Does Unreal Still Look Unreal? Not Anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
While graphics seems to be ever improving, but it's seems like the development with game UI and gameplay have been stagnating. It's just a really biased opinion of mine, but that's what I think the developers should be working on.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Haha. I don't play my old games anymore because I still have the memory that they have incredible graphics. Going back and playing them never seems to do them justice.

G

Those were good days. Ya know, when games still had colored anything, lol.

snqwerty

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
For me unreal was one of the first Glide based games I played, and I still remember the first time I went outside the ship and looked down into a canyon, the view of the birds underneath and the music that joined it still rings in my head.

I'll probably will not play this scene again, but in those days, it was real Unreal.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Haha, this is a funny and sarcastic article, sometimes its good to hav"ice-breaker" articles or news clips like these in order to instill a more fun and reminiscent atmosphere since toms always refers to the past.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]mjello[/nom]It seems something is missing in this piece of news...[/citation]

You mean the news is missing from this news article.

proxicide

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Wow PC is crap! 360 FTW[/citation]
you do realize this was back in 1997, lol xbox fan boys

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]proxicide[/nom]you do realize this was back in 1997, lol xbox fan boys[/citation]

^+1

And..

That game was GREAT fun when it came out, was so exciting to explore the detail put into the game :)

fletchoid

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I have fond memories of this game. For the time, the graphics were "Unreal" (to killerclick: what did Xbox 360 graphics look like in 1997? Oh, that's right, there was no such thing until 2005). The game was beautiful to look at, had excellent music that fit the scenes, bizarre weapons that were tons of fun to use, and exciting gameplay. It was also very very long, and difficult in the later stages. If not for cheat codes, I don't think I would ever have finished it. And speaking of cheat codes, my son spent hours and hours populating areas with various monsters, and then initiating mayhem by dropping a rival monster on the head of a mob, and then watching the mayhem that ensued. I wish the slick graphics games available these days all had excellent gameplay, but unfortunately, a lot of them are just pretty, but not fun.

G

This is old...

*whispering* What was that? *more whispering* That's the point? Oh! I get it now, well done sir!

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]You mean the news is missing from this news article.[/citation]

If any of you dont know by now this should let you know that toms is just become a personal blog post for some of their employees(not naming names but the community knows who they are). Look for your hardware related news else where.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]If any of you dont know by now this should let you know that toms is just become a personal blog post for some of their employees(not naming names but the community knows who they are). Look for your hardware related news else where.[/citation]

Who cares? they tell us what we want to know, and they keep it interesting

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Who cares? they tell us what we want to know, and they keep it interesting[/citation]

I have a 65 gallon plastic bin full of nintendo power and gaming mags from the mid 80s all up to about 1998. Its something I did as a kid. So I guess I can take pictures of my collection and post them on a site that employs me. If you think this is interesting news then God help you.

So basically he told you what you want to know. He told you that game tech has improved. I guess your the only one that didnt get that memo.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Hey silky don't like tom's. Guess what nobody is forcing you to be here. So take your comments, and your bs whines to w/e other site you fancy.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I fondly remember being blown away by Unreals graphics and gameplay, it nailed the atmosphere of exploration on a strange alien world, great level design and so many levels! As others have said the music was excellent.

I was late to the 3D acceleration party and probably didnt play this till 1999.

I appreciate Toms posting an article like this as its a reminder of how far we've come technically, and how important gameplay and story is.

I think Unreal is often overshadowed by Half Life, but the two are comparably wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS