. And the other 1 % I know of...know this because of me. I haven't met a single person in my life ever, using a TV as a monitor. That's why nobody is doing it. But people like those at blurbusters.com are doing it and even have guides for it.

EDIT: then...can you offer me gaming monitors that have 4k, HDR and 120+ ? I really love the Asus ROG Strix XG, but it's 1440p I think. Actually I found this "Best 4K Gaming Monitors for PC 2020: 144Hz, Curved and More" and it's from TomsHardware so, I guess I can trust this?

EDIT 2: I started searching for 4k 120hz+ HDR monitors around 32''...and this quest is nearly impossible. I guess those technologies are too new for the monitor market or are they? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. I saw enough 4k 144hz...I think...but 27''...and no HDR...and everything I find is out of stock. It's really hard to find what I need...can I get a little help please :/ ?

EDIT 3: saw some benchmarks of the 3080...the games using 4k Ray Tracing don't go much above 60 (Control 4k RT for example avg is 35 FPS)...suddenly the need for 120hz became much lower, but I'm still searching. Actually ya know what...4k 100-120hz 27''...please give me suggestions... HDR is optional, but highly valued.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
All of that makes me think it's possible to do...even if not now, in the near feature. I'll keep researching and if I find any results about solid No or Yes, I'll post them here.
You said everybody would do it if it was possible, well no, because 99% of the people I know don't even have the concept of using a 43'' TV as a monitor 1 meter / 3 feet from your face. And the other 1 % I know of...know this because of me. I haven't met a single person in my life ever, using a TV as a monitor. That's why nobody is doing it. But people like those at blurbusters.com are doing it and even have guides for it.

By not possible I meant 4k at 120, at least not reliably. The combination of both the ability to display 4x the pixels at the same refresh rate as 1080p, needs more processing power, a lot more than you can get reliably by overclocking.

Windows detecting it and saying it can do it doesn't mean it will work. I can get Windows to see my CPU run at 5ghz, doesn't mean it will be worth a damn.

Your hyperbolic suggestion of only 1% of people know about using a TV, well its just hogwash. Spend a little time here on this forum itself, there are a TON of people using TVs for gaming. Its the cheapest way to get a big screen, but TVs are a compromise over a real monitor, thats just the way it is. As I said, if it was easy or cheap to just "Overclock" a $300 TV everyone would be doing it.

Solution

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
By not possible I meant 4k at 120, at least not reliably. The combination of both the ability to display 4x the pixels at the same refresh rate as 1080p, needs more processing power, a lot more than you can get reliably by overclocking.

Windows detecting it and saying it can do it doesn't mean it will work. I can get Windows to see my CPU run at 5ghz, doesn't mean it will be worth a damn.

Your hyperbolic suggestion of only 1% of people know about using a TV, well its just hogwash. Spend a little time here on this forum itself, there are a TON of people using TVs for gaming. Its the cheapest way to get a big screen, but TVs are a compromise over a real monitor, thats just the way it is. As I said, if it was easy or cheap to just "Overclock" a $300 TV everyone would be doing it.

Okay mate, I agree with you. I just thought that it could be possible, because with a cheap or mid-range TV you sacrifice so much like color accuracy, g-sync (and the amd equivalent), reaction time and more...and I thought that having only 2 essential features would be possible, I guess it's not :(
In my country I can't find 4k 144hz (or 100hz) monitors that are not sold out...but really, I don't know what I'm looking for. I just need some suggestions, but I guess this is not the right thread to do it. Should I make a new one or...?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Okay mate, I agree with you. I just thought that it could be possible, because with a cheap or mid-range TV you sacrifice so much like color accuracy, g-sync (and the amd equivalent), reaction time and more...and I thought that having only 2 essential features would be possible, I guess it's not :(
In my country I can't find 4k 144hz (or 100hz) monitors that are not sold out...but really, I don't know what I'm looking for. I just need some suggestions, but I guess this is not the right thread to do it. Should I make a new one or...?

Yeah I think if you create a new thread asking for 4k high refresh monitors in whatever country you are in. Within the thread maybe provide some suggestions of stores that you have access to (with links if possible) and your expected budget as well as an outline of what hardware you have, so people can look through what may be available to you.

Right now due to COVID a lot of PC hardware is sold out or backordered, the supply chain is getting better but still its not there yet so you may just need to be patient.

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Well I decided on buying the LG CX 55''. It has OLED 4k HDR G-sync 1ms response time 120hz and I got it on sale for 1400 $. I don't think there's a better TV for gaming. And it's amazing for this price to get those specs. No gaming monitor comes close...especially in this price range. After all, it was possible to buy a TV that delivers on everything I want and it's not super expensive. The price alone is not small, but for that you get for those 1400$ is unmatched.
Time for people to start switching to TVs.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well I decided on buying the LG CX 55''. It has OLED 4k HDR G-sync 1ms response time 120hz and I got it on sale for 1400 $. I don't think there's a better TV for gaming. And it's amazing for this price to get those specs. No gaming monitor comes close...especially in this price range. After all, it was possible to buy a TV that delivers on everything I want and it's not super expensive. The price alone is not small, but for that you get for those 1400$ is unmatched.
Time for people to start switching to TVs.

Well keep in. mind you can get a similar 4k 120hz tv for $900, so you are paying for that Gsync and refresh rate. LG created this new segment to cater to people who want to do what you're doing, but you do pay for it.

BenJi2d

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Yeah that's really nice, but I was not looking to buy something for 3000 $. Also, I don't play any kind of e-sport games that go above 120hz. I'm playing single player 99% of the time which means...I crank up the settings to ultra and FPS will never exceed those 120hz the LG has, especially with more and more games having RTX in the future. I mean...I really don't need this 3000$ monitor, I would never take advantage of what it offers. The only thing it will be worth to me is flex...and I don't care about flex. And I really need the TV part, because I also have consoles...and this LG is OLED HDR...amazing picture quality. I saw a few YouTubers recently switch to this LG CX, including LinusTT. The TV is incredible for this price.
Lastly I would like to mention that for all my gaming career which is 24+ years, I was always gaming to the maximum of 60fps. This 120hz LG will be the experience I never had. Even if it looks funny to you guys that are used to 144hz, to me this is some exciting times :D

Thanks for all the replies people, you helped me out!

P.S. I ordered the Asus ROG STRIX XG279Q, but the moment I found out about this TV I cancelled my order and ordered the TV.