Does Undervolting Improve Radeon RX Vega 64's Efficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Good article, thanks for the analysis!

Was a similarly indepth look at overclocking/undervolting performance with Polaris done, that I missed? Or is there just whatever is included the various Polaris 10 review articles (e.g. RX 480 review)? If it's the latter, does anyone know which review would contain the most information regarding ths?

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I don't think this article went in-depth enough. Dunno where I've read, but I've seen Vega 64 consume just half or 2 thirds as much power while only loosing 15% performance. Which is tremendous IMO.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Tom's found something similar to that in their review of the Vega 56, with a 28% reduction in power consumption only costing you an 11% performance hit. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-rx-vega-56,5202-22.html

But that's going into underclocking, whereas this article was very focused on undervolting and what effect that has on power consumption.

Although it would be very interesting to see an article that looks into tweaking both clockspeed and voltage to see what sort of efficiency can be achieved.

Xorak

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Maybe it's too early in the morning for me, but I'm a little confused about what we actually found here.. Looks like the highest overclock was achieved using default voltage and the maximum power limit, with a 3% frequency increase.. Under the condition of using a somewhat absurd cooling solution..

So are we to infer that with an air cooled card, undervolting in and of itself is not desirable, but is likely to help more than it hurts because we run out of thermal headroom before the lower voltage becomes a limiting factor?

Thanks for all the bench work and reporting.

Tweaking on AVFS appears to be the *Brave New Frontier* (or, "We're all beta testers for AMD" :lol: ). The fancy cooling was impressive but as noted under- clocking/volting brings out unseen efficiencies in Vega/Polaris. That's certainly not at the top of the list of many Tech Heads but gives AMD better insight going forward as they bake new wafers, fix bugs and tweak the arch.

I suspect the nVidia bunch does the same thing, but the woods are filling-up with volt- and BIOS Mods for Polaris and Vega. There's a thread at Overclock pushing 500 pages! Manipulating volt tables is becoming an art ...

More than anything, what I believe this shows is that AMD (and GloFo) boxed themselves into 'One Size Fits All' with gaming cards because of varying consistencies in the chips, and just like desktop Zen they were the last picks of the litter behind the big money makers --- enterprise, HPC/deep learning, Apple, etc.

Do I need a degree on Tweakology to get the most out of an AMD graphics card?

I still can't comprehend how there are so many engineering issues going on with the design of VEGA, as well as the continued challenges in how to optimize an overclock.

You'd think in 2017 you could just tell the computer to figure out the optimal overclock. We get closer with NVidia; I can use EVGA Precision OC to optimize the voltage/frequency profile though even that isn't perfect as it needed to be restarted many times to finish and when done it wasn't stable in some games.

You'd think the graphics card could continually send itself known data to validate the VRAM and GPU at all times (using a very small percentage of the cycles).... oh, errors? Well, then drop to the next lowest frequency/voltage point. Is that so hard?

ClusT3R

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Do you have like a manual with the values and the software I want to try to remove more power and add more clockspeed as I can I have vega 56

GoldenBunip

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
The biggest gains on Vega is keeping the HBM cool. It will click to 1100 then (but no more) resulting in huge performance gains. Just really hope we crack the stupid bios locks soon.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
I don't understand what is going on here.
Why do we have to put an overkill cooling system for the question "cDoes Undervolting Improve Radeon RX Vega 64's Efficiency?

Astrix_au

Honorable
May 4, 2014
Just use balanced or the power saver bios (the second position to the right) and you will save power there. It can average a steady 240-260w.

Status
Not open for further replies.