DON'T SUPPORT nvidia SLI FOR HDTVS OR ANYTHING ELSE

dji2as

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Just wanted to give you guys head up that nvidia is not standing behind there sli support. I post my problems on slizone forum. Instead of answer my thread was locked. Sli can't support many games and tvs with resolution of 1080i. With so many drivers update they still can't get it down. Now they are moving to quad sli. I wish i hadn't done it and bought x1900xt with decent single slot motherboard.

Here is copy of my post on the slizone and nvidias response

1080i HDTV:: DON'T DO SLI WASTE OF MONEY Options

Track this topic
Email this topic
Print this topic
Download this topic
Subscribe to this forum
Switch to: Outline
Standard
Switch to: Linear+ dji2as Today, 01:54 PM Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,290
CLUB SLI Member: No

Beating my head against the wall after building a SLI computer with all the Hype around it. I was on Budget but wanted future awsome power full SLI computer with very decent motherboard. I got 650i ASUS PN5-E SLI board and two BFG 7600GTs for my setup. I plug the computer in my 3 months old 40" Samsung 1080i/720p TV. At first i am so happy, then i start the games and like many others here unable to run games over 720p resolution in sli mode. I can't play DOOM 3 and UT2004 on my TV with SLI enabled. SLI technology is over a year old. There have been so many drivers update. Yet this issue exists. I could have saved money or bought decent single mother board and one decent card. So far the second card is yet to show significant gain. I really thought all the people that bash SLI were so called haters. But I am beating my head against the wall. So lesson learned are:

DON'T DO SLI IF YOU PLAN ON USING YOUR EXPENSIVE HDTV WITH 1080I RESOLUTION BECAUSE NVIDIA DOESN'T GIVE 2 F@*%S ABOUT SLI ANYMORE.. THEY JUST WANT TO FORGET ABOUT THIS ISSUE.. F@#$ YOU NVIDIA.. YOU A$$HO@#S..

Full Edit
Quick Edit ChrisRay Today, 02:56 PM Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 11
CLUB SLI Member: No

I understand that you are frustrated. Please refrain from making these types of posts in the future.

Chris

AndonSage

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Instead of answer my thread was locked.
With language like that, it's no wonder it was locked. Perhaps if you had asked for help in a mature manner without bad language, you would have gotten help.

Just my $.02

k61824

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2005
2 Things:
1) Did nVidia say they do not support such resolutions for SLI? if they didn't you might want to ASK the other people in the forum how to work it out (well, if they didn't, they expect you to have read it to begin with)
2) If you leave the [non-sociable] language out of the post (and perhaps rephrase your opinions a bit) it would have been a more legit stand for you to complain against them locking your post

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
Talking like a sailor kind of like is shooting yourself in the foot.

It's like calling the police for help and telling them **** the police on the same phone call.

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
It's your fault for trying to do something that wasn't officially stated as an option, then blaming them? It says the highest resolution supported via HDTV in SLI mode is 1080i, and that doesn't mean 720p is supported:
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#s10

Being a jerk on a forum isn't going to get anyone to listen to you.. so go away. Props to their moderators for locking your thread and spending time helping others who ASK questions nicely, not blasting the company. People in customer service LOVE dealing with people like you.. it makes their job easy. *click* dial tone... just like *click* thread locked.

dji2as

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
It's your fault for trying to do something that wasn't officially stated as an option, then blaming them? It says the highest resolution supported via HDTV in SLI mode is 1080i, and that doesn't mean 720p is supported:
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#s10

Being a jerk on a forum isn't going to get anyone to listen to you.. so go away. Props to their moderators for locking your thread and spending time helping others who ASK questions nicely, not blasting the company. People in customer service LOVE dealing with people like you.. it makes their job easy. *click* dial tone... just like *click* thread locked.

did you even read the post?? problem is its not supporting 1080i.. BTW it plays 720p very well...

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
I think your first mistake was to buy two mid/lowend cards to SLI. You could have bought one high-end card and gotten better performance.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
The cards certainly are not HDCP compliant. In fact, from what I've read, no cards are. Not even the cards marked HDCP compliant are in fact HDCP compliant (ongoing class-action lawsuit about that one).

In either case, this does not matter, as games don't go through any HDCP DRM code. The HDCP is only required to play HD DVD or Blue-Ray movies so far.

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Is it too late to RMA the video cards? As stated by another poster, you'll get more consistently improved performance with a single 7900 card over two 7600 cards. Even better, put in an 8800, or take out your anger at Nvidia by giving your business to ATI with a 1950.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Is it possible that it isnt nVidia's fault but the fault of your system?

Frankly, I ahte it when people turn things around like that. Especially given that most of the time it is the products fault... I work in a support environment, and while users do make mistakes it usually isn't their fault IMHO.

If it states we support x resolution with x setup then the rest of your PC shouldn't matter as long as it meets any other specs listed. I don't doubt its a driver problem as other manufacturers are having similar issues (PS3 anyone?). Hardly surprising since nvidia's chip won't run 1080i on the PS3 either.... considering the resources available at these two companies and the size of the issue I hardly think we should be blaming the users...

*Shrug* I still think SLI is a poor value proposition. Usually (as was mentioned) you do far better getting a good graphics card than two mediocre cards... but hey 2 sounds better than 1 right?

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Apparently according to Windows Vista, anything considered "Premium" content will require HDCP components. I believe that includes audio (SACDs anyone) as well. I'm not sure if games will be considered "Premium" content but knowing the industry, I can easily see it being labeled it as such in the future. Although by that time, most people will be running HDCP compliant hardware anyways due to marketing pressure.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Is it possible that it isnt nVidia's fault but the fault of your system?

Frankly, I ahte it when people turn things around like that. Especially given that most of the time it is the products fault... I work in a support environment, and while users do make mistakes it usually isn't their fault IMHO.

If it states we support x resolution with x setup then the rest of your PC shouldn't matter as long as it meets any other specs listed. I don't doubt its a driver problem as other manufacturers are having similar issues (PS3 anyone?). Hardly surprising since nvidia's chip won't run 1080i on the PS3 either.... considering the resources available at these two companies and the size of the issue I hardly think we should be blaming the users...

*Shrug* I still think SLI is a poor value proposition. Usually (as was mentioned) you do far better getting a good graphics card than two mediocre cards... but hey 2 sounds better than 1 right?

Sorry for suggesting something... :roll:

It is possible though, right?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
With a post like that I would have locked then banned you from the site. I noticed that you only had 5 posts on the entire site, if that topic was your first post then you definitely deserved it.

If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Quite frankly, you should have known better than to get two mid range cards to SLI when any one higher end card (for the same price) will out perform it.

and no, despite my avatar I do NOT work for NVidia...

Sethanis

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
just wondering, was it $1200 for the 2 7600GT's cause if it was i woulda spent $800 on 2 7950GT's instead or better yet $1500 on 2 8800GTS's

just basing this on prices in Oz, AUD

dji2as

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Quite frankly, you should have known better than to get two mid range cards to SLI when any one higher end card (for the same price) will out perform it.

and no, despite my avatar I do NOT work for NVidia...

wayland.. my thoughts exactly.. 7600gt is midrange.. i got god price on 2 cards.. i thought is SLI they will preform very well or up to one good card like 7950gt or close to it .. and they do.. i can play dOOM 3 on my 20 inch monitor at ultra setings.. but i can't even get it load up my hdtv at 1080i.. this is apprently a known issue for very long time.. and if i had looked past the hype of whole sli thing i would have baught a single 7950gt and a better non-sli motherboard.. my whole system is built around sli.. and now i will have to go to one 8800gts if i want to play games on my tv.. and my motherboard is useless.. till i get another 8800gts..

bobert866

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I think that is pretty crappy of Nvidia to handle it like that. I deal with people that get rude and curse at my job almost the whole time there yet I'm still polite and treat them with respect. I think if Nvidia wants to keep there customers then they should address there problems and not lock there threads. They should know that this stuff is going to happen from time to time and handle it accordingly and not just sweep it under the rug. Not to say this is going to affect many people its just I'd like to see them step up and handle situations like i do at my job. BTW a graphics setup of that cost should support 1080 resolutions at this time. It isnt like this is something that was just created yesterday.

pottymonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
this is apprently a known issue for very long time.. and if i had looked past the hype of whole sli thing i would have baught a single 7950gt and a better non-sli motherboard.. my whole system is built around sli.. and now i will have to go to one 8800gts if i want to play games on my tv.. and my motherboard is useless.. till i get another 8800gts..
well theres your problem. you didnt research it enough. bingo-bango.

doesnt take a genius, just common sense.

dji2as

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
yeah.. with all the hype around nvidia i fell right in there trap.. just like many others.. now i have two cards motherboard and power supply for sli.. and it doesn't do what is advertise.. well lesson learned is.. sli is to sell more equipment with minimal gain for the consumer

halfassed

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
MY system supports 1080i/p... and others as well. Why? Because I am smart enough to investigate my equipment purchases well in advance. And instead of worrying about 'bang' for the 'buck' above all, I pick a performance point THEN worry about cost, not the other way around. You are trying to live beyond your means, buying a couple of midrange 7600GTs to substitute for ONE monster card, two that you will be stuck with later. You need to bite the bullet and just get a 1080p HDTV instead of being cheap. There are just some things you just can't be cheap about. Everyone loves to save a few bucks here and there, but you've cut too many corners and now don't have what you wanted. Your grammar and spelling are terrible and you obviously can't seem to grasp that you get what you pay for. Want more? Pay more... can't pay? Quit wanting...

Beating my head against the wall after building a SLI computer with all the Hype around it. I was on Budget but wanted future awsome power full SLI computer with very decent motherboard. I got 650i ASUS PN5-E SLI board and two BFG 7600GTs for my setup. I plug the computer in my 3 months old 40" Samsung 1080i/720p TV. At first i am so happy, then i start the games and like many others here unable to run games over 720p resolution in sli mode. I can't play DOOM 3 and UT2004 on my TV with SLI enabled. SLI technology is over a year old. There have been so many drivers update. Yet this issue exists. I could have saved money or bought decent single mother board and one decent card. So far the second card is yet to show significant gain. I really thought all the people that bash SLI were so called haters. But I am beating my head against the wall. So lesson learned are:

Nvidia probably classed you as an idiot, especially with you cussing at them! DOOM 3 and UT2004 aren't supported games, they do have a list of supported games, you might try doing a little research before you start blaming them for your mistakes.

Just because you have a 40" Samsung doesn't mean its supported either, they also have a list for that too, your GPUs are supported and gamewise F.E.A.R. and Flight Sim X, but try being a little nicer and you may get better support.

If you do not meet all of Nvidias requirements, its not going to work for you, and thats not their fault, its plainly posted at the website. As far as you dissing SLI I've been running it for almost a year now, and not every game can run it but the ones that can are awesome, I have no complaints, the games that can't run on it really aren't worth a crap anyway.

dji2as

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
UT2004 and Doom3 are supported.. its on the list.. I am able to run doom3 on ultra settings on my 20" wide lcd..