Don’t Buy a PC With 8GB of RAM (Unless You Plan to Upgrade It)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Why is windows constantly eating more ram the more the years go by? i remember windows 8 would use 500-700mb of ram tops. Now you need 11? to do what?
Telemetry collection, default settings, and bundled trial (paid) apps. Don't want OneDrive - tough! Don't want Teams - tough! Don't want ads in your taskbar or search - tough! Don't want to use your computer without signing in to Microsoft - tough! Even the flashy desktop animations use more resources. Yes, of course all of this can be disabled/turned off but it's all enabled by default and all of it takes resources. Some of these services even continue to run in the background, sapping resources needlessly, even when closed/turned off.

Why is windows constantly eating more ram the more the years go by? i remember windows 8 would use 500-700mb of ram tops. Now you need 11? to do what? Android VMs for app even if you don't use it? services that could be loaded on demand?

Right now i'm using a Zephyrus g14 gen1 full spec(32gb of ram, 8c,2060).

Windows will use at least 6 to 7gb of ram to just turn on.
Ubuntu sits at 990. It means that when i use blender on linux i have 6 more gigabytes of ram free to use before hitting swap.

This trend needs to stop.
All it takes is a little time and effort and you can trim it right down.

You also have to be a little tidy which is a foreign concept for some.

I use 1.5GB at startup.