DoomRL 0.9.6 Released!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

David Damerell .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> quoting Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl>:
>>So, regarding this, the "chaingun" seems to be a submachine gun as it uses
>>pistol ammo, so it should have a single shot mode also.
>
> This is a pointless argument from realism. Doom's chaingun fills the
> function of an SMG; fires pistol ammo quickly. But it's depicted as a
> rotary-barrel gun. It's not like any real weapon anyway.

Realism has something to do with gameplay, it gives some indication what
unrealistic things could be and behave. Unrealistic things also follow the
same logic rules as realistic ones. (Look at 95% of the aliens from movies,
they are more less human-like, human-thinking, etc.) This is the interest
of exploring the reality. Why proceed by blind experiment, when all the
knowledge verified by the centuries of human experiences are just around
the corner? No point to create everything from the scratch.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

quoting Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl>:
>David Damerell .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>>quoting Loonie <loonie2@tlen.pl>:
>>>So, regarding this, the "chaingun" seems to be a submachine gun as it uses
>>>pistol ammo, so it should have a single shot mode also.
>>This is a pointless argument from realism. Doom's chaingun fills the
>>function of an SMG; fires pistol ammo quickly. But it's depicted as a
>>rotary-barrel gun. It's not like any real weapon anyway.
>Realism has something to do with gameplay,

That's a neat vague argument you have there, but it doesn't really tell us
anything about how DoomRL's chaingun should work.

Contrawise, "if you want a single-shot weapon you'll have to use an
inventory slot up" does.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Tuesday, January.

David Damerell wrote:
> quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>>> Does the double shotgun fire two shots at once, and is it supposed
>>> to do so? For some reason I thought it would be a general shotgun
>>> that fired twice before having to be reloaded.
>> No, the original doom double shotgun fired two shells at once.
>
> If it's like the original SSG, it should be possible to load and fire
> one shell if and only if you have exactly one shell.

Well it is ;D. It does normal shotgun damage then :-D

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

David Damerell .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>>Realism has something to do with gameplay,

> That's a neat vague argument you have there, but it doesn't really tell us
> anything about how DoomRL's chaingun should work.
> Contrawise, "if you want a single-shot weapon you'll have to use an
> inventory slot up" does.

Ok, I can live with that. :)

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:41:42 +0100, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> I think you removed the line "mode con lines=25". Try removing only the cp
> select line.

I didn't remove that, but I think the strange results are Windows's
fault. I'll have to try that "updated console colors" patch someone
posted here...

> AFAIR you can choose the *.bat file and use the normal properties dialog. Or
> you can create a shortcut to the *.bat file. If that doesn't do the trick
> you can always use "cd Full_Directory_Path" line (eg "cd E:\Adom\").

Thank you! That works like wonder! And quite simple too... :p Too simple
to realize on my own, it seems!

Janne Jonsuu,
Endoperez

TRENDING THREADS