[SOLVED] Does SL-DVI-D gpu port work on DVI-D monitor port ?

UnknownID

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
I have a Gt1030 itx gpu which has a SL-DVI-D output and im thinking of buying a new monitor but that one i want has a DVI-D port and i was wondering if that would work/ connect with the same cable or would i need a adapter for it. (Btw same would question would apply in the case of a HDMI monitor would a HDMI 2.0b work on a HDMI monitor, does the extra letters mean something or is it just to differentiate the two ?) Thanks in advance for your help !!

Solution
Any DVI port can be connected to any other DVI port with a standard DVI cable.

Any HDMI port can be connected to any other HDMI port with an HDMI cable.

The version number is an unofficial way of expressing (approximately) what features it supports.

The version number is an unofficial way of expressing (approximately) what features it supports.

Solution

UnknownID

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019

Alright thanks for the fast and useful reply.

Like I said, if you specifically search for one you'll find it :p But I've never encountered one in person, and never had one show high up in a search for "DVI cable", they would be incompatible with almost all DVI monitors on the market (which would suggest we would have lots of threads asking for help if people were buying them, but I haven't experienced that). DVI confuses people enough as it is, I try not to add to it by warning about problems people are unlikely to encounter.

Last edited: