Don't Be Surprised When Your Cheap PSU Blows Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Well, you get what you pay for. I may have spent over $200 on my Corsair HX1000, but this thing has been very reliable. (The first one they sent me was a dud, but they replaced it insanely quickly. My replacement one has run flawlessly for almost three years now, withstanding overclocking and pretty much anything I can throw at it. :)

cmcghee358

Distinguished
This makes me nervous. All of my components BUT my PSU are top tier. I bought my PSU many MANY moons ago when I was alot less experienced. 1000W for $99.99 HELL YES.

XION isn't as bad as these obviously, Ive run 4890s crossfired with a mild overclock on my 955. But the XION brand still makes me nervous.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
modular is the way to go. i got the 550 watt antec modular with 2 12v rails it is amazingly stable. as someone who bought cheapo PSU's for years and blamed everything else but the PSU for problems, Invest in a great/not good PSU and your comuter will love you for years without fail. then you can spend the rest of your time flaming apple for fun...

Thank you Toms for finally doing an article like this. It should be known that most cheap PSU's are just rebranded versions of what you see in this article, so buyer beware. Surely there is some reason why these things are not taken off the market? how can they get away with selling crap like this at all? And labelled way above the actual specs. I've seen some bad PSU's in my time but this is beyond shocking.

Marthian

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
thank goodness I didn't cheap out when I first started building computers. Although I guess I did get a cheap power supply (according to some), it was 550W for $50, and lasted 2 years (first year went through a fan swap), and then shortly after the two year mark it started failing. at least it lasted 1 year longer than the warranty.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Wow, scary stuff. I'm definitely not a fan of cheap power supplies to begin with, but I honestly don't think I've ever seen such POS performance out of even value oriented hardware. That was absolutely abysmal. If anything you definitely don't want to skimp on a power supply, especially if you're using high end components. It can be extremely important for the overall stability and longevity of your system.

I use an Enermax Modu87+ 700W unit, it's a highly rated Gold certified PSU. Upon release it was the most efficient PSU Anandtech had reviewed to date, and in conclusion it was one of the best PSU's they ever tested. While there are more efficient PSU's on the market now (80+ Platinum, and a few newer 80+ Gold's) I still consider the Modu87+ lineup top contenders in the high-end PSU market.

Highly recommended.

shades_aus

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I have had Everything from No brand to Antec die on more than one occasion.
I thought with a name like Antec, I would be safe. So not true.
Now I only buy SeaSonic. I have not had a problem since. I understand they are expensive however, so is my data. I have had too many bad experiences from cheap power supplies. Anything under $100 I think is a waste of money.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I will admit to having a cheap 550w power supply in my PC. I think I paid $20 for it new. I do not overclock, but I have 1 Sata hdd, 2 ATA hdd, a DVD burner, an ATI 2600hd video card, and a ATSC tv tuner card. It has been going good for about 3 yrs now. After reading this article I will be wary of cheap pwr supplies from now on though, got lucky on that one I suppose.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
After rereading a few sections of the article I have come up with cool article toms could do with the remaining cheapo PSUs. Make a custom cooling system (2 foot box fan + cardboard cone vent?) to cool down the PSUs circuit board and see if they can even be cranked up to their supposedly rated wattage.(Have the camera ready this time) Although creating such an article might send the wrong message to the uninformed.

G

All I know is that every single Antec supply I have bought over the years never made it past the five year mark before blowing up due to cheap Chinese caps.

galeener

Distinguished
I tell people all the time never to skimp on the power supply as its just trouble waiting to happen. Sometimes big trouble because will it not only die but may take your system components with it.
You see this in tons of forums, people end up blaming the company they bought it from. I mean really just because some one else is building your system it doesnt't mean you don't have to make good parts decisions.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
good one :) pity you did not film the last one exploding.

I guess you found out the explanation of the Double Power in the name (at least for the 500W one). The manufacturer simply double the construction rating in the marketing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.