Question Doing a big computer overhaul - MSI B450 Pro - PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E1) slot not picking up graphics card (no post)

Jul 18, 2022
Hey all

I did a pretty big overhaul on my PC - new Mobo, CPU and RAM so some issues were to be expected. The problem I'm having is that the top PCIe 16x slot doesn't detect my nVidia GeForce 1080. The bottom slot (the gen 2 one) does and I can get to desktop and use the computer seemingly fine. However this isn't ideal and the card does get quite hot running in this bottom slot (Chivalry 2 did a hard kernel reset when testing so there's obviously another problem, but one thing at a time - other games I tested ran perfectly fine - so I'm hoping to rule out any MAJOR hardware faults (bent CPU pins etc, for now))

I tried setting the gen settings to both 2 and 3 manually (rather than Auto) in the BIOS but the card still doesn't work.- and the VGA EZ debug light is white.

I'm running the 2021 version of the BIOS that came installed, as I was concerned upgrading might remove the legacy CSM boot option which I need to launch my old style Windows install. Obviously I can clean install Windows UEFI mode (I was planning on getting a nVME drive) - but I'm hoping there's an easy BIOS configuration fix you can suggest.

The computer:

Windows 10
MSI B450 A Motherboard (new)
AMD Ryzon 5600 (new)
Corsair RAM 3200 16GB (new)
GeForce 1080 (Existing)
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD (existing)
Samsung EVO 500gb SSD (existing - windows install)
Seagate 2TB HDD (existing - just file storage)
750W PSU

I'll admit that on first boot I just plugged it all in and turned the computer on, once I got to desktop (after moving the GFX card) I then downloaded the MSI software drivers and installed. Like I said, i haven't downloaded any BIOS versions - perhaps I need to go backwards?

Any suggestions would be fantastic! I'm not a pro-user but I can follow instructions pretty well.

EDIT- It's worth noting that this card ran fine on my old set up. I also tried an old 660 I had lying around and it still wouldn't post

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You may try updating BIOS but i doubt it has any effect. Especially since you've tried the slot with 2 different, known to work GPUs and you still won't get PC running normally.

Here, you'd have 2 choices:
  1. RMA the MoBo.
  2. Use GPU vertical bracket (to give GPU better cooling), while another end of the riser cable is plugged into working slot.
E.g this one: https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-vertical-pci-e-bracket-hdmi-displayport-black/
And compatibility is listed here (scroll down a bit): https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

Reactions: Brotacon
Jul 18, 2022
You may try updating BIOS but i doubt it has any effect. Especially since you've tried the slot with 2 different, known to work GPUs and you still won't get PC running normally.

Here, you'd have 2 choices:
  1. RMA the MoBo.
  2. Use GPU vertical bracket (to give GPU better cooling), while another end of the riser cable is plugged into working slot.
E.g this one: https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-vertical-pci-e-bracket-hdmi-displayport-black/
And compatibility is listed here (scroll down a bit): https://cablemod.com/compatibility/
Thanks. I'm not so keen on the second option as the MoBo is brand new, so it should work fully. But it is cool to know that sort of thing exists because I have another computer with a micro ATX that's a ball ache to get around because the card takes up so much space.

I've emailed the above to MSI tech support, along with a hardware monitor log, so it may lead to an RMA. Which kinda sucks as the computer is my only one I use for creative work (the other is just for running VR stuff in the big room). Though I suppose I could slot the old mobo back in. It just feels so likely that I've missed an obvious step, but I doubt it's Windows related as even if I unplug the OS drives the screen doesn't even show the BIOS/UEFI stuff, just *No signal"

Reactions: Aeacus
Jul 18, 2022
Just to update on this, I finally found the setting that seems to get it working - but I don't know if it's going to affect my performance or not - we'll see how stable the system is.

Basically I changed the lanes configuration in the BIOS from AUTO to 8x, 8x. Now it posts - but does this mean my card is only ever going to be using 8 lanes? Or is it just how the resource is divided. There's no other PCI devices on the computer so I'm not sure why this worked.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Basically I changed the lanes configuration in the BIOS from AUTO to 8x, 8x. Now it posts - but does this mean my card is only ever going to be using 8 lanes? Or is it just how the resource is divided. There's no other PCI devices on the computer so I'm not sure why this worked.

What MoBo you exactly have, since there are two of them: MSI B450 A-PRO and MSI B450 A-PRO MAX.

Also, have you tried clearing CMOS?

Reactions: Brotacon

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Did you try clearing CMOS? (Just need to take out CMOS battery, wait for 5 mins and then put it back. <- When PC is turned off of course.)

Since according to MoBo specs:
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot (PCI_E1)
  • 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ support x16 mode
  • Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics support x8 mode
  • Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics support x4 mode

Now, it is possible that in the factory, they tested AMD APU (CPU with Vega graphics) and the CPU imprint is still in BIOS, hence why it works only in 8x mode. Clearing CMOS should fix it, if the issue is with this.

Jul 18, 2022
Did you try clearing CMOS? (Just need to take out CMOS battery, wait for 5 mins and then put it back. <- When PC is turned off of course.)

Since according to MoBo specs:

Now, it is possible that in the factory, they tested AMD APU (CPU with Vega graphics) and the CPU imprint is still in BIOS, hence why it works only in 8x mode. Clearing CMOS should fix it, if the issue is with this.

I took the CMOS out, but maybe not long enough (there seems to be discharge estimates from 30 seconds to some hours - I did the former) but this didn't fix the issue.

Also the system was unstable running in the 8x mode. I'm able to get on and use windows and windows apps without any issue, but as soon as D3D is needed it seems to crash (though now it's a "Display driver has recovered" rather than a hard reset). I ran 3D Mark and it always crashes on the exact same frame - four times I tried this. I do have some juicy Event Viewer entires I can share when I get home.

Our theory is that it fails when the GPU tries to utilise 16 lanes that the slot isn't offering. I'll try clearing CMOS again - taking out the battery for ten minutes minimum - and see if that fixes it. But it's looking a lot like your intiial assessment of a faulty part is right. I just need to determine whether it's the MOBO or CPU. So I might take it to a PC repair shop nearby and get them to test it - happy to pay a bit to know for certain get it running sooner rather than waiting for replacement parts to arrive that might not even be the issue.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
Close this thread. I don't deserve to work with computers.

Essentially the lanes configuration thing was all I had to do to get it working I think, though maybe suggests another problem (I'm returning everything except the RAM going to start fresh with a lot more research and help, and a fresh Windows install to be sure as there was obviously something wrong).

The instability was because putting the GPU in the lower slot had caused it to press against some SATA cables that were under it at a certain position that caused one of the capacitors on the card to break. I'd only tried another GPU in the initial "trying to get it to post" phase. Not the "random crashing" phase. Imagine my surprise when I rebuilt my old system exactly as it had been and found it still crashing on 3D Mark and Chivalry, and then found this little guy on the bottom of my case.

Tw: gore

IMG-20220722-WA0010.jpg

Anyway, so here I am after a failed upgrade attempt, essentially with a downgrade haha. All I've succeeded in doing is going down a graphics card generation.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I don't deserve to work with computers.

Getting backfires is part of the learning process. ;) Though, if you've truly given up on putting it all together by yourself, you can always go and buy a prebuilt system. Downside with prebuilts is that you'll pay more while getting less.

that caused one of the capacitors on the card to break.

That's bad. :( Though, breaking actual hardware, due to user error, haven't come across me that often. Usually, hardware itself is DOA or dies during usage.

All I've succeeded in doing is going down a graphics card generation.

But you also did learn something new. Namely how to troubleshoot hardware issues (to an extent). :)

Jul 18, 2022
That's bad. :( Though, breaking actual hardware, due to user error, haven't come across me that often. Usually, hardware itself is DOA or dies during usage.

Yeah, I realise now that it's really bad, especially with the cost of GPUs being so high (not to mention rare). The GPU was a gift from a friend who upgraded to a 2080 last year, so it's even suckier because I was so lucky to get it (I do art, and he just asked for a commission in return). Apparently a broken off capacitor can be soldered back on/replaced. So I might be able to get the card repaired - it's not completely dead and even if the repair is 100 quid it's worth it. I'll visit the computer shop tomorrow and see what they think.

I'm still keen on building a system myself, and you're right that I learned a lot. It could have been really bad if I'd have splurged on a top end set of parts rather than mid range like I did.

Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS