Question Does this seem realistic? Only 600 w PCU for a RX 7900 GRE Hellhound?

I was looking at graphics cards for 1440p n stuff and I stumbled upon the RX 7900 GRE PowerColor HellHound. It says on the website that it recommends a 750 or greater PCU. I have a 600w and I used PC part picker to see if I did, but it says for my entire setup if I had a 7900 GRE I would only need 530 some watts ( so like my 600w PCU), and I used Newegg wattage calculator and it was about the same just a little closer to 600w. Does that calculation seem right or should I get a PCU that it recommends...?

Here is the link to the PC part picker list and the wattage

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I hope that works...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is just a link to the website.

No 600W is not enough for the 7900 GRE generally. It is a 260W component on its own. Though 270W from the rest of your system seems high. Intel?

Using 530W out of a 600W unit will mean it will run hot, loud, and reduce its lifespan. If it fails badly it could damage components. Now, you don't typically have 100% power usage of every component at all times. Gaming on a CPU rarely uses all of it, but GPUs can run at 100% if you don't set frame limits or have settings/resolution too high. That said, GPUs also have short duration power demands that are much greater than their ratings. As much as double for tens of milliseconds. A lower end PSU may treat these as over current events and shut down.

Generally you want your PSU to be at around 50-80% of its max rating, towards the lower number when possible. 530/600 is 88%

PSU quality also matters.

A good quality 750W unit is what I would recommend as a minimum for any of the top tier cards from AMD or Nvidia.

I was looking at graphics cards for 1440p n stuff and I stumbled upon the RX 7900 GRE PowerColor HellHound. It says on the website that it recommends a 750 or greater PCU. I have a 600w and I used PC part picker to see if I did, but it says for my entire setup if I had a 7900 GRE I would only need 530 some watts ( so like my 600w PCU), and I used Newegg wattage calculator and it was about the same just a little closer to 600w. Does that calculation seem right or should I get a PCU that it recommends...?

Here is the link to the PC part picker list and the wattage

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

I hope that works...
What are the current components in your computer?

That is just a link to the website.

No 600W is not enough for the 7900 GRE generally. It is a 260W component on its own. Though 270W from the rest of your system seems high. Intel?

Using 530W out of a 600W unit will mean it will run hot, loud, and reduce its lifespan. If it fails badly it could damage components. Now, you don't typically have 100% power usage of every component at all times. Gaming on a CPU rarely uses all of it, but GPUs can run at 100% if you don't set frame limits or have settings/resolution too high. That said, GPUs also have short duration power demands that are much greater than their ratings. As much as double for tens of milliseconds. A lower end PSU may treat these as over current events and shut down.

Generally you want your PSU to be at around 50-80% of its max rating, towards the lower number when possible. 530/600 is 88%

PSU quality also matters.

A good quality 750W unit is what I would recommend as a minimum for any of the top tier cards from AMD or Nvidia.
Sorry, here is a link that should work. In it I just changed the gc to the 7900 gre, but I didn't change my pcu so its still a 600w. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/db8mYN

You should be able to get by with the 600W that you currently have, there isn't much headroom, but it should be fine since you have a decent unit. Full load, balls out with everything running at 100% 24/7 your system would consume around 550w, thats your worst case scenario. Ideally you want to leave 10 - 20% headroom in case of power spikes on your power supply. Your configuration would be just under that when maxed out, not dangerously so, but its on the edge. I used the calculator below and i subbed in a 7800 XT since the 7900 GRE wasn't available. The 7900 GRE consumes about 15w more under load, so the XT is a good rough representation of the power consumption you would see. I also attached a 7900 GRE review so you could see its power consumption compared with the 7800 XT.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/amd-radeon-rx-7900-gre-review/7

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list https://outervision.com/b/roiQ5m

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i5-13400F
CPU Speed: 4600MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT
Core Clock: 2430MHz
Memory Clock: 2425MHz
Storage: 1 x M.2 NVMe SSD
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 5 x 120mm
Computer Utilization: Always On (24/7)
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: Game On! (24/7)

Load Wattage: 529W
Recommended Wattage: 579W
Amperage: +3.3V: 11.9A, +5V: 8.0A, +12V: 41.6A
Recommended UPS Rating: 1000VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2024-08-30 01:50:24

Latest posts