News Don't Buy a Graphics Card for More than $500 Right Now

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
*chuckle *

I just ordered an AMD RX 6800 XT (the XFX Speedster MERC319) LITERALLY 22 HOURS AGO for roughly USD550. I simply couldn't wait any longer as I replaced my (12yr old) 1080p display with a new 43" 4K Freesync Premium Pro display primarily for work and secondarily for play and my RX470 4GB just won't cut the mustard anymore.

RDR2 getting FSR 2.1 also swayed my vote. Since my goal is to play RDR2 at 4k, I was eyeing a 3080 12GB, but the price just refused to drop in my country below roughly USD750.

This is the first time I'm "upgrading"/getting a new computer in pieces and not in one shot since roughly 1992, so it's a strange experience for me. :)

Reactions: martinch and RodroX

InvalidError

Titan
These new gpus will undoubtedly be faster, but how long will folks have to wait for supply to outpace scalpers?
Without another crypto-boom sucking up most of the first ~10 million next-gen GPUs straight from manufacturers, scalpers won't be able to turn much of a profit beyond the first month or two, which is about how long it normally takes for availability to stabilize after launch.

Also keep in mind that Nvidia was desperate to cancel 5nm wafer starts and TSMC told it to go play with itself, which means Nvidia may have many more RTX4000 dies available than it wanted to after sales slowed down on top of excess inventory of 3000-series parts.

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Bought my EVGA 3090 Ti Ultra 2 weeks ago for $1,257 "out the door". Considering I saw asking prices of $2200-$2500 months before...if you could get one...I did better than those who purchased before.

To me this was like buying a car when the new year model comes out. It's all about timing. If you buy early you always pay more, but get exactly what you want. If you wait until right before or after the new ones come out it's cheaper, but you have to pick from the left overs.

YMMV

Last edited:

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
I find it hard to believe you'll be able to buy a 4080 by Christmas. Historically even before the covid you had to overpay or get lucky.

Sep 1, 2022
this is terrible advice. 1. even if they launch in october, that's at least a good month without a gpu (if you're building new). 2. the prices will be no where near 900 for a 3090 ti at launch if history is any guide. double most likely. 3. if you buy now from a good dealer you should have 30 days to return should the stars align in our favor and there's stock at a reasonable price. 4. far better to take advantage of the 50% discounts on current gen now and then upgrade later if necessary. you could recoup at least 60-70% of your cost if you sell in the next 3-4 months. 5. do you really trust these companies to have stock for sale to the common man after the last gen fiasco? a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say...

Reactions: Krotow

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
this is terrible advice. 1. even if they launch in october, that's at least a good month without a gpu (if you're building new). 2. the prices will be no where near 900 for a 3090 ti at launch if history is any guide. double most likely. 3. if you buy now from a good dealer you should have 30 days to return should the stars align in our favor and there's stock at a reasonable price. 4. far better to take advantage of the 50% discounts on current gen now and then upgrade later if necessary. you could recoup at least 60-70% of your cost if you sell in the next 3-4 months. 5. do you really trust these companies to have stock for sale to the common man after the last gen fiasco? a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush as they say...
5, but not because of the last fiasco, experiencing 30 years of fiascos in some fashion or another. The bots will be better this time around and unless there were changes to manufacturing capabilities, the same limited supply as any first release of an in demand product. I'll have an opportunity to wait in line, but other than microcenter lottery good luck @ retail. This will be temporary, but dont forgot about artificial demand...

Sep 1, 2022
5, but not because of the last fiasco, experiencing 30 years of fiascos in some fashion or another. The bots will be better this time around and unless there were changes to manufacturing capabilities, the same limited supply as any first release of an in demand product. I'll have an opportunity to wait in line, but other than microcenter lottery good luck @ retail. This will be temporary, but dont forgot about artificial demand...
100%

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Let the scalpers pay for the troll the scalpers price premium initially but there will definitely be a significant sell off for the second hand market. Expect the 3090tis and 3090s used to sell closer to that price you mentioned. FYI Bestbuy had the MSI 3090 for $839 and has the MSI 3080ti for $739 new. Nvidia is trying to compete with second hand market directly especially after 2 year old ampere the yields are so good that they are still profitable and they still have room to move down in pricing by putting pressure from the top.

NeatOman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I was itching for a new GPU, but I think prices are still about $150 higher than they should be in the mid range. I might buy a used 6700 XT for $325 on ebay, but I really think i should wait for the 7000 series to drop and hopefully prices on older supplies drop like a rock :hearteyes:

1. I said if you need something right now, then stick with an interim purchase closer to $250.
  2. Toss out the past two years, because it's a glaring exception to the rule of how new GPU launches go. Historically, RTX 2070 basically matched GTX 1080 Ti performance for less money, less power, and more features. RTX 3070 basically matched RTX 2080 Ti performance while using less power, and the MSRP was half as high. GTX 1070 beat the GTX 980 Ti for a significantly lower price. And GTX 970 was more or less tied with GTX 780 Ti performance. You're looking at "history" of the past 24 months and I'm looking at every other GPU launch going back more than a decade.
  3. Buying with the intent to return is not something I condone. It's dishonest at best. Find someone with an upgrade policy if that's what you really want, but you'll pay for that as well.
  4. The only "50% discount" right now is on the RTX 3090 Ti, which was stupidly expensive at launch and even at half off is still way more than most people should spend on a GPU. All the reports of excess inventory mean such discounts are happening because Nvidia and its partners already know what's coming down the pipeline. RTX 3090 Ti is most likely being sold for as little as $1,079 at retail because Nvidia intends to launch a faster card at a lower price in the near future. I would be shocked if RTX 4080 debuts at more than a $999 MSRP, and possibly it will be less than that, and I still wager performance will exceed the RTX 3090 Ti.
  5. Bots will be around for scalpers to try, but probably 95% of people that paid scalper prices in 2021 did so because of cryptocurrency mining. Maybe they gamed on the side as well, but they were certainly hoping to offset the initial cost. When Ethereum undergoes The Merge (slated for next week), GPU mining profitability will drop by 50%. Who's going to buy a $1,000 GPU to make $1 per day? Because if that sounds enticing, why aren't all the miners already buying up all the RTX 3090 Ti cards that currently make $2 per day?

Mr. Smith

BANNED
Dec 25, 2021
It depends on what you want to do actually. If you only play games at 1080P then 3060ti is enough no matter what the game is. But, if you do 4k rendering. 3D pro modeling then you have to buy 3080ti. Moreover, the budget will depend on what you want to do with the Pc. For more info and PC component in Bangladesh I heavily rely on them they suggest some excellent builds. https://www.startech.com.bd/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Me who bought a 6800XT for 2000+ AUD back in February : chuckles... and cries
headline clearly doesn't apply to Australia as I hate to think what you expected to buy for that little here. Currently waiting to see what prices that charge for the 7800xt here. Might get a cheap 6800xt instead though all good models aren't reducing prices as much as I would like.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
to the OP. Well, prices lowering a bit more are good of course. Hopefully, that affects 3060 price as well.

however, started to reconsider.. thinking it's not really needed for me to buy a 3060 for this year. Pretty much all games in the house, including DNF Duel - new game for the playstation 5 is already run smoothly even at Ultra graphics settings by my 3050. A stronger gpu is not really needed at the moment, since I only game at 1080p. And another important factor is.. with all the hardships currently still happening in my country.. money is still hard to obtain even if I worked 8 hrs each day, 6 days a week - the fund buildup is slow.

hopefully, no crypto boom next year. So the prices would even be lower in 2023.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Toss out the past two years, because it's a glaring exception to the rule of how new GPU launches go. Historically, RTX 2070 basically matched GTX 1080 Ti performance for less money, less power, and more features. RTX 3070 basically matched RTX 2080 Ti performance while using less power, and the MSRP was half as high. GTX 1070 beat the GTX 980 Ti for a significantly lower price. And GTX 970 was more or less tied with GTX 780 Ti performance. You're looking at "history" of the past 24 months and I'm looking at every other GPU launch going back more than a decade
I can attest to GTX 980ti ~ GTX 1070 and RTX2080ti ~ RTX 3070 iso-performance from practical experience, which is why I find those tables rather useless, that compare GPUs generationally only based on their position within the range, rather than adding a performance per Watt comparison as well.

I'm usually not interested at getting the fastest availble GPU, but I have a set of use cases that I want to match for the lowest price.

After dozens of passive EGA/VGA cards, my first accelerated GPU was an IBM 8514 clone from ATI, the original Mach 8, and I've owned at least one of pretty much every generation since, often ATI/AMD and Nvidia units of the same generation side-by-side.

I've always been a fan of high resolutions and big screens, which usually turned into a performance issue with the GPUs after display updates. But never was the performanc abyss as bad as when I went from a multi-monitor setup with a primary 24" 1920x1200 screen a 4k 43" screen 3-4 years ago. That screen has given me a large workplace without visible pixels, which may be very hard to improve upon (can't see me going for a bigger or higher resolution screen on a desktop) but it drove up the requirements for gaming performance by a factor of almost four and beyond what high-end GPUs could do at reasonable frame rates.

While I've always used my computers professionally, the GPUs were mostly for a bit of gaming after hours. But that changed when my work drifted towards machine learning using a CUDA base. There I'd been pretty happy with a GTX 1080ti mini, because it did allow me to do quite a bit of CUDA work that actually paid for the hardare, ...until I did the 4k switch. Gaming at 4k was painful but lower resolutions would show pixels on the 43" screen that sits at arm's length.

The next RTX2080ti didn't improve the gaming performance nearly as much as it should have, but its ability to trade floating point precision for speed in machine learning, made it a worthwhile investment anyway.

Still its ~30FPS performance at 4k in one of my familys favorite games, ARK Survival Evolved, was rankling. And the other pet project, M$ Flights Simulator on an HP Reverb G1 VR headset was downright atrocious, even with a Ryzen 5950X underneath.

So here I was a couple of weeks ago, doing a similar assessment on if I should wait for an RTX40 card or go grab a high-end RTX30 before stockpiles ran out.

For starters RTX30 delivers even more lower precision data formats for machine learning and 24GB RAM means much bigger models can be trained and operated than with the 11GB the RTX 2080ti offers (Incidentally, that 20GB RTX3080 at $600 is at a great value spot there, which few seem to appreciate). Clearly a lot of the current models just don't fit into a consumer GPU's RAM any more. But since a double RAM 4080 doesn't seem to be in the books until very late in the 40 life-cycle, that meant I'd have to aim at the top.

450 Watts seem to be entry level for the 4090, truly crazy numbers are being tossed around for peak usage and that turned out to be the clincher: going from 200/250 Watts on GTX1080ti/RTX2080ti to 350 Watts on the RTX3090 was within the heat dissipation margin of the current chassis/ventilation and power supply (which still has to feed 200Watts of CPU, RAM, storage etc.) as well within the amount of heat I was tolerating in my home-lab. At 500 Watts or more for the GPU alone, it's very likely it can no longer sit under my desk in summer.

So I went with a 3090, which for some reason hasn't dropped more than €40 over the last two months in Europe.

Buying with the intent to return is not something I condone. It's dishonest at best. Find someone with an upgrade policy if that's what you really want, but you'll pay for that as well.
I'd tend to agree and yet I don't entirely at this point.

I'll freely admit, I was speculating on the legally prescribed 14 day return window, too. But the primary motivation was to know if it would deliver the gaming/simulator performance update I wanted for ARK@4k and FS in HP Reverb VR.

It failed to satisfy my gaming expectations, still falling short of a stable 60Hz on most of my mainstream titles, but it was at least noticeably better, no longer dropping to 30Hz.

In the case of Microsoft's flight simulator, it seems its abysmal performance, especially in VR mode, simply cannot be cured. I've got pretty much every other flight simulator, too, and they just race along at the FPS rates the monitor and HP Reverb headset support (I always limit the frame rates to the display capability).

But I was also quite ready to return and repurchase the card, if prices were entering free fall during that window.

Obviously the vendors are speculating on existing inventory to squeeze the last bit of revenue from consumers on expenses they have already incurred. At that point I believe it becomes almost fair for consumers to join that game.

Reactions: martinch

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
Without another crypto-boom sucking up most of the first ~10 million next-gen GPUs straight from manufacturers, scalpers won't be able to turn much of a profit beyond the first month or two, which is about how long it normally takes for availability to stabilize after launch.

Also keep in mind that Nvidia was desperate to cancel 5nm wafer starts and TSMC told it to go play with itself, which means Nvidia may have many more RTX4000 dies available than it wanted to after sales slowed down on top of excess inventory of 3000-series parts.

May I counterpoint your argument with the RTX 2xxx launch. Scalpers kept supply low for several months on launch on that series too. the 3000 series reinforced this behavior.

While nvidia may have plenty of dies, there is still a transportation shortage and component shortages, so I fully expect the 4000 series launch to be just as bad for several months.

May I counterpoint your argument with the RTX 2xxx launch. Scalpers kept supply low for several months on launch on that series too. the 3000 series reinforced this behavior.
I have no recollection of this happening, at least in the US. When I was covering the RTX 20-series launches, the biggest issue was that Nvidia launched Founders Edition cards a month before any other model using the same GPU, and charged a $100 price premium. Coupled with that was a relatively large jump in generational pricing. RTX 2080 Ti at $1,199 replaced the Titan Xp in price and improved performance in games, but without the Titan features — and let's be clear, hardly any gamers buy Titan cards. You couldn't buy a 2080 Ti for under $1200 for most of its life cycle, other than the occasional $999 EVGA RTX 2080 Black that would immediately sell out. It wasn't so much that demand was high, it was that supply was kept low on certain models.

Scalpers, though? I don't remember anything happening there with the 20-series cards, or AMD's later RX 5000-series. Scalpers really only hit the 30-series hard at launch because it was a big jump in generational performance and a drop in pricing. RTX 3080 was ~25% faster than the 2080 Ti for $699 instead of $1199. People were super excited for that. Even the 3090 was attractive to some, at $1499, though supply of 3090 wasn't great at launch. Prices were maybe 30~50% marked up by scalpers in September/October of 2020, which felt awful... until the crypto rush hit and prices basically doubled in a week's period. Also, scalpers blossomed thanks to so many people being out of work or on a forced leave of absence due to Covid.

The only other time I really remember scalpers being an issue prior to 2020 was in late 2017 and early 2018, where we also had a crypto rush. That didn't last more than a few months, however, and but the time RTX 20-series came out with crypto-influenced pricing, things had very much settled down. Prices actually collapsed not long after the 20-series launched, which caused demand from crypto to completely dry up.

I don't buy a graphics card for more than $500 ever. Spending double on a GPU for 30% more performance never seemed like a "value" proposition to me. If you look at the price : performance scaling on GPUs the high-end stuff is always rubbish value. I mean an RTX 3090Ti struggles to be twice as fast as an RTX 3060, but it costs like ~4x the price.

Well a lot of people out there like to get bigger and higher resolution monitors (and higher graphics quality settings in game). If you like being imprisoned to the $500 GPU world (as if inflation never happens like why we can't buy a Big Mac for $2.99 USD anymore, among other things like raw materials cost increases), then by all means enjoy the gaming world they provide for you. But others think differently.

By the way: in gaming at 4K resolution, that 30% more performance increase you reference may mean the difference between nailing a solid 60FPS and not, or running full quality settings or not, or successfully upgrading to 4K from 1440p or not, and for a lot of people out there that is important. Or in the case of an RTX 3080, will be 100% faster (double the FPS) than your RTX 2060.

Last edited:
Toss out the past two years, because it's a glaring exception to the rule of how new GPU launches go. Historically, RTX 2070 basically matched GTX 1080 Ti performance for less money, less power, and more features. RTX 3070 basically matched RTX 2080 Ti performance while using less power, and the MSRP was half as high. GTX 1070 beat the GTX 980 Ti for a significantly lower price. And GTX 970 was more or less tied with GTX 780 Ti performance. You're looking at "history" of the past 24 months and I'm looking at every other GPU launch going back more than a decade

Thank you Jarred. Way too many people have lost perspective of history and what every new generation offers, specifically revolving around the price point for performance. People continue to have a mentality that a previous series generation should be in the ball park same price point as the newest one. You pretty much nailed the examples. I get so tired of the whining about GPU prices. I paid $535 (USD) in 2012 for my whopping EVGA SC 2GB GTX 680 which is in today's dollars roughly $690. The last time I checked in these declining (normalizing?) GPU prices, that $690 got you an RTX 3060 Ti prior to the GPU price bubble burst. A GPU that is faster than the $699 2019 released RTX 2080 Super.

Back to my $690 today dollar GTX 680? It's completely unusable in any games today. All the whiners out there just need to sit down, sell their PC hardware, and buy a new console every 7 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU