'Doom' Showcased With Impressive Framerates On GTX 1080 And Vulkan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay but how does it compare to other GPUs? I can run Roller Coaster Tycoon at 5000FPS on Intel integrated graphics if that game wasn't capped; sounds impressive, but when you realize the game runs on a 1995 engine, it isn't.

megajynx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Yay Vulkan! I'd love to see how Vulkan compares to Microsoft's API DX 11 and 12 in benchmarks...

and in a moment of brief honesty the geeky biased fanboy inside me wants to see the Vulkan rebellion crush the DirectX empire.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Okay but how does it compare to other GPUs? I can run Roller Coaster Tycoon at 5000FPS on Intel integrated graphics if that game wasn't capped; sounds impressive, but when you realize the game runs on a 1995 engine, it isn't.

not sure if joke or not,
doom is new, old doom is cpu bound, and likely caps at around 2000~ without a cpu oc, 3000 with.

GTX1080 is about 25% faster than a GTX980Ti.

Vulkan demo hard to compare to DX12 or DX11. We don't know how mature the NVidia Vulkan drivers are or how well they've tweaked the game towards this.

It's just nice to see Vulkan being supported for those of us interested in Linux.

deuce_23

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
they reckon the gtx 1080 is twice as fast as an gtx 980 and thats without HBM. It will retail for $599 usd ish. Im thinking to try and sell my gtx980ti asus Poseidon for $1000 AUD i paid $1400 6 months ago that should get me a gtx 1080 or i could wait for the gtx 1080 ti .

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

they are likely talking about stock speeds here, we don't know the overclockability here.
granted you may want to move to the 1080 for the sake of better drivers as the 900 line will be second billing when the 1000's come out, and what if the 1000's can do something well that the 900 cant and nvidia decides to do that to a stupid extent in gameworks (see the 700 compared to 900 in tessellation, and how over the top they made it when 16x and 64x have no discernible difference, yet they decided 64x or nothing and sacrificed old card performance)

1) my GTX680 still runs great, so I don't think drivers are a big concern.

2) *The biggest advantage the GTX1000 series has is support for VR. They are using new technologies which can improve rendering for the TWO separate images which boost performance by 40% to 60%.

In their demo they got about 66FPS with that feature turned off, and over 90FPS with it enabled (probably the code looks for common data it doesn't have to replicate). So about 1.5X boost which is a big part of the "2X better than Titan X" statement. Again, that is strictly VR for that statement and NOT for regular single-monitor gaming (though the same tech can benefit TRIPLE monitor setups).

There was also optimization for multi-monitors to adjust positioning so things line up with the side monitors, though I believe you'd likely need new games with this code baked in.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
you know what, doom is a poor game to test, it's full of closed spaces and corridors not much stress put on a graphic card,
I'd be impressed with FPS if it would run GTA 5 Doom mod @ 4k

I see many confusion about 1080 being 2x faster compared to this and that.

During the presentation JHH mention that 1080 will about equal to 980SLI. to be 2 times faster than titan x they need 1080 to be at least as fast as titan x in SLI. AFAIK 1080 are almost equal to 2 titan x is referring to VR application only. This is due to new tech/hardware they have in pascal.

Also it seems nvidia is pushing for vulkan more than DX12. Maybe beause they were better than AMD in Vulkan? There are review comparing DX11, OpenGL and Vulkan with principle of talos. Regardless of frame rate (because i don't remember the exact number of FPS) Fury X is faster than 980ti in DX11. But with Vulkan 980ti come out on top. Though both Vulkan numbers are batter than their opengl counter part.

G

Nvidia 1080 GTX is going to be a strong punch at MS face and their exclusivity <mod edit> with DX12. 1080 GTX -> you don't need Windows 10, and you don't need DX12.

milk_inc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
"id Software was one of the first developers to support OpenGL"
Wow, it's hard to imagine how opengl survived for an entire decade before id started using it.
Well Opengl is older (1992) than directx(1995), second a lot of cad design use opengl, lot of programs that is not just focus on gaming, use opengl when need graphics rendering, also on the web there is web gl and bunch of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.