Doom 3 Redux

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I gave Doom 3 a bit of a slagging when it came out last year,
simply for being a monotonous corridor shooter, for the
shotgun not being fun and the weapons having wimpy
sounds.

Well, I saw a few gameplay mods floating around, including
the Classic Shotgun mod that changes the shotgun to a more
"Doom 1/2" mode (the rate of fire is increased and the spread
is reduced - but reload time is doubled and number of pellets
is reduced to balance it out) and the Trent Reznor Sound Mod,
which gives the weapons a more rocking sound. Taking a break
from Bloodlines (the constant loading is starting to bug me,
especially moving back and forth between areas I know), I decided
to give these a go and indulge in some mindless blasting.

This simple enhancements _really_ have improved the game
for me. Fighting with the shotgun now is a lot more fun when you
know that, if you time it right and get up close, you can kill
some monsters with one shot. Not that it makes things easy -
there's plenty of times where you run out of shots during
a fight and need to switch to another weapon. Here, the
simple expediency of using a 5-mouse button, and mapping
MOUSE2 to MOUSE5 to weapons to help swap quickly
between them, really helps.

And as you progress through the game, the jump-out-of
closers behaviour from many of the monsters becomes
(mercifully) less irritating.

So if like me, you find Doom annoying the first time around,
give some of these mods a try:

http://doom.neoseeker.com/DOOM_3/PC/pages/mods/

--
-pm

"The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
to send back soup in a deli."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Paul Moloney" <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d48pdt$r0k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>I gave Doom 3 a bit of a slagging when it came out last year,
> simply for being a monotonous corridor shooter, for the
> shotgun not being fun and the weapons having wimpy
> sounds.
>
> Well, I saw a few gameplay mods floating around, including
> the Classic Shotgun mod that changes the shotgun to a more
> "Doom 1/2" mode (the rate of fire is increased and the spread
> is reduced - but reload time is doubled and number of pellets
> is reduced to balance it out) and the Trent Reznor Sound Mod,
> which gives the weapons a more rocking sound. Taking a break
> from Bloodlines (the constant loading is starting to bug me,
> especially moving back and forth between areas I know), I decided
> to give these a go and indulge in some mindless blasting.
>
> This simple enhancements _really_ have improved the game
> for me. Fighting with the shotgun now is a lot more fun when you
> know that, if you time it right and get up close, you can kill
> some monsters with one shot. Not that it makes things easy -
> there's plenty of times where you run out of shots during
> a fight and need to switch to another weapon. Here, the
> simple expediency of using a 5-mouse button, and mapping
> MOUSE2 to MOUSE5 to weapons to help swap quickly
> between them, really helps.
>
> And as you progress through the game, the jump-out-of
> closers behaviour from many of the monsters becomes
> (mercifully) less irritating.
>
> So if like me, you find Doom annoying the first time around,
> give some of these mods a try:
>
> http://doom.neoseeker.com/DOOM_3/PC/pages/mods/
>
> --
> -pm
>
> "The sea was angry that day, my friends. Like an old man trying
> to send back soup in a deli."
>
>
Possible Spoiler!
..
..
..
..

..
..
..
Give Resurrection of Evil a go. It has the double barrel shotgun! Same type
of thing as the mod you're referring to. You have to reload with every shot,
which takes a little bit of time, but can take out most creatures with one
blast within a close distance. Not to mention the grabber. Nothing more fun
than grabbing those damn ankle biting cherubs and whipping them against the
wall, killing them instantly.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Paul Moloney wrote:
> This simple enhancements _really_ have improved the game
> for me.
snip
> So if like me, you find Doom annoying the first time around,
> give some of these mods a try:

> http://doom.neoseeker.com/DOOM_3/PC/pages/mods/

Thanks. If the game had been fun from the launch day it had been better.
Now it's a lost case, there are so many games and so little time that it
is not worth the trouble.

Greetings.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Cost too much. I'll wait 'til the price goes down some.

"> >
> Possible Spoiler!
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> .
> .
> .
> Give Resurrection of Evil a go. It has the double barrel shotgun! Same
type
> of thing as the mod you're referring to. You have to reload with every
shot,
> which takes a little bit of time, but can take out most creatures with one
> blast within a close distance. Not to mention the grabber. Nothing more
fun
> than grabbing those damn ankle biting cherubs and whipping them against
the
> wall, killing them instantly.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Paul Moloney"<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> in
d48pdt$r0k$1@domitilla.aioe.org
>I gave Doom 3 a bit of a slagging when it came out last year,
> simply for being a monotonous corridor shooter, for the
> shotgun not being fun and the weapons having wimpy
> sounds.
>
> Well, I saw a few gameplay mods floating around, including
> the Classic Shotgun mod that changes the shotgun to a more
> "Doom 1/2" mode (the rate of fire is increased and the spread
> is reduced - but reload time is doubled and number of pellets
> is reduced to balance it out) and the Trent Reznor Sound Mod,
> which gives the weapons a more rocking sound. Taking a break
> from Bloodlines (the constant loading is starting to bug me,
> especially moving back and forth between areas I know), I decided
> to give these a go and indulge in some mindless blasting.
>
> This simple enhancements _really_ have improved the game
> for me. Fighting with the shotgun now is a lot more fun when you
> know that, if you time it right and get up close, you can kill
> some monsters with one shot. Not that it makes things easy -
> there's plenty of times where you run out of shots during
> a fight and need to switch to another weapon. Here, the
> simple expediency of using a 5-mouse button, and mapping
> MOUSE2 to MOUSE5 to weapons to help swap quickly
> between them, really helps.
>
> And as you progress through the game, the jump-out-of
> closers behaviour from many of the monsters becomes
> (mercifully) less irritating.
>
> So if like me, you find Doom annoying the first time around,
> give some of these mods a try:
>
> http://doom.neoseeker.com/DOOM_3/PC/pages/mods/

yeah I had these mods and the duct tape mod from the start, plus I adjusted
the gamma to make the ambiance more normal so everything wasn't so dark.

--
"Cadenza: The orchestra's favourite part of a solo concerto, when they
can get on with reading Playboy, Autocar, etc... while the soloist
sweats it out alone... Traditionally [cadenzas] would end with a
prolonged trill, the nearest musical equivalent to an alarm-clock, its
purpose being to rouse the orchestra from slumber - the ones who have
nothing to read, that is." - Antony Hopkins, Doronbeat Music Guide
(1977)

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
 

Toby

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
250
0
18,780
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 2005-04-21, Paul Moloney <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I saw a few gameplay mods floating around, including
> the Classic Shotgun mod that changes the shotgun to a more
> "Doom 1/2" mode (the rate of fire is increased and the spread
> is reduced - but reload time is doubled and number of pellets
> is reduced to balance it out) and the Trent Reznor Sound Mod,
> which gives the weapons a more rocking sound. Taking a break
> from Bloodlines (the constant loading is starting to bug me,
> especially moving back and forth between areas I know), I decided
> to give these a go and indulge in some mindless blasting.

> This simple enhancements _really_ have improved the game
> for me. Fighting with the shotgun now is a lot more fun when you
> know that, if you time it right and get up close, you can kill
> some monsters with one shot.

You can kill imps with one shot of the default shotgun.

Cheers for your post, though. I'd not played D3 for weeks and put these
mods in last night. I'm just entering some caverns and, well, either I'd
forgotten how good this game looked, or the caverns are better looking
that what went before, or both, but jesus the graphics blew me away!

Trent's pistol sound is a bit OTT, but I never really use the pistol
anyway.

I want them to put the Quake 2 single barrel shotgun in D3 - that's got
to be my fave shotgun ever.


--
Toby.
Add the word afiduluminag to the subject
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:52:21 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
<magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>Possible Spoiler!
>.
>.
>.
>.
>
>.
>.
>.
>Give Resurrection of Evil a go. It has the double barrel shotgun! Same type
>of thing as the mod you're referring to. You have to reload with every shot,
>which takes a little bit of time, but can take out most creatures with one
>blast within a close distance. Not to mention the grabber. Nothing more fun
>than grabbing those damn ankle biting cherubs and whipping them against the
>wall, killing them instantly.

That last one sounds suspiciously like the gravity gun from HL2.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:g3ei61t56udvuercf9maqkv9mg2t6c66sk@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 19:52:21 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
> <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote:
>>Possible Spoiler!
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>Give Resurrection of Evil a go. It has the double barrel shotgun! Same
>>type
>>of thing as the mod you're referring to. You have to reload with every
>>shot,
>>which takes a little bit of time, but can take out most creatures with one
>>blast within a close distance. Not to mention the grabber. Nothing more
>>fun
>>than grabbing those damn ankle biting cherubs and whipping them against
>>the
>>wall, killing them instantly.
>
> That last one sounds suspiciously like the gravity gun from HL2.

Yes. id suggests that it was available as a tool during development. It is
different from HL2 however in that you can only hold items for a few seconds
before they drop, so there isn't much time to do a whole lot with it, but it
is nice to be able to throw around those damn cherubs.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

HockeyTownUSA wrote:

> Yes. id suggests that it was available as a tool during development.
> It is different from HL2 however in that you can only hold items for
> a few seconds before they drop, so there isn't much time to do a
> whole lot with it, but it is nice to be able to throw around those
> damn cherubs.

Grabbing enemies and fireballs were nice, but the Gravity Gun in HL2 was
better implemented. Doom 3's grabber was more like an ammoless weapon.