Does upgrading i7 950 to i7 4690k will increase FPS by alot ?

pilouk

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
My GPU is 780ti and i feel that my i7-950 at 4Ghz is somewhat "inefficient". I'm wondering if could have more fps with a cpu change.

Will i see noticeable change with the new CPU like a 10 or 15 fps ?

thanks!

Solution
At 70% gpu usage you have a bottleneck a new cpu will give you that 10-15fps maybe more. 90% you have a small bottleneck a new cpu will give you a small boost. 95% and above not really a bottleneck you may notice a very slight performance increase with a new cpu. Generally.

pilouk

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

So i could test if my Gpu is near 90 % to see if i have bottleneck ?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
At 70% gpu usage you have a bottleneck a new cpu will give you that 10-15fps maybe more. 90% you have a small bottleneck a new cpu will give you a small boost. 95% and above not really a bottleneck you may notice a very slight performance increase with a new cpu. Generally.

Solution

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

yes you can test for bottlenecks, its a bit inpercise though.

open up a GPU load monitoring program like GPUz and something to keep an eye on your CPU load (task manager is largely sufficient). you will need to keep an eye on these as you play some games, try to hit some point where your system really chugs and see whats maxed out and whats not.

just a few far-warnings. most games are single thread performance bound. as such, its more important to look at your CPU load by the individual cores available rather than the overall view windows likes to default to. vRAM usage will almost never be maxed, so don't use it as much of a metric on graphics card performance, unless it is near maxed in which case you should look into a newer GPU. if your GPU load is below 90% when your frame rates tanking, then you are likely CPU bound. and finally, make sure your frame rate isn't being capped by a game that wont render past 60fps or has vsync enabled.

pilouk

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

I got two GPU % one near 90% but the other one always near 70 % (msi afterburner)
Should both be near 90 % + ???

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

i have never used MSI Afterburner so i may be wrong, but typically GPU load is split in to a percentage for GPU load and memory controller load. GPU load is always the more taxed part in my experience and is the biggest indicator of graphics card utilization. if the second percentage your seeing is indeed the memory controller load, i wouldn't consider it being lower a problem. most games i play wont even push the Memory controller past 60% on my GTX 980 at 1440p but can and will still peg the GPU metric to 99%.

if your maxing out at 90% utilization on your GPU with your current set up, the most you would likely see is not even a double digit percentage increase in your maximum by going to a faster CPU. (however your minimum might be helped far more) CPU's haven't moved upward in performance nearly as fast as GPU's, you will be able to see a difference, just nothing huge in my book.