[SOLVED] Does the MSI B450M GAMING PLUS support 5000 series ryzen chips?

Oct 27, 2017
I am on bios version 7B87v1F4(Beta version) (which is the latest version) currently running a ryzen 5 1600. Was thinking it is about time I upgrade my cpu, the plan was to get the ryzen 5 3600 but in my country I will be paying about 70 percent the price of a 5600x for a 3600 so figured might as well get the newer chip but then I noticed none of the BIOS updates show support for 5000 series added in the notes after which I thought I will have to invest in a new motherboard too but then I looked at the compatibility page of the motherboard and the list did contain the 5000 series chips, so will my motherboard work with a 5600x or will have to get a new mobo?

Solution
Was just confused because I had heard B450 boards dropped support for 1000 series in return for 5000 series because of their memory limit.
It may be that some did drop support for 1000 series but most didn't, mostly they only dropped support for the pre-Zen, Bristol Ridge processors. Some manufacturers dropped a lot of their BIOS' features to make it fit within the available BIOS memory capacity with the new processors. That's what MSI did as they dropped the graphical BIOS user interface and the ability to save BIOS settings with my son's B450m Mortar.
Yes but the problem with that is shouldn't I have lost support for 1000 series ryzen? I am running a 1600 as i said. Also if you look at the home page https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-GAMING-PLUS
It only really mentions support for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen ryzen.
That board needs to be running BIOS 7B87v1F4 to work with a 5000 series CPU. That BIOS does have an SMU (25.86.0) that should support Summit Ridge (1000 series) processors.

Reactions: RodroX
Was just confused because I had heard B450 boards dropped support for 1000 series in return for 5000 series because of their memory limit.
It may be that some did drop support for 1000 series but most didn't, mostly they only dropped support for the pre-Zen, Bristol Ridge processors. Some manufacturers dropped a lot of their BIOS' features to make it fit within the available BIOS memory capacity with the new processors. That's what MSI did as they dropped the graphical BIOS user interface and the ability to save BIOS settings with my son's B450m Mortar.

Solution
back then I was coming from AM3+ so had to buy DDR4 ram and a processor along with the motherboard so was a little short on budget when it came to the mobo but so far it has served me well though with MSI's BIOS updates stability grows questionable.
I think it pretty safe to assume it won't be any different from my son's B450m Mortar. I upgraded my system to a 5800X (it's a B550m TUF gaming plus) and moved the 3700X into his Mortar.

On the latest BIOS it's amazingly good with the 3700X strung out using a fully tweaked PBO and 3600 memory. As far as memory goes, I just bought a GSKill Ripjaws 3600 rated kit and enabled XMP with no problems. We worked at it a bit and were able to tighten up some of the timings quite a bit too.

I think you should be fine if you are careful and work methodically. Most people jump in with random BIOS settings without even resetting CMOS after updating or swapping hardware so it's hard to gauge actual results from their experience.

ADDED: But to be honest, the actual changeout wasn't without some grief. After first replacing the processor (it was already on the latest BIOS) and resetting CMOS it booted to BIOS just fine but refused to go into Windows when secure boot was enabled...it would just hang up at the spinner. I had to reinstall the 1700 then enter Windows and disable all the security, change to using a password instead of PIN (even though the PIN wouldn't work anymore) and clear TPM storage. Then swap the CPU, reset CMOS again, enable UEFI and secure boot and it would get into Windows with standard security again. What a mess!

I don't know what it's all about, maybe just additional complications with the new Windows updates and TPM enabled by default in BIOS maybe, but that seemed to work for me. I was thinking I'd have to do a clean install of Windows to get set up with new security lockouts.

Last edited: