[SOLVED] Does Wds bridge between main and another router reduce speed?

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Hi,
I have read about it but still confused. I plan to enable wds bridge on second router which will wirelessly connect to first. Thus there will be only 2 routers. main and wds bridged. will the wifi speed from second router now reduce?
Also can wds be enabled on both bands in case of dual band router? Thanks.

Solution
It depends on how you connect to the second router. If you use a ethernet cable then it will be as though you had a wifi nic connected via ethernet rather than say USB,

If you connect to the second router with wifi you are running as a repeater. A repeater will drop your speed in 1/2 because you now 2 signals sharing the same wifi bandwidth. At higher traffic rates it gets worse because the signals can collide and cause data loss.

Using a repeater should always be your very last option. You only use them when you choice is no signal at all from the main router or a crappy repeated signal.
It depends on how you connect to the second router. If you use a ethernet cable then it will be as though you had a wifi nic connected via ethernet rather than say USB,

If you connect to the second router with wifi you are running as a repeater. A repeater will drop your speed in 1/2 because you now 2 signals sharing the same wifi bandwidth. At higher traffic rates it gets worse because the signals can collide and cause data loss.

Using a repeater should always be your very last option. You only use them when you choice is no signal at all from the main router or a crappy repeated signal.

Solution

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks. I think the reason I am confused is because there are many terms. access point, repeater and WDS. I am referring to WDS option available in routers, where you search for existing WiFi and establish WDS bridge between two. That's where I want to know if it will reduce speed. I will only have main router and second one as WDS.

8IvRkfE.png

Again how do you connect to the second router. If it is via wifi you have a wifi signal between the main router and the second router and a second wifi signal between the second router and the end device. Because you have 2 wifi signals in the path you are using 2 times the shared bandwidth.

Reactions: ravin_29

ravin_29

Commendable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks. I believe wds itself is meant for wireless, so it's wifi connection, no wires involved. So does sharing bandwidth between 2 wifi networks by wds reduce speed by 50% approximately?

The WDS is purely a method to pass mac addresses over a encrypted wifi connection. It is not even a actual part of the wifi standard it is a hack to get past the restrictions that the mac address of the device is used as part of the encryption keys.

What matters is do you have 1 or 2 wifi signals. If there is only 1 that is between the 2 routers then you are running in bridge mode and there is no bandwidth penalty. If you also have a wifi signal between the second router and the end device you are running in repeater mode and there is at least a 50% reduction.

It really doesn't matter it WDS is running on the devices or not there are other technical ways to accomplish a similar network without WDS. What is key is how many radio signals are there.

Reactions: ravin_29

TRENDING THREADS