[SOLVED] Does this mean write-caching is enabled for my external HDD?

DavidSchwegler

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
Hi, I have an external drive I'm using for backups. Quick Removal seems like the right policy.

I'm surprised that write-caching is enabled and grayed out. If I temporarily switch to Better performance I can modify the Write-caching policy to un-check it, and then switch back to Quick removal. But maybe it's actually disabled and the checkbox is a red herring?

rwyQVLm.png

DavidSchwegler

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
well its not enabled, quick removal is same as with flash thumb drives, u just click on taskbar to eject/disconnect usb drive and cache gets flushed to drive, once drive dissapears, u can unplug usb cable
I'm sorry I don't understand your statement. I thought the point of Quick Removal to avoid the need for using the Safely Remove Hardware button, because it doesn't use Write Caching, so it wouldn't need to be flushed.

popatim

Titan
Quick removal is ideally for flashdrives; it writes directly to the drive instead of passing thru a software cache. Cache can take the writes at a much higher speed then the flash media can and return your system to a more ready status while the writes finish from the cache to the flash.

SDD & HDD have built in write buffers and you don't really want to disconnect before those get written out to the cells.
As mentioned, Many HDD's have the head parking issue to be wary of as well.

Reactions: DavidSchwegler
Reactions: DavidSchwegler
Solution

DavidSchwegler

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
You can determine whether the HDD's volatile write cache is enabled by examining word #85, bit #5 of the ATA Identify Device output:

http://www.t13.org/documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2011/d2015r7-ATAATAPI_Command_Set_-_2_ACS-2.pdf (page 141)

You can use the "text copy" option of CrystalDiskInfo to retrieve the 512-byte Identify Device data block. I could analyse the output, if necessary.
Thanks fzabkar, I think I just misread the description ::embarassed:: . The description of Quick Removal states that write caching is disabled on the device and windows when set. I appreciate the link in case I'm curious enough to see for myself, though.