Question Does the i3-14100 ihs fit a i9-14900ks chip?

NVIDIA-IS-BAE

Honorable
Apr 16, 2019
Hi everyone!

I have a bit of a problem. My brother accidentally damaged the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) of my 14900KS CPU, and now I'm unsure how to proceed.

Here's the backstory: I decided to delid my CPU using the Der8auer tool. After delidding, I cleaned the chip/ihs and left it on my desk because the grizly liquid metal I ordered was out of stock, and would take four days to arrive.

On day three, my well-intentioned but uninformed brother tried to lap the IHS. Unfortunately, he wet-sanded the wrong side, the side that touches the die instead of the side with the laser-etched text. Now, the IHS is just a flat, unusable piece of copper. So instead of lapping the side that says the model of cpu it is, he lapped the underside.

Despite my warnings not to touch my things, he did this while I was at work, thinking he was doing me a favor, not realising he was messing up the wrong side. I myself never intended to lap the IHS, Just liquid metal and re-lid the cpu.

So, now I have a 14900KS just sitting there on my desk because the IHS is destroyed. I see 4 possible options, which only 3 are really viable for me.

Option 1 - Direct Die Cooling: This isn't an option for me; I really don't want to go this route. I just want to mention that i know it’s a possibility, but not a road i want to explore to be honest.

Option 2 - Rockitcool Copper IHS: I'm using a Thermalright LGA1700 contact frame, and I've heard reports that this IHS doesn't fit well with it. So, this option is a 50/50 gamble. If someone has this ihs and the exact thermalright contact frame, pls let me know.

Option 3 - Use the IHS from an i3-14100 cpu: I could buy an i3-14100 CPU, delid it, and use its IHS on my i9-14900KS, hoping they are compatible. This seems like the most promising option to try first. This is also the option i am the most tempted with to try out first. This will also work well with the contact frame if it’s compatible on the i9.

Option 4 - Buy a Copper IHS from AliExpress: This is also a 50/50 chance since I'm unsure about the quality and compatibility of these IHS pieces for my chip. If the i3 igs works on my i9, i will put this on the i3 and sell it on ebay prob. Or keep it for troubleshooting maybe.

If anyone knows whether the IHS from an i3-14100 is compatible with my i9, please advise me on this. Additionally, if you have any better advice, please feel free to share. Direct die cooling or fully custom water cooling is not something I'm willing to consider. I have a nzxt 360 kraken elite aio, that i would love to keep using.

If you got to this part, i sincerely would like to thank you for reading this far. I appreciate any and all help or advice.

Ps: yes my brother is a fool, but he meant well, i still love that sucker. Luckily it’s just the ihs and not the chip/die itself. He didn’t touch that or i would have murdered the guy.

While the IHS on all LGA1700 CPUs are the same the dimensions of the die are not. The only safe choice there would be buying one of the CPUs guaranteed to be RPL die the cheapest of which would be 14500/13500.

TG does have a heatspreader, but they're having to research why people are getting different results so they removed it from purchase. There's no telling when/if they'll end up back on the market.

Given the options and costs involved buying the EKWB direct die AIO would probably be the best choice.

NVIDIA-IS-BAE

Honorable
Apr 16, 2019
How could somebody possibly know how to lap but then don't know which side of the IHS to lap?!
Also how can somebody possibly lap the recessed inside of the IHS?!

This stinks of somebody trying to return an i3 as an 14900ks to make some money.
Yes i am going to return my 14900ks as an i3 to lose 90% of my money, what kinda stuff are you smoking lil bro☠️

NVIDIA-IS-BAE

Honorable
Apr 16, 2019
While the IHS on all LGA1700 CPUs are the same the dimensions of the die are not. The only safe choice there would be buying one of the CPUs guaranteed to be RPL die the cheapest of which would be 14500/13500.

TG does have a heatspreader, but they're having to research why people are getting different results so they removed it from purchase. There's no telling when/if they'll end up back on the market.

Given the options and costs involved buying the EKWB direct die AIO would probably be the best choice.
Decided to buy a i3-14100f and put it to the test, if the ihs works its the cheapest option, if not i am reliding the i3 and selling it on ebay. From there i will see what i try next. Direct die will be my last option if all else fails. Maybe i can find a broken i9 on ebay for cheap.