[done] AMD Launching First GPU With HBM Memory At E3, On June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great. They are announcing something we have known for weeks. I want to see numbers for performance and price. Supposedly there might be two Fury (Fiji XT) based parts, a top of the line one and a lower end one. Current rumored price is $850 but that's a bit much for my blood. As well it is supposed to be only 4GB of HBM until V2 which will have 8GB.

To top it off, the other rumors are that the R300 series are all rebrands, the R9 390X being a 8GB GDDR5 variant of Hawaii XT with a bit higher clock (about 50MHz).

So unless Fury X (if that is the name) comes at a good price and offers great performance I might have to wait for a GPU upgrade when I also upgrade my CPU, RAM and such.

I just hate the wait.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Regular people do not care about technology being staked or unstacked, what people want to know is this, if i will go out there now and buy a $200 nVidia card and it gives me 40 FPS on Witcher 3 on max, if i were to buy an AMD card in the same price range would it give me 70 FPS.

People just want results, not what kind of technology you use, AMD can give us a 1 nano meter chip with hyper threading and turboboost, if it's not outperforming an Intel chip that is priced in the same range it is all meaningless.

That's great. They are announcing something we have known for weeks. I want to see numbers for performance and price. Supposedly there might be two Fury (Fiji XT) based parts, a top of the line one and a lower end one. Current rumored price is $850 but that's a bit much for my blood. As well it is supposed to be only 4GB of HBM until V2 which will have 8GB.

To top it off, the other rumors are that the R300 series are all rebrands, the R9 390X being a 8GB GDDR5 variant of Hawaii XT with a bit higher clock (about 50MHz).

So unless Fury X (if that is the name) comes at a good price and offers great performance I might have to wait for a GPU upgrade when I also upgrade my CPU, RAM and such.

I just hate the wait.

Let's put it this way - Even if AMD were to only have included HBM (which they didn't) the die space savings alone would give them leeway to increase power by about 30% and reduce power consumption. I'm expecting somewhere between a 50 -80 percent increase over the 290x. Price that bad boy at $600 and you've got a Titan and Ti killer.

Regular people do not care about technology being staked or unstacked, what people want to know is this, if i will go out there now and buy a $200 nVidia card and it gives me 40 FPS on Witcher 3 on max, if i were to buy an AMD card in the same price range would it give me 70 FPS.

People just want results, not what kind of technology you use, AMD can give us a 1 nano meter chip with hyper threading and turboboost, if it's not outperforming an Intel chip that is priced in the same range it is all meaningless.

AMD owns the $200 GPU segment right now so yeah, you can get a better card from AMD right now.

rdc85

Honorable
...People just want results, not what kind of technology you use,....
I hope u means generally mass..

because well this is tech site..
more detailed about tech and such is always welcomed ...
It's kinda funny u comment that on here...

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010

AMD owns the $200 GPU segment right now so yeah, you can get a better card from AMD right now.
Now he is going to tell you that "AMD is hot, Nvidia is not". Like the 980ti having 250W TDP and reaching 85Celsius is OK ^^ But when AMD does that it is the end of the world.

Kepe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Yeah.. This is a site dedicated to computer technology. People who come here want to know the technical details. Tech details of a graphics card define what kind of results you can expect when it hits the market. What are you even doing here if this kind of stuff doesn't interest you? If you want the results, wait until the card is released and read the reviews. No one is forcing you to read this stuff.

Gaidax

Distinguished
To be honest, I'm not terribly excited for AMD, seems like they have some major stumbling block there. Making a humongous die size says only one thing to me - they took whatever they had, packed more transistors on it added some frills to help pull it higher and slapped liquid cooling on it and called it a day, simply because they don't really have any actual new architecture yet.

And even worse yet, all the GPUs they will have to offer to the masses will be rebrands of what they have now and even more ridiculous - rebrands of rebrands. These are like 2-3 year old tech being reused already.

Meanwhile, Nvidia's Maxwell is in fact a new architecture that is not being pushed to the limit (at least not at the stretch AMD is doing here) and successor is being prepped to that already and their mid-range consumer products also sport that architecture.

I'm not even going to mention the 980Ti's aggressive pricing, I'm pretty sure AMD can't afford to match this with their latest and greatest, seeing how expensive to make it is.

hannibal

Distinguished
Price that bad boy at $600 and you've got a Titan and Ti killer.

The HBM-memory is completely new technology. It will be expensive. It does not even depend on how fast Fury will, be. The first versions of HBM is going to be expensive. The prediction is a little bit slover than 980ti and priced between 980ti and TitanX. But that is just a rumour, but quite possible. I expect that Fury will be a beast in 4K and other situations where you need a lot of memory bandwidth, but at smaller resolutions like 1080p and 1440p the Nvidia may have the edge. The Fury is a concept of proof for HBM, more like limited edition prototype. It can be really fast in some situations, but very fast memory does not make GPU any faster in most common situations.

... simply because they don't really have any actual new architecture yet.

And even worse yet, all the GPUs they will have to offer to the masses will be rebrands of what they have now and even more ridiculous - rebrands of rebrands. These are like 2-3 year old tech being reused already.

Some things to consider: GCN is not bad architecture, AMD does not have too much money for development at this moment (that is a fact), HBM is new technology.
I think that AMD is trying out HBM in niche product, so they can test how it does work, also they have been waiting for smaller production node for ages (same as Nvidia).
So there is not any sensible reason for AMD to sell Fury cheaply, nor to make whole new series of GPUs. If they would have a lot of money, they could do that, but now they have to think very carefully, where to put their money. 2016 is the year of new production node (14nm or 16nm), it can also be the year of new memory type HBM in larger scale (depending on how expensive it will be to produce HBM memory and how useful it will be in graphic cards and APUs and how much there will HBM memory available in the market, when also Nvidia is moving toward that direction)
So AMD is saving money for 14nm upgrade and new HBM based products. They have to. If they would make whole new products now, they would not have money for upgrades next year, when really big things are happening. It is pity, but AMD is hampering in GPU part, because CPU part has not been very lucrative lately.
We will see much better balanced competition in the next year, because AMD will move to 14nm production node, but still AMD need a little bit of luck, so that they wil get decent amounts of working GPUs and CPUs and APUs from production line. Even Intel did have some hiccups when starting 14nm production, ans they have all the money that development department can hope for...

To people talking nonsense about the price, if the performance are there, people will get in ine to buy it. HBM might be what is going to make 4k possible with a single card. 2160p biggest problem is memory. The lack of memory make the gpu skip frames, crash and having a hard time with High resolution textures.

The article just mention that this is not the case.

On the contrary of you, I am expecting 390x to be 8GB and 380x to be 4GB of HBM. AMD knows how important the amount of memory is for higher resolutions... and HBM was designed for this growing constant. It would not make sense.

trejin1

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
Super hyped. Hbm is going to rock the memory world for next generation graphic cards. Re brand or not, the idea of obtaining a smaller gpu through the use of hbm and water cooling will be an advancement in gpu space which will lead to better temperatures. Overall, this computex will be an amazing year.

JTP709

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

This is how you get better perfmance is the upgrade in technology. Plus, the stacked memory offers a much smaller profile PCB, which for people with smaller cases will mean a lot. I had to buy a new case when I bought my last GPU because it was 1 cm too long (I was planning on buying a new case anyhow, just had to do it a month sooner than I would've liked). The new tech also means a lower power consumption (presumably) which will dictate if people's PSUs are enough to handle the new card or not as well as how much heat it pumps out. All of these things mean a lot to a lot of poeple, not just performance.

G

Very interesting. :D Smaller graphics cards with HBM memory? This would help improve airflow on MicroATX & Mini-ITX cases because most graphics cards today block a lot of the airflow in small cases.

G

AMD has a history of overcharging for new technology, then drastically reducing the price when nothing is moving. The 295X used to sell for $1500, now it's $600. The FX-9590 started at $1000, now it's $250. Look at Intel and Nvidia, they have no equivalent price drop.

I expect the Fury(s) will be $1000+ gpu. It won't be worth that, won't sell a lot, won't be a success. As others have said, R300 series are all rebrands. The R9 390X 8GB GDDR5 variant of Hawaii XT might be interesting, depending on price.

Not looking too good...

Computex 2015 Exclusive: AMD Fiji GPU Die Photo + Info
So over at the AMD press-conference the CEO of AMD showed the upcoming Fiji GPU. That definitely is 28nm, as that thing is huge ! We also have seen the Radeon Fury X ourselves, actually even with the cooler removed and I was able to inspect the PCB.

We have talked to several board partners about AMDs upcoming flagship GPU called Fiji, I have been able to see the product, yet for obvious reasons we cannot show a photo of it. I can confirm a thing or so for you guys. The product is as previously stated 4GB with its framebuffer, the GPU die as stated and shown below is 28nm, roughly 52mm2 and thus big, seriously big. You can physically see the four stacks of HBM (stacked) memory btw.

The product will not have DVI anymore, but a selection of DisplayPort x3 and HDMI 2.0 x1. The card seems to have six power phases if I counted right slash fast enough and will have two 8-pin connectors PCIe PEG power connectors. So, the card can draw up to 375 watts. Which is indicative for power consumption.

The Fiji cards will be small in size and get a water-cooler based solution. AMD currently seems to be struggling with performance as they had aimed to be slightly faster than a GTX 980 Ti. The development costs for this GPU are high and apparently it performs around the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, some partners indicated that that the performance might acually be a notch lower. As such AMD is trying to see what they can do driver wise and see if the clock frequencies can be raised a little bit more to compensate for that. Then again, if this GPU already needs liquid cooling then that is indicative of a product that runs rather warm. So I am not sure how much leeway there is left for AMD. Of course, the performance of a GeForce GTX 980 Ti is pretty sweet, so to be in or at that level of performance is nothing to be ashamed about if the product is priced right.

The naming of the product is not yet finalized, but that is rumored to be Radeon Fury X. The card will definitely be announced during E3.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/computex-2015-exclusive-amd-fiji-gpu-die-photo.html

There is no die space saving including just HBM but PCB space savings which helps in power a bit but not nearly as much as the GPU core itself is what takes the most power.

That is a pretty generous estimate without seeing anything. I do expect a decent boost but I over the 290X but it remains to be seen. If it is only 4GB of HBM then it will be great for 1080P and 1440P but 4K will suffer a bit. I am reserving my judgment, it is only fair to not hype up a product when the last one was good but not amazing.

And if it is a Titan X/980Ti killer it will not be priced at $600. It will probably be priced near the current rumored figure.

This article says nothing about the naming at all and so far TweakTown has been pretty spot on with their information including the layout of the HBM on the die, the design of the Fiji XT cooler itself and the specs. THG doesn't tend to put news about rumors.

And the 380 has already been ousted as a rebrand of Tonga. It isn't bad, and I understand it because of the fact that HBM is expensive and it is not easy to just throw out an entirely new lineup of GPUs but I think they should have at least tried to have two lines of new GPUs with the rest being rebrands like they normally do.

I am still interested in the performance but I am also a bit worried about the power/heat since it is a 28nm part with way more SPUs than Hawaii XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.