Question Does this seem realistic? Only 600 w PCU for a RX 7900 GRE Hellhound?

Feb 28, 2024
I was looking at graphics cards for 1440p n stuff and I stumbled upon the RX 7900 GRE PowerColor HellHound. It says on the website that it recommends a 750 or greater PCU. I have a 600w and I used PC part picker to see if I did, but it says for my entire setup if I had a 7900 GRE I would only need 530 some watts ( so like my 600w PCU), and I used Newegg wattage calculator and it was about the same just a little closer to 600w. Does that calculation seem right or should I get a PCU that it recommends...?

Here is the link to the PC part picker list and the wattage

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I hope that works...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is just a link to the website.

No 600W is not enough for the 7900 GRE generally. It is a 260W component on its own. Though 270W from the rest of your system seems high. Intel?

Using 530W out of a 600W unit will mean it will run hot, loud, and reduce its lifespan. If it fails badly it could damage components. Now, you don't typically have 100% power usage of every component at all times. Gaming on a CPU rarely uses all of it, but GPUs can run at 100% if you don't set frame limits or have settings/resolution too high. That said, GPUs also have short duration power demands that are much greater than their ratings. As much as double for tens of milliseconds. A lower end PSU may treat these as over current events and shut down.

Generally you want your PSU to be at around 50-80% of its max rating, towards the lower number when possible. 530/600 is 88%

PSU quality also matters.

A good quality 750W unit is what I would recommend as a minimum for any of the top tier cards from AMD or Nvidia.

I was looking at graphics cards for 1440p n stuff and I stumbled upon the RX 7900 GRE PowerColor HellHound. It says on the website that it recommends a 750 or greater PCU. I have a 600w and I used PC part picker to see if I did, but it says for my entire setup if I had a 7900 GRE I would only need 530 some watts ( so like my 600w PCU), and I used Newegg wattage calculator and it was about the same just a little closer to 600w. Does that calculation seem right or should I get a PCU that it recommends...?

Here is the link to the PC part picker list and the wattage

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I hope that works...
What are the current components in your computer?