Does Windows 7 automatically TRIM your SSD?

G

So I got an SSD yesterday and checked if TRIM is enabled, which it is. Only thing is, does Windows do it automatically? I turned defraging off for it. So how do I TRIM the SSD if Windows does not automatically do it?

While Windows is designed to automatically detect most SSDs, sometimes it doesn't work as intended. If you find the performance of your SSD is degrading (or just want to make sure TRIM is properly enabled), run Command Prompt as an administrator and type:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

It will give you one of two results, either a 0 or a 1. A zero indicates that TRIM is enabled correctly, a one means that it is not. If you have a TRIM-compatible SSD, but find that Windows 7 hasn't enabled the command, you can easily do so by running this command:

fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

stevehorvath59

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

After you install an SSD, in order to enable Trim, I believe the best solution is to enable AHCI mode on your PC. First, at startup type "Regedit", Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /SYSTEM /CurrentControlset / Services, then open msahci. In the field left click on "start" and click to Modify. In the value Data field enter "0" and click "ok". Exit "Regedit". Reboot the System and enter the BIOS (hold the "Delete" key while booting). In your BIOS select "Integrated Peripherals" and OnChip PATA/SATA Devices. Now change SATA mode to AHCI from IDE. Now reboot the Windows System again and the OS will recognize AHCI and install the devices. Now, the System needs reboot one more time! After these changes you will enjoy a marked improved SSD performance. On my Samsung SSD, the Read value changed from 201 to 276, the Write value changed from 219 to 244; All Read value changed from 7,232 to 26,914 and Write value changed from 14,118 to 18,922. As you can see, there were significant improvements! Steve H.

However if you are installing from scratch, then simply set to AHCI in the bios, have the mobo drivers handy, but it'll probably take care of itself during the install process.

Regedit is a last resort, one mistyped character, bang! your system won't boot. There is an MS fixit applet that will do the same thing but without having to use regedit.

And you seem to have missed a bit: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/922976/error-message-occurs-after-you-change-the-sata-mode-of-the-boot-drive