Does Win 10 still suffer from slowdown/freezing from overly large user profiles?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
I know someone who runs a business that deals with a LOT of digital files which she keeps a backup of on Dropbox. The problem is that Dropbox's default folder location puts it inside the users personal folder which of course gets added to the users profile size. Right now her user profile is sitting at 825GB. Yes you read that right. I know this used to be an issue but I wasn't sure if it still was in Windows 10. She is reluctant to touch it since it is where Dropbox wanted it and due to it holding important customer files.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's still an issue with 10. It probably is but all the results I see are related to older versions of Windows. It maybe smart enough to treat Dropbox differently since Onedrive would have the same potential problem. I guess the first question is does her computer take way longer to boot all the way into a usable desktop than you think it should?

You could also test the boot time by creating a new 2nd user profile with nothing in it. After the first time of using the new profile (remember you have to let it do that 1st time new user profile setup thing that takes forever). Try alternating booting in to each one to see if there is a big boot time difference.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
It's more like the computer randomly becomes unstable or gets to a point of being in a near-frozen state from time to time. I've already checked and it isn't from Dropbox trying to sync a large number of files. Also a lot of the Windows updates take over her computer for hours. Sometimes being stuck at some % for so long that she has to leave it on overnight so she'll have a working computer (hopefully) in the morning. She has 32GB of ram so it isn't an issue of not enough ram. I may check to make sure that her pagefile hasn't accidentally been set to low.